It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #1
(female)

lisaann1 HB User
Dr. isnt testing me properly. Need advise

HI everyone. I have a couple quick questions and hope you all can help me. I had 1/2 of my thyroid removed 3 years ago due to a goiter. My TSH back then was around .80 or so. Since my surgery, I have not been on any meds. My Endo will only test for TSH and total T4. I've never had any other test done for my thyroid. My latest round of blood work came back with a TSH of 2.52 (which is the highest its ever been) and my total T4 of 9 (range is 4.5 - 12). I've read that other tests should be done like free T3 and free T4 and also antibodies? Based on what my results are now, am I officially hypothyroid?
I went into my appt today because of increase hair loss, tiredness and the newest symptoms of all over muscle fatigue when using my muscles for everyday activites. The doc told me that yes my thyroid was on its way towards not working, but he wasnt going to put me on any meds until I expeience muscle cramps, coldness when its warm and constipation. I dont have any of those symptoms so he thinks I'm still OK.
Based on your experiences and what your doc does for you, what should I do?
Thanks so much!
Lisa

Old 04-07-2011, 11:36 AM   #2
(female)

leighsa200 HB Userleighsa200 HB Userleighsa200 HB Userleighsa200 HB Userleighsa200 HB Userleighsa200 HB Userleighsa200 HB User
Re: Dr. isnt testing me properly. Need advise

I would definately push for some thyroid replacement meds, and if your current doctor refuses I would see another one.

I know for myself when my tsh and t4 is similar to yours I get many hypo symptoms, and do not feel well with my tsh over 2.

If you are having symptoms now, why wait if it's only going to get worse. I don't understand the doctor wanting to wait for specific symptoms?! If he admits your're heading hypo why make it more difficult to feel normal again instead of treating before you get worse?

Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

You need to plead your case by telling this guy that, even though your TSH is within the "normal" range, perhaps it isn't normal for you. Then firmly ask for a thyroid hormone prescription. Yes, you are definitely hypo now, but don't presume most endos would understand that. If this guy won't cooperate, find someone better.

Last edited by midwest1; 04-07-2011 at 12:22 PM.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

I wholeheartedly agree with what's already been said.

My thyroid-savvy doctor (#5 'cuz the 4 before her were clueless) Rx'd levothyroxine for me with "better" (less hypo) levels than yours.

It's worth the fight 'cuz it does take awhile to optimize your levels...the longer you wait, the sicker you'll get.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:42 AM   #5
(female)

Alexandra23 HB UserAlexandra23 HB UserAlexandra23 HB UserAlexandra23 HB User

Why would a competent doctor wait until you had specific symptoms?

Quote:
The doc told me that yes my thyroid was on its way towards not working, but he wasnt going to put me on any meds until I expeience muscle cramps, coldness when its warm and constipation.
People suffering from hypothyroid suffer any number of different symptoms (from a long possible list). Some only ever suffer one!

I didn't have constipation (I had the opposite, which I found out was due to me drinking too much Diet Coke, for the caffeine). I didn't have muscle cramps but I had (and still do get) muscle exhaustion.

To be honest when I saw what your doctor said I just thought "what an idiot".

Old 04-09-2011, 10:08 AM   #6
(female)

lisaann1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandra23 View Post
Why would a competent doctor wait until you had specific symptoms?

I didn't have constipation (I had the opposite, which I found out was due to me drinking too much Diet Coke, for the caffeine). I didn't have muscle cramps but I had (and still do get) muscle exhaustion.

To be honest when I saw what your doctor said I just thought "what an idiot".
Alexandra
You mentioned that you have muscle exhaustion. What exactly do you mean by that? How does it feel and what brings it on. For the last 3 weeks I've had muscle exhaustion/fatigue while doing normal everyday tasks that require me to hold my arms up ( folding clothes, brushing my teeth etc.) I also get easily fatigued in my had muscles and even sometimes while chewing. I mentioned this to my Endo because I am very concerend about it and he didnt really address it. I wonder if its thyroid related?

Old 04-09-2011, 03:03 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaann1 View Post
Alexandra
You mentioned that you have muscle exhaustion. What exactly do you mean by that? How does it feel and what brings it on. For the last 3 weeks I've had muscle exhaustion/fatigue while doing normal everyday tasks that require me to hold my arms up ( folding clothes, brushing my teeth etc.) I also get easily fatigued in my had muscles and even sometimes while chewing. I mentioned this to my Endo because I am very concerend about it and he didnt really address it. I wonder if its thyroid related?
Muscle weakness is a symptom of hypothyroidism.

You might want to take a peek at the list of hypothyroidism symptoms in the thyroid information section here.

Another resource is to Google hypothyroid symptoms and look especially for those compiled from patients' experiences.

There are easily 60-70 possible symptoms - everyone is different so no one will necessarily have the same symptoms but, it's a good idea to key into those that you may have.

Endos aren't necessarily that great at treating thyroid disease - I know my 3 former endos were clueless. They are more focused on treating the ever-increasing population of diabetics.

You need a doctor that will recognize obvious hypothyroid symptoms and work with you to find the optimal levothyroxine dose so you won't have any symptoms.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:32 PM   #8
(female)

Alexandra23 HB UserAlexandra23 HB UserAlexandra23 HB UserAlexandra23 HB User

Yes, muscle exhaustion is a common symptom. Hypo is described on one site as "mental, emotional, physical and spiritual exhaustion".

My thighs feel like I've been doing prolonged physical exercise but they can be like that when I wake up or have been doing nothing more than going out to buy milk from the nearby shop.

If I wake up and feel that "stringy" exhaustion in my legs (like if I went out walking or running with them they would start to shake and I wouldn't be able to stand up anymore) it's best I do very little that day or it will spread to my arms and the rest of me.

The medication is helping though. When the exhaustion is completely gone I think I'll be at the right dose for me.

Closed Thread