It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2011, 02:00 AM   #1
(female)

ABQpam HB UserABQpam HB UserABQpam HB UserABQpam HB UserABQpam HB UserABQpam HB User
Skin so dry it cracks

I notice many of you complain of dry skin with your thyroid problems. How dry are we talking? My skin is SOOOOO dry! Has been this way for a few years and getting worse. No amount of moisturizers helps. I drink plenty of water every day. Baffled My hands, mainly fingers, get so dry they spontaneously crack or split open. Sometimes so deep they bleed.

My feet! Don't even want to talk about how dry they are. The skin on the bottom of my feet is thick and it cracked. Again, doesn't matter how much I exfoliate them and moisturize them. They are just as rough and dry the next morning. Now it is happening on elbows, ankle bones etc. I miss my smooth pretty skin.

I'm wondering if this is related to the thyroid problems? Or just getting older in the desert?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2011, 11:19 AM   #2
(female)

backtonormal HB User
Re: Skin so dry it cracks

Hi there!

I have VAST experience with exactly your problem. I have paper-dry skin all over - alligator skin on my legs, cracking fingers, heels, toes, lips, flaky eyelids...I can't even function without daily heavy lotion. And, I been this way since puberty, I'm 46, so about 34 years.

What I did was add glycerin what ever lotion I had. You can get it on the shelf at any mass retailer in the pharmacy section. Glycerin is considered to be all-natural because it used to be made from beet sugar. It is now sythethically produced but as the molecular structure is exact, according to what I researched all those years ago, it is still "natural"...

I'm sorry for your skin troubles, I know exactly how you feel.

God bless,
Jenn

Last edited by moderator2; 04-16-2011 at 03:28 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2011, 01:42 PM   #3
(male)

duck009 HB User

I'm 21 and every morning I wake up with a really flaky face. I don't use any products on my face, since I tried going the natural route and let my skin heal on my own. Didn't work. The rest of my body isn't too dry though.

The following user gives a hug of support to duck009:
ABQpam (04-17-2011)
Old 04-16-2011, 03:24 PM   #4
(female)

toomanypets HB Usertoomanypets HB Usertoomanypets HB Usertoomanypets HB User

Have you had any thyroid tests done? It can be a symptom of hypothyroidism. Before treatment, my hands were dry, cracked and bleeding. It was spring so the air wasn't dry. It was one of the first things I showed the doctor. That was at least a symptom he could SEE. With treatment, my skin cleared up immediately. I now know that the skin on my hands acts as a great barometer for me. Dry hands seems to be one of the first obvious symptoms I get when my dose isn't right.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:47 AM   #5
(female)

ABQpam HB UserABQpam HB UserABQpam HB UserABQpam HB UserABQpam HB UserABQpam HB User

backtonormal,

Thanks for the tip on adding glycerin to my lotions! I'll give anything a try at this point.

I am hoping this is thyroid related and will improve when I find a doctor who "gets it" and will take my hypoT serious. I'm sorry to hear about all your skin problems, sounds like you really have it rough (no pun intended).

I appreciate you sharing your story with me.

God bless you too!

ABQpam

Last edited by ABQpam; 04-17-2011 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Got interrupted with brain fog, didn't finish.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:16 AM   #6
(female)

toomanypets,

Thanks for your reply about this darn skin. I have had many thyroid tests done, yet my PCP says I'm "normal". HA! (you can see my first post "Exhausted and Confused Newbie" 04/14/11). That was my question; Can this dry skin issue be caused by hypothyroidism. It is encouraging to hear your skin improved once you were diagnosed and treated. . Eventhough I have been sick for over 2 years with so many hypo symptoms, with tests to back them up, no dx or treatment yet. DUH!. Guess it's time I start looking for a new doctor.

I find everyone on this board to be so helpful and generous with information. It's really a God-send for me to find such kind support while I'm on this lousy journey. I am exhausted, frustrated and my cracked fingers really hurt.

Thanks again for your input. Much appreciated

ABQpam

P.S. I have too many pets too. Cats - three.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:21 AM   #7
(female)

toomanypets HB Usertoomanypets HB Usertoomanypets HB Usertoomanypets HB User

2 dogs
4 cats
4 budgies
1 cornsnake
6 pond goldfish
1 betta

Closed Thread