It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2011, 09:20 PM   #1
(female)

tnicolez HB User
Question Need help with test results - High thyroid antibodies

I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroid, but I've been having symptoms for at least the past year (fatigue, muscle cramps, weight gain, constipation, headaches, numbness in hands, shortness of breath, etc.). My doctor said my thyroid hormone is only slightly elevated, but she gave me a prescription for Levothyroxine due to my symptoms and said it is up to me if I want to start taking it, or if I want to wait and get re-tested in 6 months. My cholesterol is also slightly high now and it has always good before this.

My husband and I were going to start trying to get pregnant in a few months and I know that thyroid issues can affect fertility. I'm worried that the high antibodies will make it hard for us to get pregnant. My doctor didn't seem to be too concerned about them, but she is just a general practitioner, not an endocrinologist.

My grandma, dad, mom and sister all have hypothyroidism. My sister has been diagnosed with Hashimoto's, but I don't know if that's what the rest of my family has as well.

Here are my test results the nurse gave me over the phone:
TSH: 6.56 (normal range 0.45 - 4.5)
Free T4: 0.98 (0.70 - 1.50)
Antibodies: 5,724 (0-60)

I can't find anything online about what an antibody level this high means or indicates, other than if the antibodies are high and thyroid is underactive, it can mean Hashimoto's. Is it bad/normal to be THIS high? Has anyone had similar results? Did medication help?

Any help anyone can provide is GREATLY appreciated!
Thank you!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2011, 11:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Need help with test results - High thyroid antibodies

Which antibodies are these? TPO or Tg? Several studies have concluded that TPO antibodies might be a threat to successful pregnancy, but a more recent one has found that to be unfounded. Studies! What's a person to believe? At any rate, if you're talking about TPOs, start taking an OTC selenium supplement. Start with 200 mcgs a day for a month, then reduce to 100 mcgs/day. This can help reduce TPO Abs by up to 40%.

The other thing you can do to reduce the Abs is to optimally replace the thyroid hormone your body isn't making. You will want to boost your FT4 level to about 1.3 (on that range), not just reduce TSH. Optimal FT4 is essential for a successful pregnancy. Don't allow your MD to only prescribe a dose that will reduce your TSH without raising the FT4.

If it were me, I'd want to optimize that FT4 and get the thyroid stabile before conceiving. It can be hard during the first months of thyroid treatment to tolerate the changes in thyroid hormone levels... Not to mention that better levels will boost your chance of pregnancy success. Adding the complications of early pregnancy and all its raging hormones could be quite a challenge.

Good luck to you!

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
tnicolez (04-19-2011)
Old 04-19-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
(female)

tnicolez HB User

Thank you so much for your response! that's a lot of good information! We will definitely be waiting to get pregnant until I get my levels more normal. My sister goes to an endocrinologist who treats her symptoms, rather than just trying to get the TSH w/i normal range, so I'm going to try to make an appt w/ her as well. I'll be sure to ask about boosting the FT4.

Thank you!!!

Old 04-19-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

azuree HB Userazuree HB Userazuree HB Userazuree HB Userazuree HB Userazuree HB Userazuree HB User

Tnicolez--Were those high antibodies TPO (thyroid peroxidase) or Tg? I am wondering because I was diagnosed with very high TPO antibodies and haven't seen very many others with TPO's really high, so I am curious.
Azuree

Old 04-19-2011, 01:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User

If those are TPOs you are referring to, then you probably have Hashimoto's thyroiditis,
like I do. It is an auto immune version of hypothyroidism.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:17 PM   #6
(female)

tnicolez HB User

I think they tested the TPO antibodies, but I don't know for sure. I'll have to call my Dr. back and find out.

Closed Thread