It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2011, 04:26 AM   #1
(female)

julesm1974 HB User
St John's Wort for weight loss - anyone tried?

Hi - I am new to this forum. My husband has suggested I try St John's Wort to aid weight loss. I know that it is used for treating depression in people with hypothyroidism, but that is (luckily) not a problem for me. Has anyone used it successfully to aid weight loss? There is so much conflicting information on the internet about the use of this herbal remedy - some say you should use it and some say don't go near it!

Any advice?

Thanks.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User
Unhappy Re: St John's Wort for weight loss - anyone tried?

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesm1974 View Post
Hi - I am new to this forum. My husband has suggested I try St John's Wort to aid weight loss. I know that it is used for treating depression in people with hypothyroidism, but that is (luckily) not a problem for me. Has anyone used it successfully to aid weight loss? There is so much conflicting information on the internet about the use of this herbal remedy - some say you should use it and some say don't go near it!

Any advice?

Thanks.
I'm one of those hypo's who uses it for occasional depression Doesn't cause any weight loss, sad to say. I only have about 10 lbs to lose, and think my body goes into Reverse T3 mode, in other words slowing down the metabolism. Next blood test, I've asked for RT3 Ratio, whatever that is. Which it seems they don't normally test for. Guess you already know your body normally converts your T4 supplement to the energy hormone, if I understand correctly, T3.

Know anything about poor Absorption of T4 supplement, and what to do about that? TIA. Good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to Eagle For This Useful Post:
julesm1974 (05-02-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User
Re: St John's Wort for weight loss - anyone tried?

Just for the record, the reverse T3 test has been replaced by an even better test: FreeT3 (tri-iodothyronine, free, serum)

The FreeT3 test measures the amount of T3 that is fully available (aka "free) to meet the body's needs....if a person is taking a T4 med such as levothyroxine/synthroid and has FreeT4 levels towards the high end of the range but, FreeT3 levels below mid-range, more likely than not, that person would benefit from the addition of Cytomel (T3 med) or a switch over to Armour or Thyrolar (T4/T3 combo meds).

Absorption of T4 meds is maximized by: taking it at night at least 2 hours after last food/drink other than water....taking it at least 4 hours apart from calcium and iron.

And, to keep that conversion process working throughout the day, it's important to eat every 3-4 hours to keep blood glucose levels steady.

Selenium also helps with conversion - adequate amounts can be had from 2-3 Brazil nuts/day or taking 100-200mcg of a yeast-based selenium supplement.

Last edited by sammy64; 04-25-2011 at 03:03 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to sammy64 For This Useful Post:
Eagle (04-25-2011)
Old 04-25-2011, 03:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User

Thanks. I have selenium pills, and know they're supposed to help with Conversion. I'm assuming the RT3Ratio test includes the FT3.

You're evidently diabetic too. Metformin raises your Frees and lowers your TSH so much, when you have a buildup, I've had to cut my dosage in half and substitute some cinnamon capsules, from Ceylon and a health food store, for half. It takes about 6 - 8 of the cinnamons to equal one of my Metformins, at $11 per bottle, of, I guess 60.

My doctor may not be believing this, and insists on going precisely by the lab numbers, although labs nearly all have a different "normal". She had me leave off my Sunday levothyroxine, and I was about to have to see a hand surgeon about possible diabetic nerve damage, but was feeling so bad in every way, several other things, that I finally started taking my normal dosage that I've had for years, and miracle of miracles, my hand is a lot better! I was careful Sunday to only shake hands with people at church with my left hand, don't know if it could get re-injured, if it was an injury.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:40 PM   #5
(female)

Alexandra23 HB UserAlexandra23 HB UserAlexandra23 HB UserAlexandra23 HB User

I tried St John's Wort when I was on anti depressants. It didn't help and as a side effect it made me so tired I couldn't function and was falling asleep all the time.

I've never read it helps with weight loss, so I don't know about that but I know that it interferes with the contraception pill. I don't know the mechanics of how it affects that medication, but since it affects at least one type of medication I would be careful to research if it interferes with others.

The Following User Says Thank You to Alexandra23 For This Useful Post:
julesm1974 (05-02-2011)
Closed Thread