It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
(male)

bri1134 HB User
How far below adams apple is thyroid?

Hello,

I was wondering how far below my adams apple is my thyroid? I've been having many symptoms of hyperthyroid, including:

Fatigue
Lack of Concentration
Nervousness
Palpitations/Rapid/Hard heart beat
difficulty sleeping
alcohol sensitivity
heat intolerance
frequent thirst
trembling hands
irratability
mood changes
Constant Hunger
muscle weakness
frequent urination and muliple bowel movements daily (but not loose)
recent naseau

That's most of my symptoms. I had a tsh test come back at .75, which I know is in range, but haven't had free T-3 or T-4 test yet. I also had a low white blood count. I've noticed a hardness in my windpipe about an inch below my adams apple, and wasn't sure if this was my trachea or maybe my thyroid? It's rock hard and just about centered. Probably half on inch long from top to bottom. I also feel as if it is slightly pushing in on my windpipe possibly.

In addition, my mom was hyperthyroid and had her's killed with radiation and supplements with synthroid. Her mom had it as well as her brother and sister are hypo. I go back next week for another white blood count and was thinking about mentioning all of this to the Dr. to see if she'll run the T3 and T4 along with thyroid antibodies. My symptoms seem to be getting progressively worse and I'm starting to worry.

Any help or reassurance as to whether this may be thyroid or something else (lymes?) would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Brian

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2011, 04:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: How far below adams apple is thyroid?

Your tsh indicates something might be up---maybe a thyroiditis or something with the white blood cell issue---but at this point, you definitely need the free t4/free t3 tested to rule out thyroid---the symptoms themselves can be so many things.

In terms of the location of the thyroid, it's low down, and it's like a butterfly---more on the sides of your neck, than in the center where the adams apple is---you can look at a basic anatomy, and you'll see real quick where it is.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:18 PM   #3
(male)

bri1134 HB User

Thanks for the reply Reece! I was thinking maybe my thyroid was enlarged slightly in the area that passes over the throat. That's what it seemms like is that possible? Also, I was thinking that maybe graves disease is a possibility with the low wbc? Its gotten worse the past couple of months....can stress worsen thyroid symptoms? I've had symptoms for over a years now, but they've recently gotten worse following the loss of my father to leukemia. My moms had to change her synthroid dosage following his loss as we'll, so I was thinking maybe stress can play a small role in hormone production and thyroid function?

Old 04-27-2011, 06:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Stress can most definitely exacerbate things...in fact, if a person already has a genetic predisposition to thyroid disease (you do since you're mother is hypothyroid) and is exposed to significant stress (such as death), this can trigger thyroid disease.

Hope you can get your FreeT4 and FreeT3 levels checked soon.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:10 PM   #5
(male)

bri1134 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy64 View Post
Sorry to hear of your loss.

Stress can most definitely exacerbate things...in fact, if a person already has a genetic predisposition to thyroid disease (you do since you're mother is hypothyroid) and is exposed to significant stress (such as death), this can trigger thyroid disease.

Hope you can get your FreeT4 and FreeT3 levels checked soon.
Thank you for the condolense. Its only been three months since he passed. I actually have an appt next week to get another wbc taken to see if my levels are still low since my last appt a few weeks ago. I'm going to seee if she'll test me for T3, T4, and antibodies. Was your wbc lowered with your graves? What other symptoms did you have?

And to clarify from my above message, my mom was hyperthyroid as was her mother. My moms brother and sister are both slightly hypothyroid.

Thanks you for the response I don't really have anyone to talk to about theses things with my family dealing witht the loss and others thinking its all in my head.

Thanks again

Old 04-27-2011, 08:29 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1134 View Post
Thank you for the condolense. Its only been three months since he passed. I actually have an appt next week to get another wbc taken to see if my levels are still low since my last appt a few weeks ago. I'm going to seee if she'll test me for T3, T4, and antibodies. Was your wbc lowered with your graves? What other symptoms did you have?

And to clarify from my above message, my mom was hyperthyroid as was her mother. My moms brother and sister are both slightly hypothyroid.

Thanks you for the response I don't really have anyone to talk to about theses things with my family dealing witht the loss and others thinking its all in my head.

Thanks again
I lost my father quite some time ago....it took a long while for the pain to ease....and I'll still have pangs of sadness at certain times. Please try to find peace in the memories - it helps.

Re your thyroid, please, please, please make sure your doctor runs the FREE T4 and FREE T3....any other test does not give accurate information.

You'll want to get the TSI (thyroid stimulating immunoglobulin) test to confirm Graves'.

Oops...somehow I missed the facts about your mother - sorry.

Please know that you can go into remission from Graves'....80% of people taking anti-thyroid drugs can achieve remission if they take meds until their body (not their doctor) tells them it's time to stop the meds.

I'm not sure how your mother fared with the RAI treatment but, some people have a really rough time - not so much with the treatment itself but, the fluctuation of thyroid hormone levels afterwards....and difficulties getting medicated properly.

I've always advised fellow Graves' patients to make sure their doctor knows how to medicate properly before choosing a permanent treatment.

A doctor that doesn't know how to medicate properly will overdose hyperthyroid people and underdose hypothyroid people.

It's a lot easier to take a lower dose of a med than try to get a higher dose that's desperately needed to function. There are countless stories on this forum about people fighting for higher doses of synthroid, etc.

My WBC was always fine. I was fortunate in the fact that my hyperthyroidism was discovered during my annual physical. I had attributed the few symptoms I had before Dx to perimenopause (2 instances of night sweats), allergies (dry/itchy eyes) or stress (we all know about those symptoms).

Feel free to post your lab results here (with reference ranges since they can vary from lab to lab and it's important to see "where" your level "fits" within (or above) the range).

I have lots of great research info about Graves' that I'll gladly share with you.

Sorry you have so much on your plate right now - hopefully, we can at least help ease the burden of your possible thyroid issue.

Last edited by sammy64; 04-27-2011 at 08:36 PM.

Closed Thread