It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2011, 04:29 PM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User
Re: Large nodule- related to tiredness, lack of concentration and mood changes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyTerri View Post
Well, I think everyone is different as far as what normal is for them. I say treat the symptoms. It's very easy to pop an iron supplement or one for B12. Much harder to start and try to adjust thyroid medicine. If I were in this situation, I would change the dietary issues, the iron and b-12 first by supplements, and if I felt better and my thyroid blood tests were in the normal range, I'd leave it at that. But that's just me. And of course....deal with the nodule!!!! That's the important thing right now.
Harvard's extensive and ongoing Nurses' Health Study showed that most healthy people have thyroid hormone levels in the upper third of the range.

Treating symptoms goes just so far....hypothyroidism is very unhealthy.

The thyroid is the master regulator of every body system....there are hidden effects from out-of-whack thyroid levels that can cause long-lasting damage...to the heart...to the brain, etc.

Low iron is just one of many symptoms of hypothyroidism...so is elevated blood glucose/cholesterol levels.

I'd rather replace hormones not being adequately produced by my body...than take insulin or statins.

That's just me

Old 06-05-2011, 04:32 PM   #17
Inactive
(female)

Terri880 HB UserTerri880 HB UserTerri880 HB UserTerri880 HB UserTerri880 HB UserTerri880 HB UserTerri880 HB UserTerri880 HB UserTerri880 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy64 View Post
Harvard's extensive and ongoing Nurses' Health Study showed that most healthy people have thyroid hormone levels in the upper third of the range.

Treating symptoms goes just so far....hypothyroidism is very unhealthy.

The thyroid is the master regulator of every body system....there are hidden effects from out-of-whack thyroid levels that can cause long-lasting damage...to the heart...to the brain, etc.

Low iron is just one of many symptoms of hypothyroidism...so is elevated blood glucose/cholesterol levels.

I'd rather replace hormones not being adequately produced by my body...than take insulin or statins.

That's just me

He needs to get a good doctor.

Sammy, I have a question. My Free T4 is 1.22. Range is
.82 - 1.77 or something like that by LabCorp. Is my result in the upper 1/3 of the range? My TSH is 1.62 (range is .44 - 4.50). I know most of you say TSH doesn't matter, but I don't believe that. I think it matters or my FANTASTIC Endo would not test it every single time he tests my function. Like I said, I have hashimoto's but no hypo.

Given what you are saying, My Free T4 should be about 1.48 and it's not. I have never been anything but healthy thyroid function wise. How do you explain that?

Last edited by Terri880; 06-05-2011 at 04:40 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2011, 08:44 PM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

The majority of people need their FreeT4 level in the upper third of the range but, not everyone. You are one of those people for which a slightly lower FreeT4 "works". I am actually one of those people that needs a FreeT4 level higher than the upper third of the range.

I'm not saying *you* should have a FreeT4 "such and such" since you have no symptoms/conditions that hypothyroidism can cause. Many others that come here are dealing with symptoms - big difference.

For example, I had over 30 hypo symptoms when I was Dx'd - my FreeT4 was 1.2 and my TSH was .019.

TSH "matters" only as part of a complete picture. The doctors that don't recognize this and ONLY look at TSH don't medicate properly for thyroid disease.

My former endos had no idea how to medicate for thyroid disease - in fact, with my below-range TSH, they would have me taking anti-thyroid drugs.

My current doctor has told me she knows to ignore TSH in Graves' disease....and is now ignoring it because I have atrophic hypothyroidism.

The key to knowing whether or not your level is "right" lies in the fact that you don't have symptoms/health conditions that hypothyroidism could cause.

Hope this makes sense.

Last edited by sammy64; 06-05-2011 at 08:53 PM.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:39 AM   #19
Inactive
(female)

Terri880 HB UserTerri880 HB UserTerri880 HB UserTerri880 HB UserTerri880 HB UserTerri880 HB UserTerri880 HB UserTerri880 HB UserTerri880 HB User

Quote:
The majority of people need their FreeT4 level in the upper third of the range but, not everyone. You are one of those people for which a slightly lower FreeT4 "works". I am actually one of those people that needs a FreeT4 level higher than the upper third of the range.

I'm not saying *you* should have a FreeT4 "such and such" since you have no symptoms/conditions that hypothyroidism can cause. Many others that come here are dealing with symptoms - big difference.

For example, I had over 30 hypo symptoms when I was Dx'd - my FreeT4 was 1.2 and my TSH was .019.

TSH "matters" only as part of a complete picture. The doctors that don't recognize this and ONLY look at TSH don't medicate properly for thyroid disease.

My former endos had no idea how to medicate for thyroid disease - in fact, with my below-range TSH, they would have me taking anti-thyroid drugs.

My current doctor has told me she knows to ignore TSH in Graves' disease....and is now ignoring it because I have atrophic hypothyroidism.

The key to knowing whether or not your level is "right" lies in the fact that you don't have symptoms/health conditions that hypothyroidism could cause.

Hope this makes sense.

Oh, it makes perfect sense. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. LOL! I understand what you are saying, but I think too many people around here are trying to diagnose and treat instead of just relaying your own experiences. I can't believe it when I see people telling others that are grasping for straws, looking for help because they feel so miserable, that their "normal" levels should be ignored. That they should be put on a certain dose of a medicine. That they shouldn't listen to their doctors because they don't understand this disease (when really as laypeople, that and our own research, is all we have). I think it's pretty irresponsible. Next thing you know, we'll have people that aren't being prescribed meds by their doctors, listening to the folks on this board, going out and buying them on the streets. I realize that's extreme, but who knows. You gonna say it couldn't happen?

Doctor's are here for a reason. They are educated far beyond what we are (most of us anyway). Especially Endocrinologists. Some doctor's are great, some, not so much. The key is to find one that you like and that understands you and keep looking until you find that one.

No one here can, with any degree of certainty, tell anyone else on here, what their levels should or should not be. There is a "normal" range and to tell someone they should ignore that, is not right in my eyes.

It is the symptoms that should be investigated. But it's not always the thyroid that is causing them. Especially when you have normal blood tests. I do advocate getting everything tested though. TSH, FT4 & FT3 and Antibodies for Hashi's/Graves Disease. Obviously....so you have the complete picture.

Please take this for what it's worth. It's only my opinion. That's what I do. I give my opinion. I'm not in the medical field.

Last edited by Terri880; 06-06-2011 at 06:41 AM.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:25 AM   #20
Senior Veteran
(female)

Terri

I appreciate what you're saying. However, too many doctors look at in-range thyroid labs and declare a patient "normal" when the patient is anything but.

Sorry to say, your comment that symptoms might not be the thyroid when levels are "normal" is the same type of comment many of us have heard from some of our doctors.

Thyroid disease is one of the most undiagnosed/mismanaged conditions out there....and, who is to blame? The doctors that treat us.

They don't understand that a person can have raging thyroid disease with "normal" (aka in-range) labs.

I "went thru" 3 clueless endos and a clueless GP before I found a doctor that knew how to treat for thyroid disease. My situation is more common than you think.

Several endos have written books for laypeople that describe this exact problem.

"Thyroid for Dummies" and "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Hypothyroidism" are just two of them.

So, please understand that, when someone comes here complaining of symptoms, we are going to tell them to not just accept a "normal" declaration from their doctor without further investigation.

This is what the endo-authors of these books tell people to do.....obviously, if these people are coming here, they haven't read the books.

Last edited by sammy64; 06-06-2011 at 07:30 AM.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:46 AM   #21
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Terri

I appreciate what you're saying. However, too many doctors look at in-range thyroid labs and declare a patient "normal" when the patient is anything but.

Sorry to say, your comment that symptoms might not be the thyroid when levels are "normal" is the same type of comment many of us have heard from some of our doctors.

Thyroid disease is one of the most undiagnosed/mismanaged conditions out there....and, who is to blame? The doctors that treat us.

They don't understand that a person can have raging thyroid disease with "normal" (aka in-range) labs.

I "went thru" 3 clueless endos and a clueless GP before I found a doctor that knew how to treat for thyroid disease. My situation is more common than you think.

Several endos have written books for laypeople that describe this exact problem.

"Thyroid for Dummies" and "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Hypothyroidism" are just two of them.

So, please understand that, when someone comes here complaining of symptoms, we are going to tell them to not just accept a "normal" declaration from their doctor without further investigation.

This is what the endo-authors of these books tell people to do.....obviously, if these people are coming here, they haven't read the books.

Sammy, trust me. If someone feels bad and they are being told nothing is wrong, I too think they should find another doctor. But the answer WILL NOT always be a thyroid function problem. That's all I'm saying.

And YES.....PLEASE EDUCATE YOURSELVES PEOPLE! It's so easy. There is thyroid information everywhere. Just google it. Go to Cleveland Clinic website, go to Mayo Clinic, go to NIH (National Institute of Health), go to Thyr*oid.org. There are many more. Get the books these ladies are recommending. Get as much info as you possibly can and then go to your doctor's and ask questions. If you don't get a diagnosis that makes your symptoms improve, get another doctor.

That's my advice.

Last edited by Terri880; 06-06-2011 at 09:46 AM.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:21 AM   #22
(female)

grma HB User

Hi again
I got the biospy done a while ago and the sample was benign (partially cystic, partially solid nodule) but when I went back to the doctor for the results, he said he'd like to remove the left lobe anyway because it's been growing pretty fast- it was 6x7cm on the last scan so it sticks out quite a lot. I don't know when it will be yet but he said it will probably be around the end of August/start of September. If any of you have had this operation before, can you remember how long it was before you were able to go back to work/school? The doctor said he thought three weeks at the least but possibly up to six? That seems like a very long time!
Thanks

Old 08-08-2011, 10:26 AM   #23
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grma View Post
Hi again
I got the biospy done a while ago and the sample was benign (partially cystic, partially solid nodule) but when I went back to the doctor for the results, he said he'd like to remove the left lobe anyway because it's been growing pretty fast- it was 6x7cm on the last scan so it sticks out quite a lot. I don't know when it will be yet but he said it will probably be around the end of August/start of September. If any of you have had this operation before, can you remember how long it was before you were able to go back to work/school? The doctor said he thought three weeks at the least but possibly up to six? That seems like a very long time!
Thanks

Um, I had one lobe removed too and I could have gone back to work in 3 days if I had to. LOL! I'd say max 2 weeks if you recover like the majority do.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:51 AM   #24
(female)

grma HB User

Quote:
Um, I had one lobe removed too and I could have gone back to work in 3 days if I had to. LOL! I'd say max 2 weeks if you recover like the majority do.
That's great! I hope it turns out that way! (I hope to start university in September and don't really want to miss the first week or two- the doctor said he doesn't think I'll be ready but I guess we won't know until the time)

Old 08-08-2011, 10:58 AM   #25
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grma View Post
That's great! I hope it turns out that way! (I hope to start university in September and don't really want to miss the first week or two- the doctor said he doesn't think I'll be ready but I guess we won't know until the time)

You sound young if you're just starting College. I bet you'll be just fine, very quickly. I think Doctor's tell you longer than it will really take in case you are atypical.

Is there something different about the way they are performing the surgery. Is it just a 2-3 inch incision in your neck and they take half out and close the incision? If so, it shouldn't be 3-5 or 6 weeks. Doctor's I have talked to say about 2 on average to return to work. You can normally drive after a week. Like I said, I could have done everything after 3 days. But you cannot swim or exercise until you are released to do so by your doctor. I didn't do some things for a month. But I was back on the treadmill after a few days, but just walking.

I wish you the best and hope that you have an easy, speedy recovery like I did!

Last edited by Terri880; 08-08-2011 at 11:00 AM.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #26
(female)

grma HB User

Quote:
You sound young if you're just starting College. I bet you'll be just fine, very quickly. I think Doctor's tell you longer than it will really take in case you are atypical.

Is there something different about the way they are performing the surgery. Is it just a 2-3 inch incision in your neck and they take half out and close the incision? If so, it shouldn't be 3-5 or 6 weeks. Doctor's I have talked to say about 2 on average to return to work. You can normally drive after a week. Like I said, I could have done everything after 3 days. But you cannot swim or exercise until you are released to do so by your doctor. I didn't do some things for a month. But I was back on the treadmill after a few days, but just walking.

I wish you the best and hope that you have an easy, speedy recovery like I did!
I don't think there's anything different about it, no. They can't do it until my haemoglobin levels increase so unless it's an extra precaution due to that? If time off is only a week or two though, that would be really good And it's good to hear that you can exercise not too long afterwards too- I was wondering about that as I run a lot but forgot to ask the doctor.

Thankyou, and it's great that your operation went well!

Closed Thread