It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
(female)

brenjoe HB User
Evening Primrose Oil

Hello all!

I am curious as to everyone's opinions on evening primrose oil and it's uses? I have been taking it for about 2 weeks now, the bottle says to take it 3 times a day, which would be 1000mg at a time, (or 3000 mg daily) I however have been taking it only twice a day. (2000 mg daily)

I've heard it does wonders for the female reproductive system, but most recently I became interested in it due to the fact that 1 month ago today I had a partial thyroidectomy. Now, I have experienced no hair loss yet, but I do tend to be a "shedder" anytime anything goes on with my body. About a month after childbirth I lost so much hair I seriously, truly,thought I was going bald, that hair all grew back. A couple years later I had to undergo back surgery, and about 3 weeks after the surgery I went through a major shedding that lasted nearly 2 months, again, I was very concerned and did go see the doctor about it. I was told sometimes that is a side effect of anesthesia? Most of my hair came back, but it still wasn't as thick as before. And then again, I had a major shedding about a month after a miscarriage, that one didn't last as long and the hair seemed to go back to normal after some time. And the most recent was in 2010, I had a large cyst rupture on my right ovary....screwed up everything, my cycle, I was hospitalized overnight for that little incident, and about 2 months afterwards....you guessed it...significant hair loss. The shedding stopped after about 6 weeks.

My concern now is,since I do tend to be a "severe shedder" at the mere thought of any type of surgery or any type of hormonal inbalance, I keep waiting.....as I said, I'm exactly one month post op today, and so far...so good. But I figure if anesthesia causes hair to come out, and it's possible to go hypo after a partial thyroidectomy due to the thryoid hormone being out of whack, then you add in my hair sensitivity to any change in my body I'm probably GOING to start shedding any second lol!

So I started taking the evening primrose oil as I said a couple of weeks ago at the 2000 mg daily dosage. I have also used it as kind of a "hot oil treatment" on my scalp. I don't know if either of those work, but I will say that after I rinse my hair out when I have used it on my scalp, my hair does look and feel really nice. I've also been taking a prenatel vitamin daily, my obgyn keeps represcribing it when my refills run out, due to the fact that since the miscarriage (nearly two years ago) we have been "undecided" about trying again. So, can't hurt to have the extra vitamins and minerals in there just "in case".

Any input or experience anyone has with using evening primrose oil would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks so much!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread