It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2011, 08:15 PM   #1
(female)

melissasoto HB User
Unhappy Low PTH, Normal Calcium?

Hello! I am new to this board and am hoping to find some answers here...

I am a 23 year old female, and I have had some pretty dramatic symptoms in the past 6 months - 1 year that caused me to go see my doctor.

I had been having tingling in my extremities, memory loss, severe hair thinning (especially in my eyebrows), several kidney stones (have history), anxiety, unable to lose weight, mood swings, and the list goes on...

Long story short, my doctor ordered some blood work to be done. When we got the results back, he told me he was concerned because my PTH (parathyroid hormone) level was extremely low (10), but my calcium levels were completely normal. I even did a 24-hour urinalysis, and calcium was normal as well. He ordered for some more blood work to be done, I guess to just double-check the PTH again. I go next week for those results. But he sounded very concerned, and his reaction scared me.

I guess I am just concerned because everything you read on the internet is so awful concerning these issues. I have the same exact symptoms that I have read about concerning the parathyroid. I'm wondering if anyone has had the same experience with a normal calcium level and extremely low PTH level?

Thanks in advance for ANY help or advice!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2011, 07:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User
Re: Low PTH, Normal Calcium?

Welcome!

So sorry to hear of your suffering.

While I know nothing about parathyroid issues (sorry), I am very familiar with thyroid disease.

Many of the symptoms you're having could be thyroid-related, too.

Do you have any thyroid labs to share? FreeT4 (T4 or thyroxine, free, direct), FreeT3 (tri-iodothyronine, free, serum) and TSH would be best. You'd need to include the reference ranges for each result since they vary from lab to lab and your results need to be interpreted in the context of them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2011, 01:02 PM   #3
(female)

melissasoto HB User

Thank you for responding! I actually just received more lab results this morning, and here is what it showed:

Calcium: 9.6
PTH: 17
Phosphorus: 3.6
TSH: 1.019
FSH: 9.2
LH: 59.4
Prolactin: 18.1

Are these normal results? My doctor signed off on them, so I am guessing they aren't bad, or he would have wanted to see me. But I just find it strange that my parathyroid was a 10 last week, and now a 17? Does that make any sense?

Old 06-09-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Without seeing the reference or "normal" ranges for each result, I'm unable to tell you if they are "normal".

I will tell you this much, it's not uncommon for certain blood tests to have widely different results from time to time - I know this applies to TSH, for sure. Glucose levels vary a lot also - depending on whether or not the person was fasting before the test.

I am familiar with TSH ranges since TSH is related to thyroid function and your result is within range.

However, TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) is not a good indicator of thyroid function since it's actually a pituitary hormone.

Based upon the symptoms you're having, I suggest you get your thyroid hormone levels checked:

FreeT4 (T4 or thyroxine, free, direct)
FreeT3 (tri-iodothyronine, free, serum)

Once you get those results, please post them here (with ranges) and we'll help you sort through things.

Last edited by sammy64; 06-09-2011 at 01:23 PM.

Closed Thread