It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2011, 09:42 AM   #1
(female)

itsmekelly HB Useritsmekelly HB User
Question Do you take your meds in the AM or PM?

Just curious as to when you take your thyroid medication? I take mine in the morning and I believe that's what most folks do...but I don't know for sure.

I struggle with sleepiness sometimes and I was curious if taking my medicine in the evenings would help.

I have read a few posts where people have had success taking their meds in the evenings.

Any thoughts? Thank you!!

Old 06-14-2011, 09:56 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
Re: Do you take your meds in the AM or PM?

Do try taking your meds in the evening - the med may be absorbed better. I take my T4 at night and I'm sure it has made a difference - I seem to do ok with a smaller dose than before.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2011, 10:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

A small study showed that levothyroxine is better absorbed at night. The thought behind this is that bowel motility is slower at night, thus increasing absorption. Also, most T4/T3 conversion happens at night and the stomach is definitely empty (unless the person succumbs to middle-of-the-night munchies )

I've always taken my levo around 11PM, definitely at least 2 hours after last food/drink other than water.

I take my 1/2 of my liothyronine (generic Cytomel) at 8AM and the other half at 2PM.

If you decide to switch to dosing at night and don't feel relief from the sleepiness within 6-8 wks., it would be a good idea to look at your labs to see if your levels are too low.

Last edited by sammy64; 06-14-2011 at 10:04 AM.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:28 AM   #4
(female)

itsmekelly HB Useritsmekelly HB User

I think I really want to try taking my medication in the evenings....I will keep you all posted on how it turns out.

If I took a dose this morning would I take one tonight before bed or skip my dose in the morning and start that evening?

Thank you!!

Old 06-14-2011, 11:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

If I was making the decision to switch to nighttime dosing in the hopes of symptoms improvement and I already took my morning dose, I'd still take my dose at night.

I like the idea of starting ahead of the game with a little extra meds in the system vs. a slight deficit.

Just my humble opinion.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:46 PM   #6
(female)

grayfox HB Usergrayfox HB Usergrayfox HB User
Smile Re: Do you take your meds in the AM or PM?

Hi,

I have been taking a thyroid medication, levoxyl, in varying strengths, for over 13 years because my right thyroid gland was removed. I had a multinodular goiter which was causing me problems swallowing because the nodules were increasing in size.

I have always been instructed by my doctors to take the medication on a empty stomach first thing in the morning and wait at least 30 minutes before eating. The reason is it gets into your blood stream quickly and starts working right away. It seems to be working well for me this way.

If you find it works best for you by taking it in the evening, that's good. I've never tried that approach.

Grayfox

Old 06-16-2011, 01:06 PM   #7
(male)

bergie72 HB User

I've been taking synthroid for about 16 months. I've always taken my meds first thing in the morning after I get out of bed. I find when I try to take pills at some other time, it's difficult to keep to a regular schedule because of life and work.

Closed Thread