It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2011, 08:20 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User
how do you recognize the difference between hypo or hyper symptoms?

hello everybody,

how do you know whether you are hypo or hyper? (other then the labtests?). Sure in the books the lists seem very different, yet in practice are they? like heartrate, in general hypo is slow heartrate but it can be fast too right?

I'll give my current symptoms and if anybody can throw some light on it, more than welcome.

- tired, exhausted
-dizzy, lightheaded
- racing heart; sometimes high pulse (always worst waking up and in the afternoon; bloodpressure most of the times low) sometimes just palpitations but it ainít really high
- feverish: meaning icecold, but head feels hot
- sometimes sweaty hands and feet (but general cold feeling regardless)
- in the evening I get better; always better in the evening; I'm sleepy for the whole day and when everybody goes to sleep, I get better still not good, but better and wide awake.
-aching eyes (I also have the eyedisease)
- pressure feeling in my throat (although my thyroid is considered to be small); like it's tense for some reason (not constant)
- lots of migraines, headaches
- muscle pains, mainly neck
- acne
- belly feels like a balloon
- lack of concentration; foggy
- metallic taste in my mouth (bah); dry mouth
- itchy feet at night/evening
- hair loss and ribbling nails
- Hoarse voice (is it written like that)
- Disturbed periods (meaning: non stop little bloodloss)

and the list goes on really

thank you very much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2011, 08:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: how do you recognize the difference between hypo or hyper symptoms?

There's a lot of overlap in symptoms, that's why you need blood work. The first flag would be a very low tsh for hyper, or a very high one for hypo, but there are better indicators.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Yes, many hypo/hyper symptoms overlap. However, it seems you have mostly hypo symptoms.

The best way to evaluate thyroid function is to look at the actual thyroid hormone levels - FreeT4 and FreeT3.

TSH levels can be diagnostically misleading since SO many things can affect it. For example, I have Graves' disease so, my TSH is suppressed and continues to be suppressed.

Yet, as a natural progression of my disease, I am now hypothyroid. So, if someone were to look at my current (suppressed) TSH, they might say I am hyPERthyroid but, I am far from it.

Thankfully, my doctor has said she knows to ignore TSH and look at the actual thyroid hormone levels.....I saw 4 clueless doctors before her so, I am very happy to have finally found her.

The fact that you feel better in the evening leads me to believe you are more hypothyroid....reason being: thyroid hormone levels are higher in the evening so, if you are very tired during the day, your levels could be too low for you and, when they increase in the evening, you feel better.

Last edited by sammy64; 06-26-2011 at 01:39 PM.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User

Normally tomorrow I'll have my new bloodwork so I'll keep this answer till then I figure. I do have Hashimoto's, with TSI antibodies (apparently that's Hashitoxicosis) and the eyedisease.
Because of that, makes the complaints even more everythig together it seems, so well figured let's ask what you guys thing.

Thank you both a lot.

What a puzzle is this thyroid or am I the only one who looks at it like that. I'll come back with my most recent bloodwork as soon as I got them.

Sammy: mainly hypo you say, are there any in particular which make you conclude that? Might learn me something.

Last edited by lisa789; 06-26-2011 at 01:42 PM.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Glad you will be getting more bloodwork. Since you asked me to clarify my comments about your symptoms, I will use your earlier post and comment next to each symptom.

like heartrate, in general hypo is slow heartrate but it can be fast too right?

***yes, in general, hypo can mean a slow heart rate but, there can also be unusual reactions to things causing the heart rate to increase

- tired, exhausted
***terms of this "intensity" apply more to hypo....fatigue can happen with hyper but, more as a result of going too fast and then crashing

-dizzy, lightheaded
**very common for hypo but can happen with hyper

- racing heart; sometimes high pulse (always worst waking up and in the afternoon; bloodpressure most of the times low) sometimes just palpitations but it ain’t really high
***low blood pressure is definitely hypo....palps can be either hypo or hyper....hyper usually means high pulse all the time....occasional high pulse is more common with hypo

- feverish: meaning icecold, but head
*** I'm not too sure about this one...being cold is definitely hypo.....being hot is more common with
hyper

- sometimes sweaty hands and feet (but general cold feeling regardless)
*** hypo people often don't sweat....general cold feeling is hypo....I will mention that, when my thyroid hormone levels are moving (after a dose adjustment), I can have a moment here and there when I get sweaty

- in the evening I get better; always better in the evening; I'm sleepy for the whole day and when everybody goes to sleep, I get better still not good, but better and wide awake.
*** thyroid hormone levels are higher in the evening so, if you are hypothyroid, it makes sense that you would be sleepy during the evening and then be
more awake at night

-aching eyes (I also have the eyedisease)
*** this is most likely due to your TSI antibodies

- pressure feeling in my throat (although my thyroid is considered to be small); like it's tense for some reason (not constant)
*** this is reported more often with hypo but can
happen with hyper

- lots of migraines, headaches
*** this can be hypo or hyper

- muscle pains, mainly neck
*** this can be hypo or hyper...painful joints is more hypo

- acne
*** hypo

- belly feels like a balloon
*** hypo

- lack of concentration; foggy
** a foggy brain is a term more often used by hypothyroid people...concentration issues are common for both hypo or hyper people

- metallic taste in my mouth (bah); dry mouth
*** hypo

- itchy feet at night/evening
*** hypo

- hair loss and ribbling nails
*** hypo or hyper

- Hoarse voice (is it written like that)
*** hypo more often (and, yes, it's written like that )

- Disturbed periods (meaning: non stop little bloodloss)
*** definitely hypo

and the list goes on really
*** hypothyroid people seem to have more symptoms in general than hyperthyroid people

Hope this helps

Last edited by sammy64; 06-26-2011 at 04:12 PM.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:48 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

wow yeah, thanks! the sweaty, the last days I sometimes seem to get like heat flares, strange and nope still too young for meno.

Foggy or concentration: I never really made that distiction really.

How do you figured that all out, out of own experience?

Wow thank you so much. Gee I always wondered and also asked doctors why I felt better in the evening, but nobody had a clue. Thanks makes sense!

Old 06-27-2011, 04:49 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I apologize but, I can't remember if you've told us that you have nodules and/or a Hashi's diagnosis. If either applies, the "heat flares" could possibly be a nodule throwing off hormones and/or your thyroid dying off a bit (from the Hashi's antibody attack) and throwing off hormones.

It's so hard to describe symptoms sometimes. Brain fog from "my" hypo perspective is not being too aware of my surroundings, not being able to think clearly and making mindless errors. Concentration issues as reported by hyperthyroid people are more due to a racing mind, inability to focus on one thing.

I figured things out after reading extensive symptoms lists compiled from patients' experiences and incorporating them into my own experiences and those shared on thyroid forums.

I'm happy others can benefit from my research.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:55 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

thank you once more.

I don't have nodules, but I do has Hashimoto, combined with TSI antibodies (low but present) which seems to be the so-called Hashitoxicosis.
Ok I get the difference between brain fog and concentration. no I don't have that really, more like I cannot think clearly, but not that I'm too turned up to keep focussed. more too tired to focuss.

anyway we'll see what the results bring later on.

also what is really obvious, when the weather is better, I feel better. still not good, but definitely better. Sure one can say we all get happy from the sun, it's nothing like that, it's really a physical better feeling, beyond what normal people experience with the sun.

it's funny really because some complaints are considered to be hyper, yet I always experienced them as being hypo. so it was funny you pointed them out as being hypo.

Last edited by lisa789; 06-27-2011 at 04:55 AM.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:02 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Happy to help

OK....that was my memory of your situation - please excuse my laziness for not reading your earlier posts.

Well, your concentration issues are definitely hypo - "too tired" to focus confirms that to me.

I understand why you feel better when the sun is out. People that live in seasonal climates often need less hormone in the nice weather. So, when you are deficient in thyroid hormone and your needs are temporarily reduced, you can feel better.

As we've said earler, some hyper/hypo symptoms overlap - they are common to both hyper and hypo. Since the majority of your symptoms are hypo, that's how I'm inclined to agree with you declaring yourself hypo.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:30 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

thanks again.

the new bloodvalues are:
TSH 0,76 (0,4-3,5)
FT4 0,89 (0.54-1.24)

what do you guys make of that?

the weatherfluctuations, how does a person deal with that if the weather switches quite a bit in a couple of days?

Old 06-27-2011, 05:46 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thyroid function is evaluated based upon the thyroid hormone levels, not TSH (pituitary hormone).

Your FreeT4 thyroid hormone level is right at mid-range....based upon ALL the hypo symptoms you have, this tells me that you are like most of us and need your FreeT4 level higher.

Most people need their FreeT4 level in the upper half of the range, if not the upper third of the range. (I actually need my level at the very top of the range).

You just might benefit from some levothyroxine.

It would also be good for you to have a FreeT3 test done.

You see, T4 is our storage hormone and gets converted by our bodies into T3, the active hormone.

It's not uncommon for people with Hashi's to develop conversion problems. So, a person could have a "good" FreeT4 level yet, their FreeT3 level is too low for their body's needs.

I'm not sure what type of health care is available in Belgium - are you able to get a FreeT3 test? Will your doctor consider thyroid hormone replacement?

Re weather fluctuations....I know that, when my thyroid levels are "good", I can deal with weather fluctuations better than when they are "off".....I suspect I'm not unique.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:51 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

thank you once more.

there is still hope for the weather fluctuations ;-)

I'm aware about the FT3 test BUT we have a nice rule (duh) that once you're within the normal ranges that's not tested. Before it was not within the normal ranges and my FT3 was tested and in those my FT3 came out pretty normal, so it did not appear like there was a conversion problem.

Although I'm thinking about discussing cytomel next time. thing is my doc wants to keep me on this dosage and wait. I'm on this dosage for 4 months now, it ain't working, I ain't getting there with this you know.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:00 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, there's hope with the weather - especially since it's spring/summer in Belgium

What meds are you taking now and what dose?

I wouldn't be in a rush to add Cytomel without optimizing your FreeT4 level first.

Your doctor should be checking your levels 6-8 wks. after any dose adjustments....especially since you're having symptoms.

Last edited by sammy64; 06-27-2011 at 06:01 AM.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:06 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

my levels are checked every 3 weeks even, I know it takes 6 weeks but my complaints can get so overwhelming that it's like a mental thing to hold too. knowing what goes on you know, in order to stand the complaints. Sounds sad really.

BUT so yeah they are checking in between, they were similar to these and then I get well those are good, wait. I drown in the complaints but levels good so I feel good right? I do understand that they wanted to wait a bit longer this time, because I had a lot of medication adjustments and to give my body some peace. But after 3-4 months, think it's clear it ain't the proper dosage yet.

The thing is, like now yesterday cold, today better, tomorrow too. I feel it instantly but start to benefit after 3 days or so. then it's a cold day again and bam, all is lost again. Now we had a week cold and I barely manage to get out of bed.

I agree I never brought up Cytomel because I want to optimalize my FT4 levels first.

Yeah especially since I'm having symptoms, they look at the bloodvalues and if they are 'good' (or what they consider to be good.. oh well.

In all my rambling forgot the medication and dosage: Euthyrox (T4) 125 mcg.

Last edited by lisa789; 06-27-2011 at 06:08 AM.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:12 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

don't you have seasons there? if not, I assume you live in Florida?

Closed Thread