It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2011, 01:24 AM   #1
(female)

capturedsunset HB User
How likely is it that I will end up with thyroid storm?

I was diagnnosed with hyperthyroidism back in April, and was prescribed 20 mg of Methimazole. However, I didn't like the pill so I stopped taking it in April. Now, my hair is rapidly falling out, I'm frequently dizzy, I don't sleep, my heart's always tachycardic, and I have trouble breathing. I also excercise for at least an hour or more a day and am on my feet for at least four hours. I am really scared of developing thyroid storm :/ How likely is it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2011, 01:41 AM   #2
(female)

lobolee HB Userlobolee HB Userlobolee HB User
Exclamation Re: How likely is it that I will end up with thyroid storm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capturedsunset View Post
I was diagnnosed with hyperthyroidism back in April, and was prescribed 20 mg of Methimazole. However, I didn't like the pill so I stopped taking it in April. Now, my hair is rapidly falling out, I'm frequently dizzy, I don't sleep, my heart's always tachycardic, and I have trouble breathing. I also excercise for at least an hour or more a day and am on my feet for at least four hours. I am really scared of developing thyroid storm :/ How likely is it?
Hello, I developed thyroid storm when my tonsils were removed. So it was trauma the caused the storm. After that I lived several years with hypertoxic thyroidism before having a 90% thyroidectomy. Why did you stop medication? There is more than one available. Tapazol and Propothyrauracil to name two. It is best to contact your doctor and explain why you did not like Methimazole.
Ask about other options. Your heart is taking a lot of stress due to hyperthyroid and you must be careful. Also please talk to your doctor about excercise as that increases heart rate, possibly to dangerous levels. With all your symptoms your body is telling you to slow down and you must sleep. So please take care of yourself. Let me know how you are doing. Warm hugs, lobo Lee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2011, 01:46 AM   #3
(female)

capturedsunset HB User
Re: How likely is it that I will end up with thyroid storm?

I try to sleep, but I end up tossing and turning all night. And I stopped the medication because of the weight gain I was experiencing. I kinda feel like I'm dying at times from this [symptoms] and I really don't wanna feel like this at 16.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:39 AM   #4
(female)

lobolee HB Userlobolee HB Userlobolee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by capturedsunset View Post
I try to sleep, but I end up tossing and turning all night. And I stopped the medication because of the weight gain I was experiencing. I kinda feel like I'm dying at times from this [symptoms] and I really don't wanna feel like this at 16.
Sorry that you "feel like (you are) dying". I was your age when I went through all this. My doctor strictly limited my activities to keep my heart rate from going through the roof. Please take care and keep your doctor informed. The weight gain may be only a small amount and not just keep going up. Your thyroid needs to slow down the hormone output and that does slow you metabalisn. But a few extra pounds are better than risking damage to your heart or collapsing from exhaustion. Other treatments include surgery or a radioactive iodine pill. But only your doctor can make the decision as to what is best for your condition. This is a serious disorder so PLEASE don't let a few pounds stop you from treatment. Tell your doctor about and how much of a weight gain you have experienced. He may just lower the dose and you will be fine. My weight went up and down 10 pounds with the medications I took. I was glad when I finally had surgery and all that ended. I am concerned. Please let me know what you decide to do and I will do my best to support you.
If I can answer any other questions please ask. Hugs, Lee

Old 07-06-2011, 06:17 AM   #5
(female)

nuttmegs17 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobolee View Post
Sorry that you "feel like (you are) dying". I was your age when I went through all this. My doctor strictly limited my activities to keep my heart rate from going through the roof. Please take care and keep your doctor informed. The weight gain may be only a small amount and not just keep going up. Your thyroid needs to slow down the hormone output and that does slow you metabalisn. But a few extra pounds are better than risking damage to your heart or collapsing from exhaustion. Other treatments include surgery or a radioactive iodine pill. But only your doctor can make the decision as to what is best for your condition. This is a serious disorder so PLEASE don't let a few pounds stop you from treatment. Tell your doctor about and how much of a weight gain you have experienced. He may just lower the dose and you will be fine. My weight went up and down 10 pounds with the medications I took. I was glad when I finally had surgery and all that ended. I am concerned. Please let me know what you decide to do and I will do my best to support you.
If I can answer any other questions please ask. Hugs, Lee

I had graves disease in college and had a horrible time with the medication as well. In addition my doc forbid me from exercise bc my resting heart rate was already 130 and he thought I could literally give myself heartattacks and die. its not a joke. I was having a hard time with meds and refused to take them but my doc broke it down for me: take the meds or take out your thyroid, youre gonna die otherwise. I sucked it up, took the meds and EVENTUALLY (not too long later), I started to feel normal again. I went into remission in fact and was fine thyroid wise for 9 years. Now, I'm dealing with hashi's on the other end of the spectrum.

I encourage you to buy a heartrate monitor at the very least to keep an eye on your heart. If you are concerned about activity - due look into something like yoga, or wear a pedometer and walk. Bursts of intense cardio activity is really doing damage to your heart right now.

its so frustrating and I completely sympathize but it wont be this way forever.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:25 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

As you will note from my signature, I, too, had hyperthyroidism (ala Graves' disease).

Everything you've been told already is right-on.

If you lost weight as a result of being hyper, it makes sense that correcting the hyperthyroidism would help you re-gain the weight.

If the weight gain was unexpected, I do wonder if you were overmedicated - this is not uncommon at all.

The most common starting dose is 20mg (divided into two, 10mg doses/day).

Doctors will also start the patient out on a lower dose, depending on the degree of hyperthyroidism...your bloodwork at the time of your diagnosis would confirm this.

It might take a little longer for the levels to get into range but, even a 10mg starting dose can be effective - I am proof positive of that because I told my doctor from the get-go that I wanted to be conservative with my dosing and, 10mg got my levels back into range after 8 wks.

How long did you take the meds? When did the weight gain start? Knowing the answers to these questions will help figure things out.

I would imagine that you have an adult responsible for your health care and related expenses....perhaps you could share your experiences with him/her and that person might research your condition.

Most people fare very well with anti-thyroid drugs such as methimazole....and most problems are due to improper medication practices by their doctors.

Last edited by sammy64; 07-06-2011 at 06:54 AM.

Closed Thread