It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2011, 10:01 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Spencer1 HB UserSpencer1 HB UserSpencer1 HB User
How many hours apart from eating/drinking should you take your thyroid meds?

I take Cytomel and Synthroid. Synthroid (just once in the morning) and Cytomel two to three times daily. Do you know how long I need to wait before and after taking the Cytomel for me to be able to eat/drink?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2011, 10:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User
Re: How many hours apart from eating/drinking should you take your thyroid meds?

Some people on here might say otherwise but, my research and personal experience shows that Cytomel can be taken with anything.

I take my AM Cytomel with breakfast which includes dairy....I also take all my vitamins/supplements at that same time.

I take my PM Cytomel with or without food, depending on what time I'm eating

I was very fortunate that my starting dose of Cytomel got my FreeT3 level just where it needed to be.

I've been taking Cytomel since January in the manner I just mentioned and my FreeT3 level has held steady.

Now, I'm sure you know that Synthroid dosing requires entirely different practices - it must be taken 1 hour before food/drink other than water or two hours afterwards. In addition, it needs to be taken at least 4 hours apart from calcium and/or iron.

Last edited by sammy64; 07-21-2011 at 10:14 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2011, 10:15 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
Re: How many hours apart from eating/drinking should you take your thyroid meds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy64 View Post
In addition, it needs to be taken at least 4 hours apart from calcium and/or iron.
The calcium/iron supplement thing applies to T3 too - my med label says to keep a gap of 2 hours.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:18 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Spencer1 HB UserSpencer1 HB UserSpencer1 HB User

Great, thank you so much Sammy! I'm curious, what are your medicine dosages?? I think I am going to try the 15 mcg Cytomel starting today after the seven days of 10 mcg. I also read that Cytomel can be taken with or without food, but to be honest I am on my knees with this thing and Cytomel has become my lifesaver so I am going to give Cytomel it's own time to digest and force myself not to eat. It's become my the favorite part of my day and I don't want anything to bother it.

Great, thanks, FinnMaid. I will keep a gap of four hours for any supplements just cause I am paranoid and on my knees with this thing.

Does anyone know if it keeps you up at night? Is there a time that is too late to take it?

Last edited by Spencer1; 07-21-2011 at 10:20 AM.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:24 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnMaid View Post
The calcium/iron supplement thing applies to T3 too - my med label says to keep a gap of 2 hours.
Funny, my med label doesn't say anything about that and neither does some common prescription meds websites.

I did read a well-known thyroid expert mention something about 2-hr spacing of calcium/iron but, by the time I read it,
I was already faring well with Cytomel and didn't change anything.

I guess the calcium in the glass of milk I have when I take my Cytomel isn't affecting things too much.

Maybe the instructions apply more to calcium (and iron) supplements since they tend to have a lot more calcium (or iron) than a glass of milk.

Last edited by sammy64; 07-21-2011 at 10:37 AM.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:30 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I will share my dosages with you but, truly, each of us has his/her own requirements in regards to dosages/meds. The key is to take whatever meds/meds doses needed to optimize our levels.

I am currently taking 125mcg levothyroxine (generic Synthroid) and 5mcg liothyronine (generic Cytomel)....I make sure to get the same generic brand each time.

I understand your decision to take your Cytomel 4 hours apart from any supplements....I'd be inclined to do the same thing if I was in your position.

I like to try the easiest route possible at first and, if that doesn't work, move onto plan B.

My doctor did not give me any instructions for dosing (for either med) and, my Cytomel prescription actually says "once daily". I chose to divide my dose based upon my research....it makes sense.

I am aware of some people taking their T3 at night but, it can have a stimulating effect so, I chose to dose at 8AM and 2PM.

Last edited by Administrator; 07-30-2012 at 09:59 PM.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:35 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy64 View Post
I guess the calcium in the glass of milk I have when I take my Cytomel isn't affecting things too much.

Maybe the instructions apply more to calcium (and iron) supplements since they tend to have a lot more calcium (or iron) than a glass of milk.
I think the calcium in supplements is in a different molecular combo (or what ever you call it ) from the one in milk - and I think you certainly get more calcium from a pill than from your regular dose of dairy products I've never been that careful with my dairy products - and again consistency is the key

Old 07-21-2011, 10:46 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks, Finnmaid - I'm inclined to agree with you. And, you are so very right about consistency - consistency is key with all aspects of thyroid disease.

And, rather than me continue to possibly be giving the wrong advice, I did a little searching about dosing Cytomel/liothyronine. Here's what WedMd had to say:

http://www.*****.com/drugs/drug-7716-liothyronine+Oral.aspx?drugid=7716&drugn ame=liothyronine+Oral&source=1

Obviously, no mention was made of calcium yet mention is made of "vitamins/minerals"....another site only mentions calcium (not iron)

And, both sites say 4 hours

I guess I didn't research more extensively when I first started Cytomel since I don't take calcium and/or iron supplements.

And, I must admit, I put faith in the recommendations a long-time T3 user gave me - she said I didn't have to worry about interactions.

I now realize I am fortunate since the vitamins, minerals and supplements I take (Centrum Silver, flaxseed oil, selenium, B12, Vit D3) are not interfering with my Cytomel.

I sit corrected and apologize for my mis-information

My recommendations on here will be different from now on....always learning....always learning

Last edited by sammy64; 07-21-2011 at 10:52 AM.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:54 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Eir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB User

I take my Eltroxin about an hour before food and the Cytomel in the morning. Cytomel I take usually when I eat a piece of fruit and have coffee or tea in the morning (I'm not a big breakfast eater) and a couple of other meds. Then I take Cytomel again in the afternoon, not usually with anything. Like people have mentioned, I think the most important thing is sticking with a routine.

Closed Thread