It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2011, 06:53 AM   #1
(female)

GreenDuck HB UserGreenDuck HB UserGreenDuck HB User
Help - what is does the Total T3 mean again?

Hi,

I just posted yesterday about seeing a new doctor. As the dust settled, I was a bit more accepting of the tone of the overall visit. She listed Hashimoto's Thyroiditis as one of my current health issues so I do believe she listened and will continue to do so. The endo I saw refused to diagnose and treat me.

She ordered labs and the first one is back now and on my results page of a patient website. It is the total T3 and my number was 139 on a range of 87-178.

The other tests she ordered - which I don't yet have results for - are:
THYROID PEROXIDASE ABS
T3 UPTAKE
THYROXINE T4
TSH
FREE THYROXINE INDEX (84436 & 84479 MUST BE ORDERED)

My prior TSH results were 2.81 in May and 2.01 in June (while on seriously strong antibiotics) and my Free T4 was .7 on a range of .6 - 1.6.

Thanks for any and all input/help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2011, 07:00 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
Re: Help - what is does the Total T3 mean again?

Good thing you're getting those Abs and TSH checked but those other tests... not useful. T3 is inaccurate and doesn't tell much anything - and your FT3 may be well within range too even though you're hypoT.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 07-26-2011 at 07:01 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2011, 07:10 AM   #3
(female)

GreenDuck HB UserGreenDuck HB UserGreenDuck HB User

Thanks, FinnMaid. I

did have the TPO abs done by the endo in June and it was 1.2 with a range of < 9. My thyroidglobulin antibodies were 154 with a range of <116 and this new doctor has those labs. That later result may be why she agreed that I most likely (no biopsy performed to confirm) have Hashi's.

She will call when all results are in and I plan to ask her why she didn't order a Free T3. I'm hoping the answer will be good or at least telling as to how she'll be and if I'll utimately stay with her.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Your FreeT4 back in June was quite hypo, as you know.

Unfortunately, your doctor didn't order reliable tests....labs seem to like selling "thyroid profiles" that contain all those lame tests.

T3 uptake and Free Thyroxine Index are calculations or estimations. The T4 or thyroxine test measures both the usable and unusable hormone.

Doctors just need to check the levels of thyroid hormone that are usable by the body - FreeT4 and FreeT3.

In fact, the National Institute of Health confirms this in this 2003 article (note final sentence):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12915350?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem 2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pub med_SingleItemSupl.Pubmed_Discovery_RA&l inkpos=4&log$=relatedreviews&logdbfrom=p ubmed

The most important thing to me at this point is you getting started on meds so, you'll need to stroke the doctor's ego a bit and somehow negotiate the proper care. (I think we've all been there)

If the doctor doses based upon symptoms, you might be able to continue with her for a bit since it takes at least 6-12 months to find the optimal dose (and we're often still tweaking after that).

Once you're started on meds, then that might be the time to tell the doctor you've been researching so you will have a better understanding of your disease....and "Thyroid for Dummies" mentions the FreeT4/T3 tests - maybe she can "humor" you and run them as well.......

You can always have a backup plan to meet with other doctors....sometimes, if you already have a diagnosis and are taking meds, a new doctor will move forward based upon that.

Unfortunately, these are some of the things we've found the need to do if we want to feel well while having thyroid disease. The doctors don't always make things easy for us but, with some creativity, we can negotiate the proper care.

Last edited by sammy64; 07-26-2011 at 07:19 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to sammy64 For This Useful Post:
GreenDuck (07-26-2011)
Old 07-26-2011, 07:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

I realized I never answered your question about Total T3 (sorry) - that's a measurement of all T3 - both usable and unusable (pretty much the same as "plain" T3 just a "horse of a different name)

Closed Thread