It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2011, 10:37 AM   #1
(female)

jade4903 HB User
Hypothyroidism & Sex Drive

Hi there-

I was recently diagnosed with HYPOthyroidism and started medication five days ago. I have always had a fairly high sex drive and while I understand that a low sex drive is a common symptom of hypothyroidism, I never experienced it. Today my sex drive is through the roof - it is becoming difficult to concentrate on anything because my thoughts are constantly interrupted with the desire to have sex/masturbate. Could this be my medication? - I definitely feel as though my sex drive has increased since I started taking it (though I am on a very low dose to start out for now).

My doctor said to wait 6-weeks before having blood tests again to see if my thyroid levels are in the normal range. She said that it is always possible that we may need to tweak the my levothyroxine dose (again I am on a very low dose for now). Is it possible that even with my low medication dose for hypothyrodism that I am being pushed into the hyperthryoidism zone and thus developing an almost uncontrolled sex drive? My preference would be to not wait 6-weeks to find out if I am on the wrong dose. Is there a transition period where my body needs to adjust to the meds and then perhaps my sex drive will become more "normal" - i.e. manageable? Or, should I call my doc ASAP and ask to have my levels checked now (again, I'm only on day 5 of the meds) because my sex drive is out of control.

Thanks so much for any thoughts!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2011, 12:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Hypothyroidism & Sex Drive

The levothyroxine doesn't cause any side effects by itself; it only supplements your natural supply of thyroid hormone. Indeed... It is thyroid hormone that has been made in a lab. It doesn't alter the way your body works like other pharma drugs do. A low dose of it for only 5 days isn't having any effect on you or your sex drive in that short a time. Your cells simply haven't absorbed enough hormone for anything to have changed yet. It's too soon to have made you hyperthyroid, and too soon to have blood tests to check levels.

I can see what a pickle you're in, but I think you have to search for some other reason you're in it.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:00 PM   #3
(female)

lillybloom HB User
Re: Hypothyroidism & Sex Drive

Hi Jade,

I'm not really sure what to tell you. People that take levothyroxine usually don't start to feel any different for at least two weeks. It took me a few months when I was on Synthroid to notice a small change. HOWEVER, having said that, my doctor recently switched me to Armour which is a natural thyroid medication. She initially put me on to high of a dose and during those first few days, I went from having almost no libido to having a very high libido! It was so strange because the high dose of Armour made me feel so sick that I could hardly get out of bed. So to notice a change like that with my libido made no sense to me at all. She lowered my dose and all of that quickly went away. I thought it had to do with the fast acting T3 that is in Armour but not Levo. Maybe not. I never mentioned that symptom to my doctor. I was to embarrassed so I am not sure if this has happened to many other people.

It's usually standard to wait 6-8 weeks after starting your medication to have your bloodwork done.

Closed Thread