It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2011, 09:27 PM   #1
(female)

DiaNight HB User
Borderline Thyroid Test

This is my first time posting on a site like this, but I felt compelled to as I was online researching what a borderline result from my thyroid test meant and I came across this forum.
I just got my results from my recent physical and the doctor mentioned that I was borderline on my thyroid test (TSH 4.6 vs 2.7 in 2010) and noted that my cholesterol levels (Total 209 with LDL of 123) were quite high and asked me to schedule a follow up appointment.
You have no idea how this has scared me, as my mother, her sister and my mom's first cousin all have hypothyroidism. I know my family history puts me at an increased risk, but I wasn't expecting this at 28 as they all developed this in their late thirties...
I am 5'3" at 110 lbs and am fairly active and eat pretty well. I was planning on starting a family later this year, but have been reading about the issues this causes around fertility and complications in the mental development of a baby and am very concerned.
My doctor wants me to schedule a follow up appointment to discuss treatment options so I am trying to do some research online to see what my options are before I go in to see her so I can be more aware and ask the right questions. I'm really worried as I don't want to go on any medication and would like to see if there are any natural alternatives that can control this condition before it becomes worse...
If anybody has anything helpful they can advise, I would greatly appreciate it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2011, 11:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Borderline Thyroid Test

The medicine to treat hypothyroidism is as natural as it gets. The synthetic version of it is a lab-created duplicate of the same hormone your own gland would make if it could. The natural version is derived from the thyroid glands of pigs, and it closely replicates human thyroid hormone. These are not the same thing as Big Pharma concoctions of chemicals that change bodily functions in unnatural ways. Thyroid hormone is something your body must have in order for the rest of its processes to correctly function.

When your body is deficient in thyroid hormone, the only way to correct that imbalance is to give it additional thyroid hormone from a pill. Herbal potions, natural foods, or yoga lessons just won't cut it. They can be good things, but they will never take the place of the hormone your gland isn't making. Your future babies need that hormone, too. Nothing else will fill their needs in the right way.

I have a problem with the word "borderline". A TSH that high is definitely not "borderline" if your free T4 level is below mid-range (as I bet it is). Did your MD even test your free T4? That's the important level, much more useful to know than TSH if you want optimal, not simply 'adequate', treatment.

My advice is to get started on hormone as soon as you can. You already have a potential threat to your heart health, the high cholesterol. Your future fertility, pregnancies, and children will be at risk because of the low T4. Once you get your thyroid levels stabilized with the help of a stable, therapeutic dose of hormone, it's no big deal from there. Taking one pill a day is no big thing. It's also a relatively inexpensive treatment, as little as 25¢ a day (and that's if you use the most expensive brand on the market). Generics can be had for as little as $13¢ a day. If you were to take Lipitor for your high cholesterol instead of naturally lowering it with thyroid hormone, you'd spend perhaps $1.65 a day for that. You'd be amazed at the number of MDs who'd rather prescribe the Lipitor (and get a hefty kickback from the manufacturer in the process) instead of balancing the patient's low thyroid.

Just do it!

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
lisa789 (08-08-2011)
Closed Thread