It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2011, 01:50 AM   #1
(female)

lizabet61 HB User
Curious, having subtotal Thyroidectomy Surgery on Thursday

I have a 3.2X2.3 solid hypervascular solitary nodule in Right Lobe of Thyroid. The U/S tech said it looked encapsulated. She also saw a small nodule on the isthmus, Radiologist said normal isthmus and left thyroid is clear.My TSH is1.6, and Thyroglobulin is 135. T3T4 normal (don't know exact values) Doctor is planning right lobe excision unless frozen path at surgery shows malignancy then total thyroidectomy. ( I really just want the Total thyroidectomy, because he said if the final path come back he may have to go back in 2 weeks and take the right side out) I have had chronic fatigue, (no good after 2pm ), obese all my life, maybe fibro, big time brain fog lately, overall haven't felt well since 1990's. Always have had normal labs. Have terrible time staying asleep but usually fall asleep fairly easily. So my anxiety level is beginning to get the best of me. I know if it is malignant, it is not hopeless thanks to this HB! But I am worried because my throat is so scratchy, and I have tenderness from neck to posterior right ear., cough and hoarseness. I have read only 5% or so of nodules are malignant. But I am anxious, but positive! I have read so much About what can and what isn't related to malignancy. Any ideas about my info Any response will be greatly appreciated!

Old 08-09-2011, 04:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Curious, having subtotal Thyroidectomy Surgery on Thursday

What were your fna results? I didn't notice them but maybe they are there?

That's a pretty large nodule, and I too would consider getting a total. I hope your surgeon is fantastic---it's very important, especially with a large nodule. I would tell the surgeon, that if there's any question during the surgery, to take as much of the thyroid as possible, because you'd like to avoid a second one.

My total was pretty easy---I didn't need pain meds, and I have pretty much no scar. I was up and about pretty quickly. I had cancer, found it in my fna/needle biopsy, and had the whole thing out, then RAI, and that was 6.5 years ago, and I'm fine. If it is cancer, which is rare, it's pretty easily treatable and curable as well.

Hope your surgery goes as easy as mine, and wishing you benign results!

The Following User Says Thank You to Reece For This Useful Post:
lizabet61 (08-09-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2011, 05:40 PM   #3
(female)

lizabet61 HB User

Thanks Reece. I asked to forgo the FNA since there are some red flags with this nodule and just want it removed. The doctor said he was ok with that. I think the waiting for surgery is the hard part. I am a nurse, so my mind is overactive. But All my friends from work are there to take care of me, (my best Friend will be my PACU nurse) so I am not scared. Just can't wait to figure out the post op plans. My kids are worried, but I have assured them all will be OK, malignant or benign. ALthough I do not look forward to I 131... I am just trying to staying positive, worrying won't help. I'll repost this weekend when I am back home from surgery!

Old 08-09-2011, 05:53 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Terri880 HB UserTerri880 HB UserTerri880 HB UserTerri880 HB UserTerri880 HB UserTerri880 HB UserTerri880 HB UserTerri880 HB UserTerri880 HB User

Everyone has to do what they feel comfortable with and Reece had cancer so her surgery was a no brainer. But I went the other way, the less conservative route and couldn't be happier with my decision. My nodule was 3.4 cm and it contained hurthle cells. 2 biopsies didn't give a definitive answer in terms of whether or not this was cancer. I waited and watched it grow for 4 years because I didn't want surgery. When it finally grew enough, to 3.4 cm, my endocrinologist made me have it removed. I had your choice exactly. Take a chance that it was benign and only remove half so that I had a chance to not be on medicine for the rest of my life with the understanding that if it was cancer, I'd have to go back in for a second surgery right away. Or have the whole thing out and avoid the second surgery completely, whether or not it was malignant or benign. Then have to take thyroid hormone replacement for the rest of my life. I opted for the partial thyroidectomy, it was benign as most nodules turn out to be and I am so happy that's the choice I made. I am now 2 1/2 months post op and so far so good as far as thyroid function goes. Only time will tell if I'll need the meds, but I still have half my thyroid and I'm happy about that. I even have a small 7 mm nodule on the half that's left, but it is 99% benign now that this larger one was benign so I'm comfortable with that.

Anyway, I just wanted to give you another point of view to think about. You need to obviously do what makes you comfortable. And btw....very easy surgery and recovery!

Good luck and let us know what you decide!!!

Old 08-13-2011, 01:33 PM   #5
(female)

lizabet61 HB User

Just got HOME!! Feeling tired but good. Total thyroidectomy completed. Pathology will be in Monday. I ended up with large Right nodule, nodule in isthmus and 2 lymph(?) nodes in left neck. Dr. said seemed too large to be parathyroid glands on left, will have to wait for path report. My calcium did drop a bit, (7.2) now is 8.4. Post op Revisit on Friday. Thanks for the encouragement. I am sure I will have more questions in the days to come.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:16 PM   #6
(female)

lizabet61 HB User

I chose to have the Total Thyroidectomy on Thursday. The Surgeon found a large right nodule almost the total right gland, large isthmus nodule and two large lymph nodes/possible parathyroid glands, he said they appeared too large for parathyroid tissue... pathology will tell on Monday. I have done well. Just had Calcium level drop, back to normal. So glad to be home. Just ready to get Path report and move on with treatment. Thanks for the respsonses.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:22 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Terri880 HB UserTerri880 HB UserTerri880 HB UserTerri880 HB UserTerri880 HB UserTerri880 HB UserTerri880 HB UserTerri880 HB UserTerri880 HB User

I'm glad you're feeling well after the surgery. It's really not that bad a procedure. I've had worse pain just getting ill. But I'm glad you did what is right for you. Hopefully, as is the case with most multi nodular goiters, yours will be benign. Did they do a Frozen Section during the operation where they saw signs that it was either benign or malignant? In my case, they couldn't tell because of the hurthle cells, though the pathologist had a feeling it was o.k.

The Following User Says Thank You to Terri880 For This Useful Post:
lizabet61 (08-14-2011)
Old 08-14-2011, 04:44 AM   #8
(female)

lizabet61 HB User

No, They didn't do a frozen section because they did the total thyroidectomy. I won't know until Monday it is malignant or not, but he has already said I will have the I 131 scan in 6 weeks, and that we would discuss it at my 8/19 appointment. Do you think there is a chance it could still be benign? I am prepared for the worst. I asked him about staging the nodules and he at this point it would be determined by size. So I am thinking it is malignant. I am ok with that I just want to know! But I am going to enjoy the next week or so off work and play with my grandson! I will deal with the treatment as it comes. One interesting note... I had my tonsils and adenoids removed in 1962 at age of 18 months, I mentioned that and he said it was interesting, I very well could have had radiation in the 1960's!

Old 08-14-2011, 06:10 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizabet61 View Post
No, They didn't do a frozen section because they did the total thyroidectomy. I won't know until Monday it is malignant or not, but he has already said I will have the I 131 scan in 6 weeks, and that we would discuss it at my 8/19 appointment. Do you think there is a chance it could still be benign? I am prepared for the worst. I asked him about staging the nodules and he at this point it would be determined by size. So I am thinking it is malignant. I am ok with that I just want to know! But I am going to enjoy the next week or so off work and play with my grandson! I will deal with the treatment as it comes. One interesting note... I had my tonsils and adenoids removed in 1962 at age of 18 months, I mentioned that and he said it was interesting, I very well could have had radiation in the 1960's!

I don't know what the red flags were that made you think this nodule was malignant in the first place. I just reread your first post in here and don't see anything. My nodule was that size and it was benign so the size is not an indicator of your nodule being malignant necessarily.

Let's wait and see until Monday but of course, have hope that it's benign. And I don't know what I 131 is but if it's radiation and your nodule is benign, why do you need it?

Old 08-14-2011, 07:33 AM   #10
(female)

bernicetynan HB User

I have a multi nodular goiter and having a total thyroidectomy on 22nd aug. not sure how big nodules are. Hope your surgery goes well.

bernice

Old 08-14-2011, 10:52 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernicetynan View Post
I have a multi nodular goiter and having a total thyroidectomy on 22nd aug. not sure how big nodules are. Hope your surgery goes well.

bernice
Best wishes for an easy and benign surgery!

Old 08-14-2011, 11:34 AM   #12
(female)

lizabet61 HB User

I feel almost completely back to normal, just a little tired! The surgery wasn't that bad. My neck was sore, I had Vicodin 3 times and came home with no pain med. I truly don't need anything. Best of wishes and I know you will do as well as I did.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:10 PM   #13
(female)

lizabet61 HB User

It is cancer... Papillary and follicular 1.8 cm lesion encapsulated and the lymph nodes that were taken are negative. So I have my post op appointment and see the endocrinologist and have the I 131. Wow. the doctor said it is good that it is only 1.8 cm and not the 3.2 seen on the scan. I guess I am in for a bumpy ride for a while. I am ready to get the show on the road. The weekend has been rough not knowing. I feel a little better now. Though am somewhat numb at this point...

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: lizabet61
sammy64 (08-17-2011), Terri880 (08-15-2011)
Old 08-15-2011, 03:34 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizabet61 View Post
It is cancer... Papillary and follicular 1.8 cm lesion encapsulated and the lymph nodes that were taken are negative. So I have my post op appointment and see the endocrinologist and have the I 131. Wow. the doctor said it is good that it is only 1.8 cm and not the 3.2 seen on the scan. I guess I am in for a bumpy ride for a while. I am ready to get the show on the road. The weekend has been rough not knowing. I feel a little better now. Though am somewhat numb at this point...

Oh no. I'm so sorry to hear this was cancer. I hope what I said didn't raise your hopes thereby making this news more difficult. I could only go by the similarities in our situation and my outcome. And also the statistics of course. I know you know that this cancer is really very treatable and curable. And Papillary is the most treatable of the thyroid cancers and the most common. Was this a follicular variant of Papillary cancer? When you say Papillary AND Follicular, it's usually just one.

You were half expecting this and I know that you will get through it and live a long and full life full of joy with your family. I'll pray that all goes smoothly for you.

Please keep us updated so we know how you are getting along.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:14 PM   #15
(female)

lizabet61 HB User

I am not sure, but I think it is papillary with the follicular variant. I made the MD tell me over the phone. I think he wanted to talk to me at my appointment on Friday, I needed to know. So I am not sure of the details. I am relieved. The unknown and the imagination is worse than reality for me. Now I can prepare. I am fine. Thanks for your concern and good hopes, I am grateful you commented! It will be interesting to see how this unfolds. I will keep you posted!

The following user gives a hug of support to lizabet61:
Terri880 (08-15-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to lizabet61 For This Useful Post:
Terri880 (08-15-2011)
Closed Thread