It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2011, 07:11 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

WhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB User
Synthroid causing LOW Blood pressure?? Is it possible?

I haven't been to this bored in a long while because my doctor and I suspected I actually did not need thyroid meds and my levels were just off for some strange reason so I stopped taking Synthroid (or for me generic levoroxine, sorry for spelling)

I gained weight,became fatigued,depressed and all those other hypo symptoms after a while so now 'm back on it.

I have been back on 25mg once a day for about two,maybe 3 weeks and my blood pressure has dropped from about 110/80 to 95/60! I have been so tired I can barely get out of bed and dizzy.

The only change in my medications at all has been the Thyroid hormone.
Everything I read says thyroid hormone sometimes makes blood pressure go up,but I have read nothing about it going down.

I'm also on Prozac and spironolactone,which is a blood pressure medication,but I have been on that two years and no dosage changes.
It doesn't make sense why my BP would drop so much so suddenly.

So,here is my question...Can synthroid cause low blood pressure?
Is it possible it is just my body adjusting to the medication again?

Or,I have heard when you start taking Synthroid sometimes your symptoms get worse before better?

Please help,I have no idea what I should do or what is wrong with me,but I have not felt well at all.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User
Re: Synthroid causing LOW Blood pressure?? Is it possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenItRains View Post
So,here is my question...Can synthroid cause low blood pressure?
No, there are no side effects to Synthroid/levothyroxine....it's our actual thyroid hormone levels that cause symptoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenItRains View Post
Is it possible it is just my body adjusting to the medication again?
Most definitely! 25mcg is a tease to the body but, a necessary start to hormone replacement. When you first give your body the hormone it's been missing for awhile, it actually tells the pituitary gland to stop producing as much TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) because the body thinks it's over-producing hormone. So, you actually go a bit more hypo after starting meds.

[QUOTE=WhenItRains;4825679]
Or,I have heard when you start taking Synthroid sometimes your symptoms get worse before better? [QUOTE=WhenItRains;4825679]

This happens to all of us....after starting meds.....and after dose adjustments. It's all part of the body trying to adjust.

Think about it, the body has been deficient in the vital hormone every system needs to function. Then, it gets some of it but, isn't sure what to do with it. The hormone gets allocated to the various systems and then, the body realizes it still doesn't have enough for every system to function properly. All the while, symptoms can happen....old ones, new ones.

It's not until we reach our optimal levels/dose before everything settles in. Thankfully, as we get closer to our optimal levels, symptoms are less "dramatic" and are usually fewer in number and frequency.

It's entirely possible to be symptom-free while having thyroid disease but, it can take awhile (easily a year) for this to happen. And, that's only if the patient and doctor are working to optimize thyroid hormone levels....for most of us, this means FreeT4/FreeT3 levels in the upper third of the range.

Last edited by sammy64; 08-19-2011 at 09:07 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to sammy64 For This Useful Post:
WhenItRains (11-29-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2012, 07:15 AM   #3
(female)

Voltage HB User

Hi WHEN IT RAINS,

Just wondering if you figured out your low blood pressure? I read your post and I have exactly the same problem.

Hoping to find a solution!

Thanks

Last edited by Voltage; 11-29-2012 at 07:16 AM.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

WhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB User

Hi Voltage! This post was over a year ago,but I did indeed find out why my blood pressure was so low.It had nothing to do with the Synthroid.
It turns out I was pregnant,and pregnancy can cause low blood pressure in the beginning.So,that combined with my blood pressure meds was causing me to be extra low.

I ended up having a miscarriage (probably because of all my medications)
and then my blood pressure went back to normal.

Hopefully this is not the case with you,lol...

Old 11-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #5
(male)

TaoCat HB User

I have something similar...the better by thyroid levels, the lower my blood pressure (I tend towards the high end, BP-wise). As my TSH goes up, so does my blood pressure. It's called a paradoxical response, or was by my endocrinologist at the time. You may want to keep track of your thyroid levels/symptoms and your blood pressure in a journal to see if something like that is occurring with you.

Closed Thread