It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2011, 04:12 PM   #1
(female)

nuttmegs17 HB User
Energy is Up and Down - is this normal?

Hi!

I've been on my new dose for about 6 weeks. The last couple of weeks I am all over the board...I go from not being able to get out of bed tired, to almost normal....you think I'd be consistent one way or another, but its not. I was able to get through my cousins wedding weekend great - hardly even noticed low energy...but now that I'm back, it's like it's caught up with me and I'm having trouble getting out of bed.

When I brought this up to my doctor he seemed to think it was something OTHER than thryoid- he said i should be consistent at this point...

I guess i'm wondering if anyone else has gone through this? He recommended adding more cytomel to my routine but as all my other symptons are great for once (am no longer in pain, edema is down, etc) I'm really hesistant to add for fear of rocking the boat.

My levels are good but there is some room to play based on my labs (located in another post) which is why he recommended more cyto.

It's just difficult bc some days I'm great, and others the fatigue is just so extreme.....

Thanks for any feedback

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2011, 04:15 PM   #2
(female)

nuttmegs17 HB User
Re: Energy is Up and Down - is this normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttmegs17 View Post
Hi!

I've been on my new dose for about 6 weeks. The last couple of weeks I am all over the board...I go from not being able to get out of bed tired, to almost normal....you think I'd be consistent one way or another, but its not. I was able to get through my cousins wedding weekend great - hardly even noticed low energy...but now that I'm back, it's like it's caught up with me and I'm having trouble getting out of bed.

When I brought this up to my doctor he seemed to think it was something OTHER than thryoid- he said i should be consistent at this point...

I guess i'm wondering if anyone else has gone through this? He recommended adding more cytomel to my routine but as all my other symptons are great for once (am no longer in pain, edema is down, etc) I'm really hesistant to add for fear of rocking the boat.

My levels are good but there is some room to play based on my labs (located in another post) which is why he recommended more cyto.

It's just difficult bc some days I'm great, and others the fatigue is just so extreme.....

Thanks for any feedback
and i should add that its not just the feeling of fatigue - even my breathing is much slower/deeper its crazy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2011, 08:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Nuttmegs17;

Gotta love blood chemistry. Okay it takes 2 weeks for your thyroid adjustment to reach optimal levels in your blood stream. However it takes an additional 2-4 weeks for your symptoms to stabilize. You have waited long enough and can check your levels with another TSH, FT4, and FT3 blood test.

Hum. Was he looking at your blood results? What were your last lab results and ranges. The way to get the most help is to share your lab results with us. We can only give general advice on symptoms. A lot of things can be going on. You are still under medicated. You may have thyroid balance issue due to conversion difficulties. Adrenal gland conversion issues. RT3 over conversion and more. Your FT3 and FT4 levels and ratio can tell us and you a lot if you know how to read them.

I guess i'm wondering if anyone else has gone through this?

Yes ma'am. SOurce? Hypoadrenalism and suboptimal thyroid levels for me.

I need to see your labs and ranges before I can give you any more detailed advice.

MG

Old 08-25-2011, 06:49 AM   #4
(female)

nuttmegs17 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgbrook View Post
Nuttmegs17;

Gotta love blood chemistry. Okay it takes 2 weeks for your thyroid adjustment to reach optimal levels in your blood stream. However it takes an additional 2-4 weeks for your symptoms to stabilize. You have waited long enough and can check your levels with another TSH, FT4, and FT3 blood test.

Hum. Was he looking at your blood results? What were your last lab results and ranges. The way to get the most help is to share your lab results with us. We can only give general advice on symptoms. A lot of things can be going on. You are still under medicated. You may have thyroid balance issue due to conversion difficulties. Adrenal gland conversion issues. RT3 over conversion and more. Your FT3 and FT4 levels and ratio can tell us and you a lot if you know how to read them.

I guess i'm wondering if anyone else has gone through this?

Yes ma'am. SOurce? Hypoadrenalism and suboptimal thyroid levels for me.

I need to see your labs and ranges before I can give you any more detailed advice.

MG
Thank you SO MUCH for looking!!
FT4 1.3 RANGE: .8-1.8 ng/dL
FT3 3.5 RANGE: 2.3-4.2 pg/mL
Antibodies: 347 RANGE: lesss than 35
Reverse T3 31 RANGE: 11-32

curious what you think?
my doc wants to add more cytomel to my regim but others have thought perhaps adding armour for both t4 and t3 is a better answer...at a standstill at this point

Old 08-25-2011, 07:30 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

[QUOTE=nuttmegs17;4829627]Thank you SO MUCH for looking!!
FT4 1.3 RANGE: .8-1.8 ng/dL
Just in case you do not know how to analyze your results:
1.3-.8=.5
.5/(1.8-.8)=.5*100=50% of normal range.

If you are menopausal your are right in the middle of optimal range. If you are not you are just outside the 60-80% optimal range. If your optimal is 60%. You are close if it is 80% you still need a good bit of adjustment.

FT3 3.5 RANGE: 2.3-4.2 pg/mL
One more time!
3.5-2.3=1.2
1.2/(4.2-2.3)=0.6316*100=63.2% of normal range.
Depending on if you are meno or not. You are either just inside optimal range or just above it. What stands out the most to me is thyroid hormonal balance. Currently you are 13% higher in T3 than in T4. Balanced thyroid hormones are when your T3&4 levels are within 5-10% of each other. It is rare to have them at identical values in range, but it dies happen on occassion. For me it was when I was at 10% of normal range. Ugh!

Antibodies: 347 RANGE: lesss than 35
Didvhe tell you had HASHIMOTO's? There are a lot of antibodies out there. TPO AB?
TGAB?
Please tell me not ANA, those are about 40 years out of date. Antiques even.

Reverse T3 31 RANGE: 11-32
You are a bit high in range, meaning your body like to convert your T4 into useless RT3. Think of RT3 as the Splenda version of T3.

curious what you think?
Remember that old wives tell about curiosity....
Any who this is what I think. You need a T4 increase before a T3 increase. If you told me the dosage of meds your were on I could do a rough calculation of how much. 25 mcg jump may be too much. I would probably push for a 12.5 increase if I was you and premeno.

my doc wants to add more cytomel to my regim but others have thought perhaps adding armour for both t4 and t3 is a better answer...at a standstill at this point.

No to the T3 and Armour for now IMPO. Why? T3 would increase the T4:T3 imbalance. Armour may be a good topper to your current regime but you should try and start with a balanced T4:3 ratio first. Get the t4 and t3 Balanced and then think about adding a T4/3 combo like Armour.

I am making an assumption here. You are currently on both T4 and T3 supplements correct? If you tell me pre/post meno, that would help me as well.

Hope you find this helps you.
MG

Old 08-25-2011, 08:59 AM   #6
(female)

nuttmegs17 HB User

Thank you

In answer to your questions
I am 29 female - not meno yet
my meds:

I take a combo of armour and cytomel. Was starting on just armour, and then added cytomel later whcih helped some.

my dosage is

AM: 1 grain armour, 2.5 mcg cyto
PM: half grain armour, 2.5 mcg ctyo.

My doc recommended adding 5 mcg ctyo to my meds but I am concerned that would be too much, esp as others have mentioned adding armour would be smarter. what do you think?

I do not have any other lab works to share, but yes have been diagnosed with HASHI's as well as gluten intolerance (not sure that the last part matters).

please let me know your thoughts!! thank you so much

Old 08-25-2011, 09:31 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Okay! Now I have a more complete picture.

Still a BIG HADES NO to adding 5 cytomel. It may help with some physical symptoms temporarily, but not with any T4 deficient ones.

Given your meds I would insist on a trial change to
1 grain of Armour morning and evening and 2.5 of cytomel only in the morning.
I would ride this change for 4 weeks get am FT3&4 test run and see where things were. Depending on balance and levels additional adjustments may be necessary.

At work so can't text long. Playing with neutronic radiation awaits! And my crane! He he!

Last edited by mkgbrook; 08-25-2011 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Testing typo!

The Following User Says Thank You to mkgbrook For This Useful Post:
Looking4aAnswer (08-25-2011)
Old 08-25-2011, 10:52 AM   #8
(female)

Looking4aAnswer HB UserLooking4aAnswer HB UserLooking4aAnswer HB UserLooking4aAnswer HB User

Mkgbrrok,

Your job sounds quite interesting. Thanks. This information helped me out as well.

Closed Thread