It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2011, 08:13 AM   #151
(female)

Ktay14 HB UserKtay14 HB User
Re: New thyroid patient with questions??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemsrite View Post
It's Grave's! Thank God I finally know for sure!! Dr gave me tapazole and is sending me for the TSI just for documentation purposes. He said he recommends RAI treatments but it's up to me if I wanna do meds and keep a check on it. He said he sees Grave's way less often than hashimoto or hypothyroidism.
Well I am so glad you know for sure too! I imagine you feel a sense of relief. Now to get on with feeling better . Glad you got those meds. I still would encourage you to get in with an opthamologist even though you don't have eye symptoms. Keep us posted on how you are feeling. I am so happy this part of the journey is over for you!

Old 09-01-2011, 08:32 AM   #152
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Well you know my take on RAI ABLATION as a form of treatment. . I will save you the rant on that one. Since he is unfamiliar with treatment medication wise I would request a referral to an Endo for antithyroid medication treatment. HyperT requires reverse titration of your thyroid function. If he does not feel quite up to the challenge request a new MD for thyroid care and management. Also get him to run the TRAB! TSI is only half the graves picture.

MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2011, 09:13 AM   #153
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

He did get the ATD correct.

In the US there are two recognized ATDs:
PTU-propylthiouracil those allergic to sulfa drugs beware of this drug.
Tapozole- methimazole this has gentler side effects.

Be sure to discuss this medication with your pharmacist.
Minor side effects recognized are mainly symptoms of hyperT or hypoT. It is essential that you start a symptom log now. Note your symptoms before and after medicating.

ATDs literally stop you thyroid from producing T4 and T3 which is produced in an 80:20 ratio by a healthy thyroid.

The importance of TSI is to know how much of your activity can be blamed on immune system interference with your thyroid directly or indirectly by TRAB which interact with your pituitary gland and make produce excess TRH (TSH Releasing Hormone).

One non-optimal thyroid side effect to beware of is a change in your taste buds and olfactory glands. Things may taste and smell weird. My aunts main complaint.

SERIOUS SIDE EFFECTS:

STD allergic reaction symptoms ( rashes, hives, difficulty breathing, heart issues, facial swelling). Stop taking the meds and go to the ER or your MD for treatment if these arise.

Dark urine means your kidneys are effected. Get them checked out.

Stomach PAIN go to your MD for evaluation.

Yellowing of the skin and eyes- liver is being adversely effected get function checked out and stop the drugs.

You do not want to take this medication if you are pregnant or plan to be... I know this is not an issue with you right now, but it does cause severe birth defects and effects fetal development in the womb. Trying to be thorough here..

Get blood work retested in 4 weeks after starting this medication.
TSH 3rd Gen
FT4
FT3

Your treatment adventure is about to begin.! Best of luck!
MG

Old 09-01-2011, 10:15 AM   #154
(female)

Gemsrite HB UserGemsrite HB User

My uptake was 47 at 6 hrs and 53 at 24 hrs. He put me on 20mg of tapazole every 8 hrs.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:01 AM   #155
(female)

Thanks mg!! Your posts are always so informative. I'm glad I finally have a dx so I can hopefully start to feel better soon! I wonder how long it takes to take effect?

Old 09-01-2011, 11:15 AM   #156
Senior Veteran
(female)

Okay I called my expert TaP users that I keep on a family retainer. My aunts!

Mild hyperT is treated with 15 mg - 3x daily
Mod hyperT is treated with 30-40 mg - 3x daily
Severe hyperT is treated with 60 mg -3x daily

A good starting dosage is 0.4 mg * body weight in kilograms divided by three. This is the treatment regime used for pediatric patients. I can convert your weight from lbs to mg if you need me to...

Occasionally treatment results in periods of remission. During these periods you need to stay on a 5-15 mg dose a day.

20 mg is a good starting point.

You can get your first blood work tested as early as two weeks. My aunts recommend your first tests at 2, 4, and 8 weeks. Then in 4 week intervals until stable. Bounce stable you should evaluate every 8-12 weeks or when symptoms arise. I think I have all the info here.

One is a nurse so she got all technical on me. I hope I handled it alright.

MG

The Following User Says Thank You to mkgbrook For This Useful Post:
Gemsrite (09-01-2011)
Old 09-01-2011, 01:14 PM   #157
(female)

Awww... I've got experts in my corner . That's an awesome feeling!

Old 09-01-2011, 10:08 PM   #158
Senior Veteran
(female)

We did a quick talley

I have 10 years living with Hashi's and graves.
My mom has 27 years.
Aunt Be has 23 years.
Aunt Ba has 18 years.
Aunt R has 17 years.
Aunt N has 15 years.
Cousin S has 2 years..... Newbie.

Together we have 97 years of Exp. We only included living experts. Or the total would gave gone WAY up. We were amazed by that. After this year we will break our centennial in combined thyroid pain in the neck living experience!

Wow! Boggles the mind to think like that. However when we get together and buddy up for Endo appointments. Some Endos get a wee bit intimidated.

MG

Old 09-04-2011, 04:13 PM   #159
(female)

I have a medicine question for you guys. Is it standard procedure to administer the dose every 8 hrs? The reason I ask is my dosing is 2, 10mg tablets every 8 hrs and I'm starting to see slight relief with symptoms but I start to slip backwards about half way between doses. Would taking 1 tablet every 4 hrs make a huge difference? I'd still be getting the same amount of tapazole daily just closer between doses?

Also, I read a journal article by and endocrinologist that said taking anti thyroid meds tremendously compromises the immune system leaving you wide open for life threatening illnesses, is this true?

Old 09-04-2011, 06:43 PM   #160
(female)

Ktay14 HB UserKtay14 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemsrite View Post
I have a medicine question for you guys. Is it standard procedure to administer the dose every 8 hrs? The reason I ask is my dosing is 2, 10mg tablets every 8 hrs and I'm starting to see slight relief with symptoms but I start to slip backwards about half way between doses. Would taking 1 tablet every 4 hrs make a huge difference? I'd still be getting the same amount of tapazole daily just closer between doses?

Also, I read a journal article by and endocrinologist that said taking anti thyroid meds tremendously compromises the immune system leaving you wide open for life threatening illnesses, is this true?
I'll let MG answer this one. I have never been on ATDs so I really don't know. Glad that you are getting a little relief!

Old 09-05-2011, 05:21 AM   #161
Senior Veteran
(female)

The ATD meds are designed for 8 hr administration. Now whAt you are experiencing is Very Very common on your initial dosage. It takes time for levels to build up in your system. I can not see that taking 10 mg every 4 hours versus 20 mg every 8, would cause you harm. However doing this may cause you to feel less relief from symptoms by Maintaning a lower concentration through out the day. I would consult with you pharmacist for more detail on this one. My aunts used/use the 8 HR dozing plan.

As to suppressing your immune system, yes it does. But it only would open you to added ills if you are driven hypoT. Your immune system will not be damaged by use of this drug. Increased manifestation of Colds and sinus ills are common in hypoTs.

Hope this was helpful. I am betting your dosage is a bit low if you are having break through symptoms. You should really push for testing at the 2 week, 4 week, and 6-8 week time periods.

MG

The Following User Says Thank You to mkgbrook For This Useful Post:
Gemsrite (09-05-2011)
Old 09-05-2011, 08:58 AM   #162
(female)

I have one for ya MG if you don't mind my constant pestering lol! I was reading back through your posts like you recommended and I had an ah ha moment like no other . I have NO half moons on my fingernails and I've had the vertical ridges since high school roughly 14 yrs ago. For the posts I've read so far it's a hypoT symptom. Is it possible that the symptom can happen to those of us with Graves' too?

Old 09-05-2011, 12:37 PM   #163
Senior Veteran
(female)

It is common in thyroid suggested, but more common in Hypot's. It is a result of vitamin absorption induced deficiency. Most common causes low b12 or anemia. So many of us are vitamin deficient. If you have not had your ferritin, B12, vit D tested I recommend getting them tested. These are the most common absorption induced deficiency due to poor thyroid induced absorption.

Closed Thread