It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2011, 08:12 AM   #1
(female)

MA_lady HB User
New here, symptons, lab results

First, I'm so glad I found this board! I'm a huge mess right now. I've suspected that my thyroid was an issue for several years (I'm 37), but my TSH was always normal so my doctors never did any further testing. But in April my PCP examined my neck and told me my thyroid was enlarged. I had an ultrasound in June with the following results:
"The gland is mildly enlarged and diffusely heterogeneous due to innumerable scattered very small hypoechoic foci measuring less than 5 mm."
Right Thyroid: 5.4x1.9x1.9 cm
No nodules detected
Left Thyroid: 5.0x1.3x1.9 cm
No nodules detected
Isthmus: 4 mm in thickness

My PCP didn't think it was urgent for me to see an endocrinologist so I wasn't able to get an appointment with one until the end of July. I've now seen my current Endo three times since then and I feel like I'm getting nowhere. He told me he'd have my diagnosis by November. Meanwhile, my symptoms are making me crazy. I'm a SAHM with a 2-year old and 4-year old and I'm having trouble making it through each day. I have severe insomnia (had sleep study in July and am trying CBT), memory loss, lack of concentration, muscle weakness, loss of appetite w/10 lb. weight gain, irritability, nausea, metallic taste in my mouth, dry eyes, dry mouth, etc. This past weekend I was so out of it mentally and physically that I could not move. My husband would ask me a question and I would immediately forget what he said. (It's taken me about 45 minutes to write this post!) This past Monday I was at my Endo and asked for more lab work. He finally agreed and I went to his office and picked up the results today. I'm hoping someone can help me make sense of my lab results.

TSH 2.470 range 0.450-4.500
FT4 1.15 range 0.82-1.77
FT3 3.3 range 2.0-4.4
TgAb <20 range 0-40
TPO Ab 919 range 0-34
PTH 16 range 15-65
Calcium, ionized 4.52 range 4.65-5.30
Calcium 8.5 range 8.9-10.3

I can see that my TPO Ab is outrageously high at 919. What does that mean? Is it Grave's Disease or Hashimoto's? I called my Endo and left a message asking to speak with him because I don't have another appointment until the end of November!! I feel like I'll be hospitalized or dead by then.

Thank you in advance!
Anna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2011, 10:35 AM   #2
(female)

MA_lady HB User
Re: New here, symptons, lab results

It's me again. I just got off the phone with my endocrinologist. He said that because of my high TPO Ab I possibly have Hashimoto's, but that he's not going to prescribe thyroid medication for me because my thyroid function is normal. I questioned him about my near low PTH and low calcium levels, but he changed the subject. He told me that I needed to cool off and that I should see a neurologist about my cognitive function. I'll probably take his advice and go to a neurologist, but I won't be going to him anymore.

I'm now left feeling like I'm an island. Anyone out there have something, anything for me to cling on to?

Old 08-25-2011, 10:41 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Your TSH is above 2, your freeT4 is in the low third of the range and you have symptoms so it's likely that you're hypothyroid. I think you should get a second opinion.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 08-25-2011 at 10:41 AM.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:03 AM   #4
(female)

MA_lady HB User

I appreciate your response.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-16-2011 at 10:20 PM.

Closed Thread