It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2011, 06:52 PM   #1
(male)

Mark586 HB User
Just got diagnosed with HypoT

hey all! a little background on me:

18 years old, I weigh 185 lbs at 6 ft

I developed severe fatigue and didn't really want to do much but lay around and sleep about a year ago, i ended up getting kicked out of school my senior year(12th grade) because they said I was just lazy, no one really believed me when I told them that I couldn't wake myself up in the morning and fell asleep in classes despite getting a lot of rest at night.

I got fed up with sleeping 12-15 hours and still being tired with absolutely no motivation to do anything in life so i saw my doctor.

He did a ton of bloodwork, checked my testosterone, hormones, iron levels and told me the next week at my follow up that I had hypothyroidism.

He prescribed me Synthroid .075mg tablet Levothyroxine sod 75mcg sand.

I have a few questions:

When's the best time to take my pill? I take it each day when I wake up.
When will I feel my energy come back and some motivation increase?(I've been using it for 4 days now and feel no change)

Will this aid in fat loss? I've been on a diet for the past 4 months and went from 245 lbs to 185 eating at 1500 calories each day and doing enormous amounts of weight training and HIIT but I've hit a major plateau where my weight isn't going down at all despite all the hard work I've been doing.

I also have an ultrasound scheduled for this upcoming monday, my doctor believes I have hepatitis, does this affect my thyroid at all?

Thank you!

The following user gives a hug of support to Mark586:
mkgbrook (08-26-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark586 For This Useful Post:
mkgbrook (08-26-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2011, 07:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Just got diagnosed with HypoT

Mark586;

WELCOME! We truly can benefit from more male participation. But thyroid gunk is female dominant. However Autoimmune thyroid disorders are genetically dominant. I have both Graves and Hashimoto's and worry over my children. I watch them like a hawk and make the MDs test their thyroid levels and antibodies yearly. I refuse to let something start and not be caught early if I can help it.

18 years old, I weigh 185 lbs at 6 ft

WOW! I am jealous. Your a light weight. I am 5'2" and weigh more ;-).

I developed severe fatigue and didn't really want to do much but lay around and sleep about a year ago, i ended up getting kicked out of school my senior year(12th grade) because they said I was just lazy, no one really believed me when I told them that I couldn't wake myself up in the morning and fell asleep in classes despite getting a lot of rest at night.

I got fed up with sleeping 12-15 hours and still being tired with absolutely no motivation to do anything in life so i saw my doctor.

He did a ton of bloodwork, checked my testosterone, hormones, iron levels and told me the next week at my follow up that I had hypothyroidism.

He prescribed me Synthroid .075mg tablet Levothyroxine sod 75mcg sand.

This is a good starter dose. Now I want you to start getting copies of your labs. That is important. You need to make sure that your MD is testing you thoroughly and not leaving anything out.

A good thyroid panel on a T4 supplement regime is TSH, Free T4 (DIRECT) and Free T3 (Direct). Optimal range is 60 - 80% of normal range. There is an easy formula to calculate this. I start each of my thyroid care and concern threads with that formula. You should search for treads by mkgbrook and read them many people weighed in and shared a lot of GREAT info there so they can help with answering and figuring out new questions.

Also during the initial diagnosis phase you should also get tested for the thyroid antibodies. These are TPOAB, TGAB, TSI, and TRAB. If your thyroid source is autoimmune there are added things to keep an eye on.

I have a few questions:

When's the best time to take my pill? I take it each day when I wake up.
When will I feel my energy come back and some motivation increase?(I've been using it for 4 days now and feel no change)

First thing when you wake in the morning take your pill with water. No food or drink for an hour after that. This will allow for maximum absorption of your thyroid medication. One thing that will reduce thyroid absorption is iron. Iron fortified cereal and multivitamins are common interferers with thyroid medication absorption. You want to take your multivitamins 8 hours before your thyroid meds or 4 hours after. Calcium carbonate is the other. If you supplement calcium the same rule holds 8 before/4 after.

Now it takes 14 days for that thyroid medication to reach equilibrium in your blood at each new dosage level. Once equilibrium is reached you will begin to feel your symptoms adjust. It takes 2-4 weeks after equilibrium is reached for your body to adapt its symptoms. If you still have hypoT symptoms at the 4 week mark get another blood draw and check your FT3 and FT4 levels. If you are still suboptimal in range get a 12.5 - 25 mcg bump. How much depends on your FT levels.

Will this aid in fat loss? I've been on a diet for the past 4 months and went from 245 lbs to 185 eating at 1500 calories each day and doing enormous amounts of weight training and HIIT but I've hit a major plateau where my weight isn't going down at all despite all the hard work I've been doing.
Your thyroid hormones are responsible for body temp, metabolic rate, O2 muscle storage, basal metabolic rate, memory, and so much more. It is possible that you will be able to lose weight again when your thyroid is stable. One thing that help me prior to a second pregnancy and another long hypoT stint was seeing a nutritionist in conjuction with my MDs practice. Adding fiber and going to the caveman diet was VERY effective.

I also have an ultrasound scheduled for this upcoming monday, my doctor believes I have hepatitis, does this affect my thyroid at all?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002139/
Here is a good governmental link about hepatitis. I am not as familiar with it. But a quick search showed that this is a liver targeting beast. Now does this directly effect your thyroid. No. Can it effect your thyroid hormone levels? Yes. The liver is the work horse thyroid hormone converter. The liver takes the thyroid energy reserve long term storage hormone T4 and converts it to T3 the active toddler on sugar that runs about checking every thing out and pushing all the buttons. Hepatitis can stress the liver and thus impact its ability to efficiently convert your thyroid hormone.

Hope this helps. It will be very informative to get an active male perspective on how thyroid disease effects them. We can get a bit bwitchy about here. Ignore us. We can blame it on hormones.

THANK-YOU!

Last edited by mkgbrook; 08-26-2011 at 07:23 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to mkgbrook:
Mark586 (08-26-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to mkgbrook For This Useful Post:
Mark586 (08-26-2011)
Closed Thread