It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2011, 12:59 AM   #1
(female)

teajah1098 HB User
Please help with ultra sound results!!!!!!!

Can someone tell me what this means? I had this unltra sound done 08/05/11

The right lobe of the thyroid measures 8.4 x 3.4 x2.6 cm and is heterogeneous. Multiple nodules are present. Some of these nodule can be correlated with previous ultrasound from 05/28/2008. The nodules are noted as follows. In the inferior portion a 1.1 x 1.0 x .9 cm nodule, which is hypoechoic. A complex nodule in the mid portion of the right lobe measures 1.5 x 1.5 x 1.2 cm. A previosly noted nodule in the mid portion of lobe now measures 2.3 x 1.6 x 1.1 cm. Previously it measured 9.3 x 11 x 6 mm. Within the anterior portion of the right mid lobe a hypoechoic nodule with internal flow is noted at 1.4 x 1.2 x .7 cm and within the superior pole a nodule i hypoechoic with increased flow measuring 8.5 x 8.1 x 5.4 mm.

The left lobe measures 7.2 x 2.0 x 2.6 cm. There are four nodules in the left lobe, one that is complexed in the superior pole measures 2.2 x 1.9 x 1.5 cm. This had measured 1.4 x 1.5 x .9 cm on the previous study. Within the inferior pole there is a 13.5 x 8.3 x 6.6 mm hypoechoic nodule with flow. This previously had measured 7.3 x 5.8 x 3.9 mm. Two nodules are identified that are not related to previous nodules. One in the inferior pole, which is mildly hypoechoic measures 1.5 x 1.4 x 1.1 cm and an isoechoic nodule in the mid portion measures 11.2 x 7.5 x 7.6 mm.

Within the isthmus there are two nodules. One measuring 1.4 x 1.2 x 1.0 cm and a second one along the superior margin measuring 7.4 x 9 x 5.1 mm. The isthmus measures 6.8 mm in its average thickness.

Impression: Multiple nodules. Some are new and other are increased in size. With the numerous nodules present, this most likely represents multinodular goiter. One nodule in each lobe measures greater than 2.0 cm in size . Fine needle aspiration of these two larger nodules would be recommended to confirm the multinodular goiter diagnosis. This would be recommended for further evaluation.

Last edited by teajah1098; 08-27-2011 at 01:06 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Please help with ultra sound results!!!!!!!

I'm sorry, but I can't help you interpret the myriad technicalities of an ultrasound report. I don't think there are many here who can. We're better at thyroid function disorders or questions about thyroid cancer in particular.
Just didn't want you to think you're being ignored.

Do you have hypo- or hyperthyroidism? Those are the two main causes of such a nodular/enlarged gland.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:50 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Please help with ultra sound results!!!!!!!

First things first. A little anatomy and physiology. It is a butterfly shaped gland that brackets the esophagus and lies below the voice box. The isthmus is the bridge or connecting channel of tissue between your left and right lobes (or wings). Does this help you picture it better. Heterogeneous is a fancy way of saying mixture. Think a a glass full of sand, pebbles, rocks, and shells versus a homogeneous mixture which would be just a glass of fine white sand. A normal thyroid tissue sample would be homogeneous in texture and visual imagery. Both of your lobes are heterogeneous with multiple pebbles and rocks present. In addition both are enlarged. There are even nodule or lumps or pebbles on you isthmus.

Since your previous scan you have had more nodules form and some preexisting nodules increase in size. The nodule size that is large enough for a successful biopsy needs to be at least 1 cm in one dimension. You have two of these they recommend looking at with an FNA.

Hypoechoic means low echo. This denotes a black ring around the nodule that is not dense thus did not send a significant echo back to the us machine detector. Now the with internal flow means they can see blood moving in and out of that nodule. Inferior and anterior are just medical terms fir location. What you need to know is that your entire thyroid is full of nodules. Over five are of a size to biopsy and get reliable results.

Do you have a good ENT to perform the biopsy? Have you been diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis previously?

Impression: Multiple nodules. Some are new and other are increased in size. With the numerous nodules present, this most likely represents multinodular goiter. One nodule in each lobe measures greater than 2.0 cm in size . Fine needle aspiration of these two larger nodules would be recommended to confirm the multinodular goiter diagnosis. This would be recommended for further evaluation.

They are recommending the larger nodules be evaluated via FNA. The results will confirm or deny Hashimoto's responsibility and determine if the nodules are suspicious or cancerous in nature. Now only 5% of nodules come back suspicious or cancer. So do not start that worry train yet. What this looks like to me is untreated Hashimoto's thyroid battle ground results. Always get a second opinion, and I recommend. ENT's to perform the biopsy and analyze the results. Find one that dedicates at least a day a week to FNA procedures. I can recommend a good one in Chattanooga, TN.

Hope this information helps. If you are more confused let me know and I will attempt to break it down further.

MG

Closed Thread