It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2011, 09:17 AM   #1
(female)

Larazee HB User
Hypothyroidism and Arthritis

Hi to all.

Just felt like sharing my story as it might help others.

First of all i am not English so please excuse spelling.

I am 44 and have been diagnosed last year with Hypothyroidism. Round about the same time my daughter of 16 was also diagnosed. Luckily my GP uses the new standards for testing. Her results were 2.9. Just below the new standards, but he put her on one eltroxin a day. She lost weight and felt like a new person.
Then by the end of last year she went for her first Gyno check. She was outraged that my daughter was on diotroxin, did blood test and told her to not take it as she is well within the range. This caused allot of confusion and as much as I tried to explain that our GP reads the tests differently she did not have a clue what I was talking about.

Anyway, my daughter then decided to stop all medication. Looking back at 2011 so far her psoratic arthritis (diagnosed when she was 9) got out of hand. She gained weight and got depressed with all the pain she had to cope with.

I took her to a Endocrinologist on Friday. He has never met her and knows nothing of her history. When we entered his rooms he told her that her Thyroid is swollen. I nearly fell of the chair. I told him what happened and he was very upset by the Gynies ignorence.
He also tested her reflexes which was very slow. a immediate sign of hypothyriodism. He also explained to her that her pains in her shoulder and hip is directly related to the fact that she stopped the diotroxin.

He said because she had blood test done and he knows my GP and seeing her symptoms he does not require any other test. She must start diotroxin immediately for the rest of her life. He will test her levels again mid Dec to see if the dosage is enough.

Well, i must say I have learned allot the past few days and am just glad that my daughter is in good hands. Imagine my GP still worked on the old ways of reading the test???????????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2011, 09:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Hypothyroidism and Arthritis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara Coetzee View Post
Imagine my GP still worked on the old ways of reading the test???????????
Hello to you.
It's the bane of all of us who have thyroid disease. Disagreement about what constitutes the disorder. Misdiagnosis. Undertreatment. You can get different opinions from as many MDs as you choose to consult. I'm not as surprised as you are.

The tests are only suggestive of true thyroid status. If they're the wrong tests, or the MD doesn't know how to interpret the results, we have the misfortune of going untreated. A proper diagnosis requires the best set of tests and an MD's clinical ability to order them and to interpret the results correctly. You'd be awe-struck to know how often that does not happen. MDs don't bother to understand what the disorder is, or how devasting it can be, much less learn how to diagnose and treat it correctly.

The main thing is, your daughter is finally getting her treatment. I want you both to understand, though, that there's much more to it than just "normal" TSH. The goal should not be to lower the TSH, but to increase the levels of the thyroid hormones, T4 and T3. Read as much as you can absorb about all this, because as you already found, you can't totally rely on the doctor to treat correctly. You may find yourself having to act as her health advocate from now on.

You can find a lot of good information in our "Thyroid Information" sticky thread.

Last edited by midwest1; 08-29-2011 at 09:07 AM.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:44 AM   #3
(female)

Larazee HB User

Thanks Midwest

I can see that the members have allot of experience and knowledge. The terms they use is something I will get once I have gained all the information possible - like you said.
You said the goal should be to lower your TSH, but to increase the levels of thyroid hormones, T4 and T3. Well, I have got lots to learn and never knew that it's this complicated.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

You can search threads by mkgbrook and read my thyroid care and concerns series. There is a lot of good valid information in it.

I would also recommend that both you and your daughter get a thyroid antibody panel run. The thyroid autoimmune diseases are genetically dominant in females. For instance, I have Hashimoto's and graves disease, my mom has Hashimoto's and graves, her four sisters have a combo of Hashi's and graves, my mom's mom had Hashimoto's, my mom's dad's mom had a goiter that reached grapefruit size and was removed... That was too far back to test for Hashi's or Graves but my MD and Endo saw pictures and were willing to bet money on graves.

Given you daughters seems to have manifested during puberty andvyou have issues as well it is nice to have confirmation so that it can aide in tracking the thyroid health of your children and grand children and great grand children. There are five generations with thyroid AIs in my family. I have a son and a daughter. I insist on acfull thyroid profile including antibodies being drawn during their yearly physicals. The antibodies can be passed on to the fetus in the womb. However most do not start off hypoT/hyperT. I am going to do all I can to make sure that if my daughters is in the 60% percentage for inheriting Hashi's/Graves that we catch it and begin treatment as soon as possible. Same goes for my son. He only has a 20% of manifesting an issue and to date are males have been thyroid issue free, but I am not go to get lazy and miss something on the off chance it occurs.

Good luck getting the care you deserve for both you and your daughter! You get kudos for being a GREAT mother.

Sincerely,
MG

The Following User Says Thank You to mkgbrook For This Useful Post:
Larazee (09-03-2011)
Old 09-03-2011, 07:23 AM   #5
(female)

Larazee HB User
Wink Re: Hypothyroidism and Arthritis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgbrook View Post
You can search threads by mkgbrook and read my thyroid care and concerns series. There is a lot of good valid information in it.

I would also recommend that both you and your daughter get a thyroid antibody panel run. The thyroid autoimmune diseases are genetically dominant in females. For instance, I have Hashimoto's and graves disease, my mom has Hashimoto's and graves, her four sisters have a combo of Hashi's and graves, my mom's mom had Hashimoto's, my mom's dad's mom had a goiter that reached grapefruit size and was removed... That was too far back to test for Hashi's or Graves but my MD and Endo saw pictures and were willing to bet money on graves.

Given you daughters seems to have manifested during puberty andvyou have issues as well it is nice to have confirmation so that it can aide in tracking the thyroid health of your children and grand children and great grand children. There are five generations with thyroid AIs in my family. I have a son and a daughter. I insist on acfull thyroid profile including antibodies being drawn during their yearly physicals. The antibodies can be passed on to the fetus in the womb. However most do not start off hypoT/hyperT. I am going to do all I can to make sure that if my daughters is in the 60% percentage for inheriting Hashi's/Graves that we catch it and begin treatment as soon as possible. Same goes for my son. He only has a 20% of manifesting an issue and to date are males have been thyroid issue free, but I am not go to get lazy and miss something on the off chance it occurs.

Good luck getting the care you deserve for both you and your daughter! You get kudos for being a GREAT mother.

Sincerely,
MG
Hi MG

Thank you sooo much for all the valueble information. Eventually I have time this afternoon to search and read your threads regarding thyroid care and concerns. I am also going to share this with my mother and sister that also suffers from hypothyroidism.

You advice us to get a thyroid antibody panel run. ? never heard of this, but will ask by GP when I see him Tuesday morning. I had blood taken Friday to test my thyroid again and got a sms to make a appointment. This means somethings wrong!!

You also said: : "The thyroid autoimmune diseases are genetically dominant in females." Never knew this - THANKS
You know we don't know why my daughter has psoratic arthritis. Nobody in our family from both sides has it.

I feel soooo relieved I cannot tell you. Knowledge surely is power. I am trying to be the best mom I can be and felt emotional reading your last words. Maybe I also felt powerless and drained after all that's happened this year. It feels like a neverending story.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:46 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

TPOAB
TGAB
TSI
TRAB

These are the lab notations for the thyroid antibody test. Yes thyroid AIs are strongly linked to genetics. Five generations of my female line can a test to the 60% dominance if it is from one side of the family or80% if there is a history on both sides. Females are 4x more likely to manifest thyroid issues than their male counter parts.

My daughter has a 60% chance of developing Graves/Hashimoto's while my son only has a 10-20% chance.

MG

The Following User Says Thank You to mkgbrook For This Useful Post:
Larazee (09-03-2011)
Closed Thread