It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2011, 01:32 AM   #1
(female)

diane7723 HB User
How long does it take your thyroid prescription to start working?

I'm not sure how long it took my Synthroid to start working after I'd gained weight, water and felt totally lousy when I was first diagnosed a year and a half ago with Hypothyroidism. I know it wasn't right away. In August my body must have changed because it started happening again and I started gaining weight in the stomach by the day and in my ankles and feet. I felt lousy and I felt a tightening in my chest when I'd walk any distance at all. I tried to tell my doctor that I needed a lab test because things weren't right inside of me but we'd just had a test done recently so he couldn't understand why I'd need to be retested but I did get it done last Tuesday and my thyroid was low.

I started a higher dose of Synthroid==from 137 to 150 mcg with the usual Hydrochlorothiazide last Thursday and have noticed no change yet.

i'm trying to get a general input of thyroid patients as to how long it takes your body to start reacting and working with your higher thyroid dosage to get things back to somewhat normal and for the water weight to start dropping? Or perhaps for the first time you've taken the thyroid medicine, does the medicine work right away or does it take weeks?

Thanks for taking the time to help with your input,

Diane

Last edited by diane7723; 09-06-2011 at 05:56 AM.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: How long does it take your thyroid prescription to start working?

It can take up to 6-8 weeks for the impact of the new dose, I used to feel it around 4-5 weeks, but there are some they say they feel it almost immediately.

The Following User Says Thank You to Reece For This Useful Post:
moll187 (09-27-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2011, 06:50 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

The body chemistry behind thyroid meds is as follows:

Synthroid(T4) : takes 10-14 days to reach blood equilibrium. It then takes on average 2-4 weeks for your physical symptoms to reflect your equilibrated thyroid hormone levels. The closer you are to your optimal thyroid range the quicker you will see/feel results.

Cytomel(T3) : is quicker acting it will reach equilibrium levels in your blood. In 7-10 you blood chemistry will reflect your new levels. It takes another 2-4 weeks for your body to reflect this change as well.

I recommend testing your blood work every 4 weeks initially, making adjustments to dosage according to the results.

You may want to look up threads by mkgbrook and read the thread series thyroid care and concerns. There is s lot of good advice in those six threads.

Good luck getting the care you deserve.
MG

Old 09-06-2011, 07:00 AM   #4
(female)

diane7723 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgbrook View Post

Synthroid(T4) : takes 10-14 days to reach blood equilibrium. It then takes on average 2-4 weeks for your physical symptoms to reflect your equilibrated thyroid hormone levels. The closer you are to your optimal thyroid range the quicker you will see/feel results.

Cytomel(T3) : is quicker acting it will reach equilibrium levels in your blood. In 7-10 you blood chemistry will reflect your new levels. It takes another 2-4 weeks for your body to reflect this change as well.

I recommend testing your blood work every 4 weeks initially, making adjustments to dosage according to the results.

You may want to look up threads by mkgbrook and read the thread series thyroid care and concerns. There is s lot of good advice in those six threads.

MG

Old 09-06-2011, 07:02 AM   #5
(female)

diane7723 HB User

Thanks, Mkgbrook for the statistics behind how fast each medication works...that really makes it helpful to understand how important it is to be patient while the meds work inside our bodies,

Diane

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgbrook View Post

MG

Closed Thread