It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2011, 01:35 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User
new labs, please help

hi everybody,

My new labs after 6 weeks 175 mcg T4 + PTU are
TSH 0.09 (0.40+3.50)
FT4 1.57 (0.54-1.24)
FT3 3.33 (2.50-3.90)

I so had it really, feel at the end of my robe. Any advise would be more then appreciated!

The following user gives a hug of support to lisa789:
FinnMaid (09-07-2011)
Old 09-07-2011, 01:38 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
Re: new labs, please help

Your FT4 is on the high side - maybe you should cut your T4 a bit

The Following User Says Thank You to FinnMaid For This Useful Post:
lisa789 (09-07-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2011, 01:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User

Thank you, yeah indeed it's pretty high.
How much would be a starter? 12,5 or 25 mcg? I don't know.

What about FT3? Does this point at Cytomel being needed after a while or no telling yet?

This seems such an endless story

Old 09-07-2011, 01:59 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Your FT3 looks pretty good so I wouldn't worry about it too much right now. You could start decreasing by 12.5, if you feel that it doesn't do anything for you in a week or two (I'm assuming you have some symptoms at this point) then consider decreasing by another 12.5.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 09-07-2011 at 02:02 AM.

lisa789 (09-08-2011)
Old 09-07-2011, 08:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

I concur drop in 12.5 increments. You can recheck your blood T4 levels as earlier as 2 weeks post change. This will allow you to back titrate quickly if your MD is on board.

Have you had your cortisol and aldosterone checked. High cortisol suppresses T4 to T3 conversion. You are out of balance. Adrenal issues tend to cause this... Or excess supplementation of an oral steroid like prednisone. You taking any steroids for inflammation issues?

I hope you get to your optimal levels soon!
MG

The Following User Says Thank You to mkgbrook For This Useful Post:
lisa789 (09-08-2011)
Old 09-08-2011, 02:40 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

thank you both. Yeah I sure have symptoms and feel like because this lasts already that long, my body is just worn out. I long for some feeling better and optimal levels really.

Sure have symptoms and plenty even. What is weird, one of my current symptoms is my bloated stomach. I can compete with pregnant women (which I'm not), it's painful too. it's a hypo symptom, no? so how is this possible with these labs?

My adrenal glands are checked with ACTH test (is that the word), but nothing came out of that. no I'm not taking steroid.
mkgbrook: Not sure maybe the conversion you point out has to do with the PTU? before that, they did not come out like that.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:27 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

If you're symptoms subside after dose reduction they must've been overmedication related.

lisa789 (09-08-2011)
Old 09-08-2011, 06:57 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

is that possible, bloated belly related to overdosage? Well my belly sure is related to the thyroid, no doubt about it.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:15 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa789 View Post
is that possible, bloated belly related to overdosage?
Well I have problems with tolerating gluten when on the hyperT side and makes my belly bloat (otherwise my belly is perfectly flat )

lisa789 (09-08-2011)
Old 09-08-2011, 07:28 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

so it is possible! thank you! Glad to hear it still can turn flat again, prefer my flat tummy above the bloated one.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:34 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

=lisa789;

Yeah I sure have symptoms and feel like because this lasts already that long, my body is just worn out. I long for some feeling better and optimal levels really.

You will get there hyperT and hypoT issues cause thyroid depression. It doesn't help when you have to herd the MD donkeys out of the way to find your true thyroid artist.

Sure have symptoms and plenty even. What is weird, one of my current symptoms is my bloated stomach. I can compete with pregnant women (which I'm not), it's painful too. it's a hypo symptom, no? so how is this possible with these labs?
Gastric issues are predominantly hypoT. But you get gas and loose stools with hyperT as well. I really think it is the fact that you are hypoT in t3.

Your PTU is a conversion switch. It restricts conversion of T4 to T3 and makes RT3 synthesis preferred. Good call on checking the PTU FUNCTION. I would look into dialing up your ATD and dialing back the PTU. See what your MD thinks of this suggestion.

My adrenal glands are checked with ACTH test (is that the word), but nothing came out of that. no I'm not taking steroid.

I am cringing visibly here. ACTH is the pituitary glands view of adrenal function. It does not actually come from your adrenals. An ACTH alone is like treating your thyroid by TSH alone. Not wise in my opinion. There are multiple pathways that produce more than a dozen hormones in your adrenals. Your adrenals take cholesterol ( yes it has a purpose! ) and use it as the reagent to synthesize pregnenolone, progesterone, estrogen, testosterone, aldosterone, cortisol, DHEA, and many more Are produced in your adrenals. It is important to get a COMPLETE adrenal profile. Would you settle for just A TSH to test your thyroid profile?

The Following User Says Thank You to mkgbrook For This Useful Post:
lisa789 (09-08-2011)
Old 09-08-2011, 08:26 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

hi there,

those MD donkeys sure don't help. It's just crazy how many I saw already.(quick calculation leads me till at least 10, I'm not even exaggerating)
donkeys, good word indeed!

How is the PTU function checked? I don't really understand the part on dialing up the ATD and dialing back the PTU (sorry my mothertongue ain't English). ATD : antithyroid drugs right? and that is PTU. so kinda get confused here.
Well the problem is, I'm not a standard Hashimoto's nor Graves. I have both, (Hashitoxicosis), so constantly switched on a clinical level. No doctor gave attention to that and they treated me like any regular hashi's, yet the thyroid meds only made me to feel worse. Finally I got them to let me try PTU, which causes me to feel much more stable. But I figure now it's getting the proper supplementation with the thyroid medication.

As far as the adrenal glands go, that's pretty much all that is tested. so I'm stuck there. Nope I would not settle for just a TSH test on thyroid level, but then again, most doctors do...

Last edited by lisa789; 09-08-2011 at 08:33 AM.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:22 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

I have Hashi's and Graves as well! So does my mom and two of her four sisters. The other two are pure breed Graves and Hashimoto's. Gotta love that genetic dominance factor. My mom's three brothers. Not a thyroid hick up. Lucky ducks.

My four year quest for the optimal Endo was a bust. There opinions were:

Endumb1 - you are too young for treatment. You don't have both. I don't care what the LAN work says you are Hashimoto's not graves. I piped up well technically I am a Graves my father's name and all. I was labeled fat, lazy, and over earring to under eating and over exercising in 12 minutes. That was so much fun. Then to round up her advice. I will treat you when your TSH is above 3. My family line never has a TSH ABOVE THREE! My aunts and mom after thyroidectomies with out ness had TSHs under 2! The you are not your mother commentary insued. I showed her that my FTs were 10% of normal range and she said. That will come up when I exercise less.

Endumb2 I over heard talking to his nurse outside my cracked door. HASHIMOTOs? Graves? These are autoimmune. I don't know how to treat send her to an immunologist! HUH! Very short visit. He tried to convince me to see an immunologist and start a long term steroid suppression of my immune system to keep my thyroid healthy longer!?!?

Endumb3 insisted in RAI. I showed him I was allergic. He said they cam fix thAt!? Yeah like they stopped my mom's heart and gave her a two week run of the HADES hives! I came back would you prescribe a patient with an antibiotic they are allergic to? Answer no. The RAI the only way to truly kill your thyroid. To which I came back you can cut the damn thing out or let my Hashimoto's demolish. It will be just as dead with
Less glow in the dark. I fired him after that.

Endope4 tested FTs but only used the TSH WHICH IS THE ULTIMATE MEASURE OF YOUR THYROID FUNCTION. Why waste the insurances money on such tests! He was the one I fired quickest.

Endow not bad went over everything and honestly told me thAt hecouldn't provide better care than my colaboration with my IM was yielding. Come back when I needed my thyroid cut out or diabetes treatments.

Well me and my IM work well together.

My mom had a toxic goiter and had her thyroid removed twice. They can grow back, nasty boogers!
My two aunts had thyroidectomies after failed RAIs.

We live by the if they can not medicate me effectively yank it out and give me a clean slate to work with! My mom's refrozen was another Endumb act. Partial thyroidectomy to remove toxic goiter. No medication treatment provided. Her remaining hyperT lobe was assumed to be able to meet her thyroid needs! Well big bad nasty grew back bigger than ever and the Endumb didn't catch it because in his opinion she was cured!?!?

Wow! I feel lighter! Blonde hair aside. A good vent can be up lifting. I truly hope that you get a resolution soon!

MG

Old 09-08-2011, 09:31 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

so you too huh? Yeah sure understand the story and the frustrations you must have felt dealing with those doctors. endo's can be donkeys. Well at least a donkey does not pretend to know it all.

yeah venting sure can be uplifting.

so how are you treated if I may ask?

seriously removed twice? wow had no idea such a thing was even possible!

Last edited by lisa789; 09-08-2011 at 09:33 AM.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:16 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lack of treatment resulted in a Graves - Hashimoto's war. My Hashi's antibodies peaked at greater than 10,000 for a period of a year. I lived in daily hypoT hyperT hades and Hashimoto's killed my thyroid off. So my hypoT is treated with 175 mcgs of T4. My collaterally damaged insulin production and function is treated with metformin 2000 mg daily. My hypoT induced Hypoadrenalism is treated with 20 mg of hydrocortisone a day. I monitor my BP, body temp, heart and more. My graves eye disease is in remission...

I have lpr treated with omeprozole.
Can't take bcs or female hormone therapy due to adrenal backlash.
CPAP for sleep apnea.
Humm.. Test my FTS and adrenals quarterly. I have lab orders fof fts given to me by my IM. If symptoms change i pull out the order date it and go get my blood drawn. Yearly check on antibodies.
Yearly thyroid ultrasound to monitor my nodule...
Then the yearly female, cardiac, sleep medicine, dermatologist, and allergist follow ups.

That covers it. I think.
MG

Closed Thread