It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2011, 10:37 AM   #1
(female)

Camirae HB User
Can someone who knows what they are doing check my lab results?

Hi all. I'm new here and confused.

I have been hypo for over twenty years due to RAI (Grave's), and lately things are getting messed up. Actually, since the 2009 reformulation of Armour have I started feeling so damn awful. I bounced around with Westhroid, back to Armour, then Synthroid for awhile, then back. A year ago when I was pregnant my TSH was 38 - so I had swung very hypo.

Now I'm on Acella (another NDT), and after being on Acella for 8 weeks, here are my latest labs:

FT3 3.1 (2-4.4)
FT4 .96 (.82-1.77)
TSH .01
RT3 159 (90-350)
Vit D 61.8 (32-100)
B12 1000 (211-946)
Ferritin 46 (13-150)
Cholesterol 185
Folic Acid 19

So my FT3 is at barely 46%, my FT4 is at less than 20%, and my Ferritin isn't optimal.

Would the best course of action be to
1. Increase from 3 grains Acella to 3.25 and retest later?
2. Take iron supplements and retest later? or
3. Wait it out and see if I adjust to the new meds. ALTHOUGH when I was on the reformulated Armour, my labs were very, very similar, and I felt bad then, too.

I wanted to add that for a long time, my symptoms have been:

Legs tingling, carpal tunnel, foggy head (like I'm drunk and can't find words or figure out how to respond to people), no attention span, cannot handle the radio being on or sound in the background as it confuses my already-confused head, dry eyes, dry throat, itching with no rash, palpitations and or racing heart beats, constipation or runny stools but not diarrhea, lightheadedness, light-sensitivity (wearing sunglasses inside), a chronically injured ankle that won't heal, muscle pain, deep, deep muscle pain, cramping, aches in joints, weak legs, low blood pressure gone high, being so stiff when getting up from sitting, insomnia and when I was at my worst a three-month long sinus infection.

Now things are slowly tapering off, and I have a few of these symptoms every day, but not all. The lightheadedness remains, though, like I'm drunk, exhausted, or not fully awake. I can't find my words a lot - and say things all messed up. I also feel slightly depressed - no interest in anything. I mostly just want my head cleared.

I have five kids 7 and under and it's so hard trying to be a good mom when I feel like this

Last edited by Camirae; 09-09-2011 at 11:22 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Can someone who knows what they are doing check my lab results?

I thought you wanted me to break out my calculator....

Reformulation of Armour affected it's absorption. I am not familiar with Acella.... Okay I am now. Love multitasking.

Your TSH is suppressed by the T3 I'm your meds.

I believe given your levels you need an increase in meds. The question is what kind. Currently you are slightly out of balance your T4 and T3 levels should be within 10% of each other.

Have you been checked out for adrenal fatigue? I suspect that the true case is you are not a standard T4:T3 supplement mix. Two of my aunts and I when I was pregnant were this way. We need a combo of T4 and Armour or in your case Acella.

Got any synthroid left? 50 or 25 mcg tablets?

If I were you I would call my MD and let them know i was going to add 25 mcg of T4 in the morning to my thyroid medication regime. I would keep it up for a month and then test my levels to see if they have risen and the T3:T4 ratio has improved. If the T4 level stays about the same and the T3 jacks.... Welcome to the world of Hypoadrenalism.

Hope this helps.
MG

The Following User Says Thank You to mkgbrook For This Useful Post:
Camirae (09-09-2011)
Old 09-09-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
(female)

Camirae HB User

My adrenal kit (saliva) is being sent in Monday. I have to do it this weekend.

That should tell us, right?

Why do the T4 and T3 need to be within 10% of each other? Just curious.

THANK you for helping me. I don't FEEL right and I keep reading levels need to be higher than the halfway mark for most people, and I'm thinking this might be part of my problem.

No, I have no Synthroid left. At least I don't think so.

The Following User Says Thank You to Camirae For This Useful Post:
Kab164 (01-12-2012)
Old 09-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #4
(female)

Camirae HB User

Could I be OVERconverting T4 to T3 by taking too much selenium? Is that a possibility? I eat two brazil nuts a day.

Last edited by Camirae; 09-09-2011 at 12:50 PM.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:43 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Thyroid balance is important because you should only have one active T3 unit in relation to it's more stable less active T4. Also by being out of balance you risk shorting r
Essential systems of needed hormones while flooding other systems. This is as simple as I can state it. Any more depth and it will turn into a lecture in metabolic biochemistry.

The saliva cortisol test when performed correctly at the correct times in a patient not on any steroidal supplements is an adequate measure of you adrenal cortisol cycle.

Selenium in too high of quantities Is toxic to a human system. Hopefully you are testing you levels regularly. Selenium helps the immune system. It does not act as a catalyst or reaction inhibitor for your adrenal glands. It can help Lower the production rate of the antibodies that are killing off your thyroid.

Hope this helped.
MG

Closed Thread