It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2011, 03:32 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Terri880 HB UserTerri880 HB UserTerri880 HB UserTerri880 HB UserTerri880 HB UserTerri880 HB UserTerri880 HB UserTerri880 HB UserTerri880 HB User
Hi Everyone I'm Back and I need help now with thyroid function test.

Well, as some of you know, I had a Partial Thyroidectomy a few months ago. Actually the end of May.

I have had 3 TSH & Free T4 Tests since then and I did not get the results until this last one done in August. The results were as follows:

TSH - 3.290 Range .45-4.50
FT4 - 1.27 Range .82-1.77

The FT4 is what it has always been the entire 4+ years I was watching my thyroid nodule. It is unchanged. However my TSH always ran between 1.6 - 2.3 (lately around 1.7). This is definitely higher.

I would say I still feel good. A little anxiety and breathlessness, but who knows if it's anything other than what I've had for the past 20 years. Muscle aches in my arms a little but I'm also taking Crestor and that's typical of that drug. No weight gain, no fatigue, no unusual hair loss, no other overt symptoms I can think of.

What do you all think. Should I be treated now as my TSH went over 3.0. Should I ask for a FT3 test to see the levels? As some of you know, I DO have a good Endo and I will be seeing him in 10/11. I will also take one more blood test before I see him. Should I wait until then and evaluate the situation?

Your advice would be helpful. Also, keep in mind, I don't know if you recall, but I have tested positive for Hashi Antibodies. I knew there would be a time when after my Partial, I might have to deal with this. I'm anticipating it could get worse and want to nip it in the bud if possible.

I do know about how you've always said FT4 with most people is best in the upper 1/2 to 1/3 (preferably) and mine has always been just at about 1/2, actually just under. And TSH can be an unreliable yard stick.

I know you'll have good advice for me.

Thanks in advance,

Terri

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2011, 05:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Hi Everyone I'm Back and I need help now with thyroid function test.

LuckyTerri;

Well, as some of you know, I had a Partial Thyroidectomy a few months ago. Actually the end of May.

My mother had a partial thyroidectomy that the Endo failed to treat properly that resulted in the regrowth of the removed lobe larger and more diseased than ever. The Endo believed that her remaining hyperT half would be sufficient to provide her system with enough thyroid hormone.

It did this for a time. But working above capacity for 10 years and lack of TSH suppression resulted in a regrowth of a diseased cancerous node. Then end result was a full thyroidectomy 10 years after her partial thyroidectomy. She is what I like to call a closet hypoT. She believes everything a MD tells her and never questions them. I did not even know she had been fighting Graves and Hashimoto's and toxic nodules until she had an abnormal biopsy and had to have her first PT. Why am I telling you this? Because it burns my bottom when I feel a MD is not treating a patient properly post surgery. And this hits a personal bad memory that resulted in me gathering all my thyroid dysfunctional family to circle the wagons and gang up on our MDs across four states. It wasn't pretty. We hypothyroid and hyperthyroid sufferers maybe fatigued, fat, lazy, and depressed... but when we get ticked off we can really throw our hypoT tummy weight around.

So understand that I am taking a personal interest in your care. Okay now let us get down to you and seeing if you are getting the care you deserve.

I have had 3 TSH & Free T4 Tests since then and I did not get the results until this last one done in August. The results were as follows:

THIS IS A CLEAR INDICATOR THAT YOUR REMAINING HALF CAN NOT PERFORM THE WORK OF A WHOLE THYROID. YOU ARE HYPOTHYROID AND NEED THYROID HORMONE SUPPLEMENTATION! Are you getting any? If not and this continues you are at risk for your remaining half turning into a goiter as well and possible regrowth of the removed lobe if it was not completely erradicated. This TSH lab range is from 1990. In 2002 and 2006 this range was refined. A good Endo KNOWS that the optimal TSH is between 0.89-1.1... NOT 3.3! Sorry told you I was going to take this personally.

First this is an insufficient thyroid panel. You need to have your FT3 and FT4 tested together. You should be getting tests at least every four weeks right now. Your first test should have been just DAYS after your surgery to make sure there was no collateral damage to your parathyroids and that your system was doing alright post-PT.

Are you post meno? If so your optimal FT4 and FT3 levels will fall between 40-60%, if not you should be between 60-80% of normal. What is your optimal? THat varies. Any good MD will know it is in optimal range where you no longer experience symptoms. Isn't that a lovely thought? Something to aspire to, eh? Currently your FT4 shows you at 47%. This is not bad for someone post-meno, but even if you are post meno you have room to play. My mom needs to be between 55-60% or she develops hypoT symptoms. You really need your FT3 checked.

The FT4 is what it has always been the entire 4+ years I was watching my thyroid nodule. It is unchanged. However my TSH always ran between 1.6 - 2.3 (lately around 1.7). This is definitely higher.
Post PT you need to keep that TSH at or below 1. To do this you are going to need to take a thyroid supplement. THink about it. Do you truly expect half of your thyroid to do the job as well as a complete healthy thyroid? Is your remaining half completely healthy? Come on I am surprised the Endo did not give you a script of 50 mcg of T4 to start post surgery. My mothers new Endo gave my dad a script for 100 mcgs to start on post TT before she was wheeled in! You may not need more T4, but something has fallen and I bet it is the FT3 that they are not monitoring. 5 - 10 mg of Cytomel may be all that you need.

I would say I still feel good. A little anxiety and breathlessness, but who knows if it's anything other than what I've had for the past 20 years. Muscle aches in my arms a little but I'm also taking Crestor and that's typical of that drug. No weight gain, no fatigue, no unusual hair loss, no other overt symptoms I can think of.

What do you all think. Should I be treated now as my TSH went over 3.0. Should I ask for a FT3 test to see the levels? As some of you know, I DO have a good Endo and I will be seeing him in 10/11. I will also take one more blood test before I see him. Should I wait until then and evaluate the situation?

NO. Contact your Endo now. Make sure that they have a copy of your results and ask for support for your remaining thyroid lobe.

Your advice would be helpful. Also, keep in mind, I don't know if you recall, but I have tested positive for Hashi Antibodies. I knew there would be a time when after my Partial, I might have to deal with this. I'm anticipating it could get worse and want to nip it in the bud if possible.
You definitely need supplementation then. Your antibody levels are not goign to change post PT instead of having a whole thyroid to attack and destroy. Now they have half. It means they will kill it off twice as fast. Supplementing with thyroid hormone will slow the destruction of your remaining thyroid lobe and possible get rid of the muscle aches, anxiety, and rest of your complaints.

I do know about how you've always said FT4 with most people is best in the upper 1/2 to 1/3 (preferably) and mine has always been just at about 1/2, actually just under. And TSH can be an unreliable yard stick.

I hope my advice/opinion helps. I do not want you to suffer as my mom did. She was always Fine. Don't worry it is no big deal. I have managed worse. One shouldn't have to manage! They should be treated optimally and cared for properly. I truly hope that you get the care you deserve. Do not settle for second best treatment!

Sincerely,
MG

The following user gives a hug of support to mkgbrook:
Terri880 (09-09-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to mkgbrook For This Useful Post:
Terri880 (09-09-2011)
Old 09-09-2011, 05:52 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Terri880 HB UserTerri880 HB UserTerri880 HB UserTerri880 HB UserTerri880 HB UserTerri880 HB UserTerri880 HB UserTerri880 HB UserTerri880 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgbrook View Post
LuckyTerri;

My mother had a partial thyroidectomy that the Endo failed to treat properly that resulted in the regrowth of the removed lobe larger and more diseased than ever. The Endo believed that her remaining hyperT half would be sufficient to provide her system with enough thyroid hormone.

It did this for a time. But working above capacity for 10 years and lack of TSH suppression resulted in a regrowth of a diseased cancerous node. Then end result was a full thyroidectomy 10 years after her partial thyroidectomy. She is what I like to call a closet hypoT. She believes everything a MD tells her and never questions them. I did not even know she had been fighting Graves and Hashimoto's and toxic nodules until she had an abnormal biopsy and had to have her first PT. Why am I telling you this? Because it burns my bottom when I feel a MD is not treating a patient properly post surgery. And this hits a personal bad memory that resulted in me gathering all my thyroid dysfunctional family to circle the wagons and gang up on our MDs across four states. It wasn't pretty. We hypothyroid and hyperthyroid sufferers maybe fatigued, fat, lazy, and depressed... but when we get ticked off we can really throw our hypoT tummy weight around.

So understand that I am taking a personal interest in your care. Okay now let us get down to you and seeing if you are getting the care you deserve.

Seriously, this sounds like a horror story. I'm not gonna think the worst and think this is going to happen to me. I've seen people on here with TSH > 5, 6 and more.

THIS IS A CLEAR INDICATOR THAT YOUR REMAINING HALF CAN NOT PERFORM THE WORK OF A WHOLE THYROID. YOU ARE HYPOTHYROID AND NEED THYROID HORMONE SUPPLEMENTATION! Are you getting any? If not and this continues you are at risk for your remaining half turning into a goiter as well and possible regrowth of the removed lobe if it was not completely erradicated. This TSH lab range is from 1990. In 2002 and 2006 this range was refined. A good Endo KNOWS that the optimal TSH is between 0.89-1.1... NOT 3.3! Sorry told you I was going to take this personally.
I am not sure about these numbers. Mine has been 1.6 - 2.3 for years and I've felt pretty darn good. Every one different.

First this is an insufficient thyroid panel. You need to have your FT3 and FT4 tested together. You should be getting tests at least every four weeks right now. Your first test should have been just DAYS after your surgery to make sure there was no collateral damage to your parathyroids and that your system was doing alright post-PT.

I did have my first test days after my partial. And 2 since then. I asked for the results of this last one, and not the others. I could have had the results any time I asked, but I was feeling fine, so I didn't until this last one. I felt just a little off, not bad at all, so I wanted the results. I do have a good Endo. I think I have had the best treatment since this all started 5 years ago. I refuse to believe that my thyroid is gonna grow back or I'm gonna get cancer, when I didn't have cancer to begin with. I will ask for the Endo to include FT3 in my next test along with TSH and T4. My calcium was tested right after my surgery along with my first thyroid tests. About 1 week post op.
Are you post meno? If so your optimal FT4 and FT3 levels will fall between 40-60%, if not you should be between 60-80% of normal. What is your optimal? THat varies. Any good MD will know it is in optimal range where you no longer experience symptoms. Isn't that a lovely thought? Something to aspire to, eh? Currently your FT4 shows you at 47%. This is not bad for someone post-meno, but even if you are post meno you have room to play. My mom needs to be between 55-60% or she develops hypoT symptoms. You really need your FT3 checked.
Yes, I am post meno. I started mid 40's somewhat early. And I don't understand. If my FT4 is fine, and my TSH is a little higher than what it has always been, but not off the charts, how can I be in as bad a condition as you are making it sound?? As I said, I agree, I will have my FT3 checked.
Post PT you need to keep that TSH at or below 1. To do this you are going to need to take a thyroid supplement. THink about it. Do you truly expect half of your thyroid to do the job as well as a complete healthy thyroid? Is your remaining half completely healthy? Come on I am surprised the Endo did not give you a script of 50 mcg of T4 to start post surgery. My mothers new Endo gave my dad a script for 100 mcgs to start on post TT before she was wheeled in! You may not need more T4, but something has fallen and I bet it is the FT3 that they are not monitoring. 5 - 10 mg of Cytomel may be all that you need.

I don't agree with you here. I believe many people that have PT, have normal thyroid function afterwards and do not have to go on medicine and that is what one should hope for. Not to leave the hospital with a prescription. I am not a novice at all of this. I've been coming to this board for months and done extensive research and had a lot of experience with the thyroid in the past 5 years. I would not allow my Doctor to mistreat me in any way. Trust me, I'm a hypochondriac. I will ALWAYS make sure I'm getting the finest treatment. As far as post TT, of course you need meds right away. It is not necessarily so with a PT though.

NO. Contact your Endo now. Make sure that they have a copy of your results and ask for support for your remaining thyroid lobe.

They are the ones that sent me the lab results. I think that if I'm not having symptoms to speak of, especially the most common Hypo ones...(for goodness sake, I'm 50, I'm not gonna be like I was when I was 20), and with my FT4 normal, they are not acting irresponsibly. If I ask to be started on meds and they refuse, that will be a different story, but I want to talk to him first. I think he's an excellent Endo and I trust him. He has not been wrong about my care yet. I left a message for his nurse today and asked them to send me another lab form to include FT3.
You definitely need supplementation then. Your antibody levels are not goign to change post PT instead of having a whole thyroid to attack and destroy. Now they have half. It means they will kill it off twice as fast. Supplementing with thyroid hormone will slow the destruction of your remaining thyroid lobe and possible get rid of the muscle aches, anxiety, and rest of your complaints.
I don't feel bad or have a lot of symptoms. The only symptom that is new are the muscle aches and like I said, I take Crestor. That is a common side effect of Crestor. Otherwise, I have always had a certain amount of anxiety, long before I had any thyroid issues.

I hope my advice/opinion helps. I do not want you to suffer as my mom did. She was always Fine. Don't worry it is no big deal. I have managed worse. One shouldn't have to manage! They should be treated optimally and cared for properly. I truly hope that you get the care you deserve. Do not settle for second best treatment!
You have a bad experience with your mother and I truly appreciate your caring about my situation. But I think because of your mom's experience, you think it's going to be the same for me. My numbers are NOT that bad right now. Especially since I do have Hashi's. I think I have time until next month to get the last blood work before my appt. with my Endo and then he and I can talk about these levels. You weren't around when I first came on here and told everyone what a great Endo I have. Trust me, if I want medication, he will give it to me. The TSH at 3.29 will be enough reason for him to agree to it. It will be up to me. And truthfully, I do not want to take any medicine I don't absolutely HAVE TO take. Please realize that everyone will not have the same experience your mom did. But thank you so much for caring and for the time it took you to respond to me.
Sincerely,
MG

Last edited by Terri880; 09-09-2011 at 06:05 PM.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

I agree if you have bad luck like my mother you are not in danger of having your removed thyroid lobe growing back over night or in a month. I am glad you are confident and comfortable with your Endo. You are lucky to have one that knows how to treat thyroids. I went through five and none could treat me. It blew there minds that I had both Hashimoto's and Graves. I swear constantly hearing we will treat you when your thyroid is dead made me want to toss a few MDs of the roof. I was 28 and wanted a second child I couldn't have a second child in a state of thyroid hormonal turf war. I got my second child 21 months ago. My kids are only 7.2 years apart.

One thing that you have that my mother didn't is an Endo and GP willing to follow up on your thyroid care. My mom was cut loose and they only tested her TSH once a year. No Endo visits nothing.

The only thing that could really cause the shift in your TSH with your FT4 staying in pre-PT state is a decrease in T3 levels. Getting your blood work drawn and having it back before you visit your Endo next is a good idea as well. That way you can talk the results over with him.

Good luck. Wish you the best.
Sincerely,
MG

The Following User Says Thank You to mkgbrook For This Useful Post:
Terri880 (09-10-2011)
Old 09-10-2011, 06:47 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
I agree if you have bad luck like my mother you are not in danger of having your removed thyroid lobe growing back over night or in a month. I am glad you are confident and comfortable with your Endo. You are lucky to have one that knows how to treat thyroids. I went through five and none could treat me. It blew there minds that I had both Hashimoto's and Graves. I swear constantly hearing we will treat you when your thyroid is dead made me want to toss a few MDs of the roof. I was 28 and wanted a second child I couldn't have a second child in a state of thyroid hormonal turf war. I got my second child 21 months ago. My kids are only 7.2 years apart.

One thing that you have that my mother didn't is an Endo and GP willing to follow up on your thyroid care. My mom was cut loose and they only tested her TSH once a year. No Endo visits nothing.

The only thing that could really cause the shift in your TSH with your FT4 staying in pre-PT state is a decrease in T3 levels. Getting your blood work drawn and having it back before you visit your Endo next is a good idea as well. That way you can talk the results over with him.

Good luck. Wish you the best.
Sincerely,
MG

MG....thank you so much for this. Yes, I will definitely get the FT3 tested. I agree with you. That is the only reason I think my TSH would have shot up like that too. I think what you said in your last paragraph for me is a good plan. Especially since I don't feel bad at all. Really not much has changed in the way I feel. Just a little odd is all.

I'm so glad you finally got treated to the point where you could have your second child. I'm very happy for you. And the age difference is not bad at all. You were proactive and I'm glad you didn't play on the sidelines when it came to your care or that of your family's. Trust that I'm just like you. I'm not gonna sit back and wait for my situation to worsen before I handle it.

Thank you so much for your effort and your time in your responses. I appreciate hearing about your experiences.

Terri

Old 09-11-2011, 06:06 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

I think if you keep your tsh too high, it's really possible the second side would grow a nodule. You should talk to the endo. about preventing overgrowth on the other side as a tactic to prevent problems in the future.

The Following User Says Thank You to Reece For This Useful Post:
Terri880 (09-11-2011)
Old 09-11-2011, 06:21 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
I think if you keep your tsh too high, it's really possible the second side would grow a nodule. You should talk to the endo. about preventing overgrowth on the other side as a tactic to prevent problems in the future.
Thanks Reece. I was wondering where the Vets of this board were.

I agree with you. Do you think there's a possibility that it will regulate and it's just spazzing out because I had a Partial 4 months ago? Or do you think the TSH will continue to rise if left untreated? And is TSH at 3.29 at a level where it must be treated now?? I HATE with a passion the thought of having to take another med. I knew this could and probably would happen, but not this soon. You make a good point about the other side though because at the time I had this surgery, I had a tiny .7 cm nodule already on the other side. While I think the chances are any nodules would be benign as the dominant was when removed (and I have tested positive for Hashi's), I still want to avoid a second surgery if possible. If treating this now will increase my chances of saving the half I still have, I'll treat it. With my TSH at 3.29 and normal FT4, is it understandable that I wouldn't feel particularly different and still feel good for the most part?

Last edited by Terri880; 09-11-2011 at 06:22 AM.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:30 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

My mom and I visited her Endo on Friday. I was a cell phone pocket buddy. I asked her Endo what the standard treatment for a PT patient should be. In his opinion half a thyroid is not made to handle a full thyroids demand. BUT inthe case of a retained hyperthyroid lobe it may be able to handle demands for a time before collapsing due to over use. A remaining normal functioning lobe or hypoT lobe needs to be supported otherwise it will be insufficient to meet the needs of a patient and eventually collapse fro
over use. I also asked how a Hashimoto's PT should be treated. Hashimoto's will stress the remaining lobe and speed collapse with out supplementation. My MD SIL concurs with his advice.

So I second Midwest in thinking that you will probably need to support your remaining thyroid lobe. 4 months is PLENTY of time for your body to stabilize post surgery. By 8 weeks you should have stabilized in hormone levels. Now 8 weeks after that your body is showing you your remaining lobe can not meet your needs.

I hope that things hold steady until you can see your Endo in a few weeks. Good luck.

MG

Old 09-11-2011, 10:50 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
My mom and I visited her Endo on Friday. I was a cell phone pocket buddy. I asked her Endo what the standard treatment for a PT patient should be. In his opinion half a thyroid is not made to handle a full thyroids demand. BUT inthe case of a retained hyperthyroid lobe it may be able to handle demands for a time before collapsing due to over use. A remaining normal functioning lobe or hypoT lobe needs to be supported otherwise it will be insufficient to meet the needs of a patient and eventually collapse fro
over use. I also asked how a Hashimoto's PT should be treated. Hashimoto's will stress the remaining lobe and speed collapse with out supplementation. My MD SIL concurs with his advice.

So I second Midwest in thinking that you will probably need to support your remaining thyroid lobe. 4 months is PLENTY of time for your body to stabilize post surgery. By 8 weeks you should have stabilized in hormone levels. Now 8 weeks after that your body is showing you your remaining lobe can not meet your needs.

I hope that things hold steady until you can see your Endo in a few weeks. Good luck.

MG

Thank you MG for asking this stuff. I tend to agree with you that it's not working as well anymore and I will most likely need at least a small dose of something to help return it to normal levels. I have, however, read many articles that suggest many people can have completely normal levels with one side of a thyroid so I don't necessarily agree with your Mom's Endo or your doc. My doc also believes that 1/2 can do the work of the entire thyroid, but that eventually, in my case because of the Hashi's, it probably will not work.

I also hope that nothing changes in the next month. Because I'll be seeing him then.

Thanks again so much!!!

Old 09-22-2011, 03:38 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Update. I have an appt. with Endo on 10/5 and just finished my last blood test.

TSH same at about 3.2
FT4 same at about 1.2

But I got FT3 tested this time...they added it to the blood work form and it came back 3.3 I believe (unfortunately, I don't have the reference range yet) but my Endo's office said it's fine. They did say that they want the TSH down a bit but want my blood tested one more time before my appt. and then my Endo and I would talk about the next step. Maybe meds???? I guess, maybe, but I hope not just yet since my FT4 and FT3 are both o.k. It's kind of strange that my TSH is the only thing that's a bit high. I know my FT4 could be a little higher, but it's not that far off. Hum...still feeling well. Not sure what I am gonna do but I think I'll let my Endo guide me. As long as I know as half my thyroid is producing some hormone, even if it's not the absolute optimum, I know I'm not in danger at least with these levels.

Any thoughts or advice?

Old 09-30-2011, 06:31 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyTerri View Post
Update. I have an appt. with Endo on 10/5 and just finished my last blood test.

TSH same at about 3.2
FT4 same at about 1.2

But I got FT3 tested this time...they added it to the blood work form and it came back 3.3 I believe (unfortunately, I don't have the reference range yet) but my Endo's office said it's fine. They did say that they want the TSH down a bit but want my blood tested one more time before my appt. and then my Endo and I would talk about the next step. Maybe meds???? I guess, maybe, but I hope not just yet since my FT4 and FT3 are both o.k. It's kind of strange that my TSH is the only thing that's a bit high. I know my FT4 could be a little higher, but it's not that far off. Hum...still feeling well. Not sure what I am gonna do but I think I'll let my Endo guide me. As long as I know as half my thyroid is producing some hormone, even if it's not the absolute optimum, I know I'm not in danger at least with these levels.

Any thoughts or advice?

My FT3 came back fine. It was 3.3 with a range of something like 2.2 - 4.2. So I think my FT3 & FT4 are o.k. and my TSH at 3.2 is a bit high. But it hasn't changed in the past 3 blood tests. I see Endo on Wednesday and am repeating bloodwork on Monday so he'll be able to see any trends. If it stays the way it is, I'm going to try to avoid meds for now.

Does anyone see a problem with that plan? I feel well and some of the symptoms I thought might have been related, i.e. muscle aches, seem to have dissipated. I also work out with weights (ha ha....could be the reason for the muscle aches since they are where I'm working out with the weights).

Any opinions would be appreciated. I'd like to stay off meds as long as possible.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:58 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Went to Endo yesterday and WE (I say that emphatically because we have always worked together on my care) decided that I would NOT take meds yet. However, as I've always known, when he decides it's time to do something, I will listen to him. It was the same with watching my nodule. He said it was time to remove it and I did after 4+ years.

My last group of labs came back something like this:

TSH - 3.59 Range .45 - 4.50
FT4 - 1.2 Range .8 - 1.77
FT3 - 3.1 Range 2.2 (?) - 4.4

Because of the fact that FT3 and FT4 are o.k. still and I still feel fine, we are holding off on meds until we redo the blood tests and do an ultrasound (for the other side of my thyroid) at end of November. At that time he said that if my TSH is over 4 or if the half of my thyroid that remains enlarges because it's trying to do the job of both sides and is failing, at that point he will treat me with 25 grams (or whatever...the lowest dose) of synthroid or levoxyl (excuse the spelling ).

I think this is a good plan. What do you think??

Old 10-06-2011, 07:45 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lucky,

Sounds like a good plan. The fact that he wants to perform a US in addition to the blood work gets two thumbs up from me. Sound like you have a great MD partner in care for your thyroid. I wish more were that thorough. Initial thyroid supplementation dose is 25-50 mcgs of T4 according to the many MDs now treating me, my mom, and my four aunts, and my cousin... I don't think I missed anyone.

I think my thyroid is growing again. I am going to have to call my ENT and arrange another scan and possible FNA. It has been over a year, but the last three years my nodule and thyroid were stable. We shall see. Most of the females in my family have to get their thyroids yanked. Wouldn't want to break the family tradition!

I hope things continue to hold steady for you!
Sincerely,
MG

Old 10-06-2011, 07:52 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Mkg, thanks for the reply. I agree, I got lucky in the Endo department, that's for sure. I wish the best for you and if you do have to get it yanked, I can tell you the surgery is not that bad. Of course, I only had a partial, but I can't help but think if you need a Total, it's not that much difference except the obvious dependency on meds immediately. But you're already on them anyway. My doc said if I had a total, I would have been on 50 but he'd start me on 25 based on my circumstances, still having 1/2 a thyroid and feeling well still. He said if I go hyper because of too much meds, he'd know it before me based on the blood tests and they could adjust it before I got hyper symptoms. I love the guy and I really wish more people had Endo's like mine.

Good luck with your thyroid health. I wish you nothing but the best!!!

Closed Thread