It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #1
(female)

mattie75 HB User
Need help again

Well I had not posted in a long while but am having major problems again. Lets just say things seemed to settle down for a while except for a couple trips to the ER and sporadic anxiety.
The trip to the ER was for palpitations that just would not stop. Battery of tests and the only thing was a low Free t4 .73 (.80-1.5). My TSH was 2.78 which was high for me. The next day I had a blood pressure spike and what I would call a panic attack. Took beta blocker and blood pressure went down and seemed to be better, except that whole week I was over the top anxious. Worst week of my life. Seemed like non-stop panic attack. I could not work for a couple days and actually ran a little fever, sweating, diarrhea, and seemed very hyper. When this went away I settled down and had no major problems for a while and have just sort of learned to live with it. Did I mention I am diagnosed but untreated Hashimoto's. I also have Grave's antibodies.

Well here I am several months later with anxiety and depression - waking early with panic feelings, but anxiety lasts all day. My neck is sore and hair is falling out. Seems like I have stabbing pains in neck area - I do have a nodule. Am going back to endo, by way of a psychiatrist soon. I am ready to demand a trial of thyroid hormone. Any insight appreciated. My levels always appear "normal", but antibodies always high. I am at the end of my frayed rope. This is now affecting all areas of my life - marriage, family, and job. I don't know what to do. I am a mess!

Mattieann

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2011, 02:07 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Eir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB User
Re: Need help again

Hi mattie,

First of all, *hugs*. I am sorry you are having to go through this.

Your free T4 is way too low, and your TSH too high (I know you already know this). Especially with Hashi's, it's not surprising you're having anxiety problems. I certainly do, even though some would say "Oh, you don't have anxiety with hypo, that's hyper." Well they can kiss it, LOL.

Which antibodies indicate Graves? I do think, although I don't know your history, that you definitely need to increase your free T4 levels significantly. Have you had your free T3 tested? I know that temporary use of Ativan or other benzodiazepines has helped me with periods of anxiety, but it's the source of the problem that needs to be addressed to really feel well, and you're definitely hypo.

Sending good thoughts your way, and I hope you feel much better very soon.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
(female)

mattie75 HB User

Thanks. I hope to get help soon. It is so frustrating when doctors only look at TSH. I have been suffering with this for years. The last 5-6 have been a nightmare. I just keep praying that the thing will hurry up and just die. That is the only way you seem to get care.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:05 PM   #4
(female)

mattie75 HB User

Sorry I did not answer your question. TSI antibodies are for Graves. I have them all. RIght now I do take something for the anxiety and have my Motrin around to take care of some of the pain and inflammation. And I agree, if one more endo/dr tells me Hashi's does not cause anxiety....

Old 09-10-2011, 06:58 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Eir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB User

When you think of how our bodies depend on those thyroid hormones, I wouldn't discount any symptoms! Also, anxiety goes right along with depression for me, so it's pretty much a given for a lot of people.

I don't think a TSI test was an option for me...I had TPO (negative), TGab (high), and TRab (in range). Even though my TPO was negative (which I think is the more common one for Hashi's) it was the TG that gave the diagnosis.

Were you hyperthyroid initially, and they are waiting until your thyroid is underactive (which it is, I don't know how your fT4 result can't yell this in their faces)? I wonder if you even went to a mediclinic or other doctor, if you could get a trial of meds? It certainly isn't going to make you hyper at a low dose to begin with, what are they so afraid of?

Old 09-11-2011, 05:27 AM   #6
(female)

mattie75 HB User

Going to call primary care doctor in the am. Did not sleep well last night at all. Anxiety in my stomach, feels like adrenaline. I think it is just a low thyroid with adrenaline trying to run my body (Just my opinion). Feel like death, cold all day yesterday, constipated, eyes sore, and on and on. Would like to sleep! I agree though, 25 mg of synthroid or my old 5 mcg of cytomel would not be a big deal unless I am obviously hyper which apparently I have not been in a while. Will not see endo until the end of the month.
Mattieann

Closed Thread