It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Eir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB User
Is this a common pattern with thyroid treatment?

Since I first started thyroid meds, I've had the same *pattern* happen with symptoms, med increases, etc. It goes like this:

1. Feel like crap (hypo symptoms)
2. Small dose increase
3. Adjustment period
4. Feel better, like myself again
5. Symptoms start creeping back
6. Repeat

I've been dealing with this, with minor variations, for 10 months. I am sensitive to dose increases, so I understand it takes awhile. But it is frustrating, to say the least, to think that finally *this is it! I'm at a good level!* and then crash again.

Is this just how it goes until you hit the right level for your body?

Old 09-10-2011, 04:30 PM   #2
(female)

Camirae HB User
Re: Is this a common pattern with thyroid treatment?

That's how it seems for me. It's a long process.

Hang in there.

Last edited by Camirae; 09-10-2011 at 04:31 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Camirae:
Eir33 (09-10-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2011, 04:43 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Eir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB User

Thanks, Camirae, *process* sure is the right word....gah.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:40 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Yes. That is the standard pattern until you titrate to equilibrium. Think of it this way you are hypoT and need more thyroid hormone to meet your body's functional needs. In a hypoT state your body literally shuts down or powers down non-essential functions. So when you increase your dose the operating systems are fueled and your body says HEY ! WE HAVE MORE! So it opens up previously neglected systems. When this happens you feel better for between 1-2 weeks. But after a time that small dose isn't enough to meet those systems demands and those the excess can not cover are put on hold once more resulting in the return of your hypoT symptoms. The intensity of returning symptoms will decrease until they disappear at your optimal levels.

Hope this helped.
MG

The Following User Says Thank You to mkgbrook For This Useful Post:
Eir33 (09-11-2011)
Old 09-11-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
(female)

Melinda666 HB User

I have been on Levothyrozxine for 5 weeks. Over all I have been feeling better slowly. But at the same time I am pushing my endo to run a full panel on me every month. I want to make double sure there is nothing else going on. I am currently taking 75mcgs and I think it dose get better. I feel very hyper in the morning when I make my medication, I am 31 none smoker i eat very healthy and I workout daily. I try to walk at least 3-5 miles a day. Don't know if this matters but my periods are horrible. To say the least. I feel like I have the flu and my body is so worn down. I don"t know if thats normal. I wish you the best of luck and stick with it and dont be afraid to ask your doc for further tests, endos can sometimes be jerks but remember something you pay them they do no pay You! Good luck

Old 09-11-2011, 11:07 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Thanks guys. Mkg that's a good way of explaining it. It's just so discouraging!

Old 09-11-2011, 03:59 PM   #7
(female)

CyberGodess HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda666 View Post
I have been on Levothyrozxine for 5 weeks. Over all I have been feeling better slowly. But at the same time I am pushing my endo to run a full panel on me every month. I want to make double sure there is nothing else going on. I am currently taking 75mcgs and I think it dose get better. I feel very hyper in the morning when I make my medication, I am 31 none smoker i eat very healthy and I workout daily. I try to walk at least 3-5 miles a day. Don't know if this matters but my periods are horrible. To say the least. I feel like I have the flu and my body is so worn down. I don"t know if thats normal. I wish you the best of luck and stick with it and dont be afraid to ask your doc for further tests, endos can sometimes be jerks but remember something you pay them they do no pay You! Good luck
It takes six weeks for synthetic T4 hormones to settle down in your system with each dosage increase, therefore you are wasting money on labs/doctor visits by having them done too frequently.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:11 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Actually it only takes 14 days for a new dose to reach a state of equilibrium in your system. Symptoms to that new dosage take an additional 2-4 weeks to resolve. Sox weeks is a conservative estimate.

Pregnant hypoTs are tested every 2 weeks in the first and second trimesters until they are stable if gooD MD knows what they are doing. Getting your blood work
Tested every four weeks is perfectly acceptable if you have not reached your optimal level yet. Once at an optimal state you can go back to testing quarterly or if you have hypoT/hyperT symptoms arise and stay for more than your period or an illness.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 09-11-2011, 04:16 PM   #9
(female)

CyberGodess HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eir33 View Post
Since I first started thyroid meds, I've had the same *pattern* happen with symptoms, med increases, etc. It goes like this:

1. Feel like crap (hypo symptoms)
2. Small dose increase
3. Adjustment period
4. Feel better, like myself again
5. Symptoms start creeping back
6. Repeat

I've been dealing with this, with minor variations, for 10 months. I am sensitive to dose increases, so I understand it takes awhile. But it is frustrating, to say the least, to think that finally *this is it! I'm at a good level!* and then crash again.

Is this just how it goes until you hit the right level for your body?
This is exactly how it works as described in the book written by Richard L. Shames, M.D, and Karilee Halo Shames, R.N., "Thyroid Power." I purchased this book and read it then gave it to my doctor to read which he did and then I was able to get well.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:23 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

That's one book I actually haven't read, maybe I'll give it a go.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #11
(female)

Melinda666 HB User

Well maybe that's how you look at it. But I on the other hand pay for my health insurance and have ever right to ask for whatever tests i feel needs to be done! This is my HEALTH not something I can return to walmart if things don't work out! Further more it's called practicing medicine for a reason! Just like I can practice playing the guitar no one is perfect at it! So i will go with what my gut is telling me.

Closed Thread