It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2011, 07:38 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Eir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB User
Eye appointment - all is good!

I had my first eye exam today since being diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Told the opthalmologist about the diagnosis and the antibodies that are outta whack, but fortunately it looks like all is well (higher risk of eye/vision problems with thyroid issues). She did a couple of extra tests and there haven't been any changes since my last appointment 2 years ago.

It was nice to hear that all is well, but I just wanted to remind everyone to keep on top of your eye health - it's so important!

Old 09-13-2011, 04:55 AM   #2
(male)

martyn413 HB User
Re: Eye appointment - all is good!

Before I was diagnosed as hypo, i had a routine eye test and she found something on my eye. I thought it was because of a car accident i had the previous year.

I was referred to the hospital and they gave me the all clear. I'm wondering if it's hypo related now after reading your post.

Regards,
Martyn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2011, 06:06 AM   #3
(female)

lillybloom HB User

Just wondering what specific eye problems people with Hypo are more prone to? Anything with our retinas?

Old 09-13-2011, 12:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

I am glad that you got some good news. Every tidbit helps on our thyroid roller coaster. I will continue to wish you the best of luck.

Sincerely,
MG

The Following User Says Thank You to mkgbrook For This Useful Post:
Eir33 (09-13-2011)
Old 09-13-2011, 12:37 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Eir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB User

Lillybloom,

If you look up thyroid eye disease (TED), thyroid ophthalmopathy, or Graves' ophthalmopathy, it will give you a lot of information. I believe most eye problems are Graves related, but Hashi's can have some as well. I haven't found anything specific on retinal problems, they mostly talk about corneal or optic nerve symptoms, or the muscle behind the eye changing and causing a *bulging* eye look. <-- if you find yourself looking like that a lot, see your doc. LOL!

I think by far the most common problem is dry eyes, however, which is so common anyway, for a variety of reasons (looking at computer screens too long, dry air, etc.) My doc recommended a sterile eye drop if I feel I need it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Eir33 For This Useful Post:
lillybloom (09-13-2011)
Old 09-13-2011, 01:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Eir33,

Correct! Both Graves and HASHIs can result in thyroid eye disease. I had antibody levels peak at over 10,000. At this time my MD refused to treat me despite having Hashimoto's and GrAves antibodies confirming a complex case of thyroid AITD.

My eye issues were vision loss during unpredictable hormone triggered migraines, enlarged optic nerve and antibody attack of the optic nerve. Eye swelling, increased eye pressure, and distortion of my eye ball shape. There are many other issuesmthat can arise. I was lucky to find a nueroopthamologist that knew how to treat thyroid eye disease. With in a month of my thyroid actually being treated most of my eye symptoms went away. The key with thyroid eye disease is to catch it, follow it, and treat it early. Lack if treatment can result in permanent damage to your vision and eyes.

Closed Thread