It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2011, 04:03 AM   #1
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 7
amelie82 HB User
unusual symptom - is it thyroid-related?

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone here has ever experienced a warm sensation down their leg..? It's sort of like having hot water poured down your leg, or sitting in a car with seat warmers. Lasts only a few seconds and then goes away.

This is a new symptom for me and has been happening for the last three days. Not sure if it is thyroid-related though, so any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

 
Old 09-13-2011, 08:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 12,172
midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: unusual symptom - is it thyroid-related?

I don't think it is. That's a sign of a pinched nerve, probably sciatica from a displaced vertebra. You might want to consult a chiropractor, who can be most helpful with that kind of problem.

 
The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
amelie82 (09-13-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 09-13-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oak Ridge
Posts: 6,749
mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: unusual symptom - is it thyroid-related?

Are you newly diagnosed hypoT? Have you recently started thyroid meds? Looking back at my symptom journals I used to be cold all the time. In my first month of meds I described body flushing sensations where my feet, legs, and hands to my elbows. If you have been a long term cold blooded hypoT, the sensation of having enough thyroid hormone to warm your extremities is odd.

If you have had back issues checking with a chiropractor is a good idea as well.
MG
__________________
If we learn by our mistakes, I am working on one hell of an education.

 
The Following User Says Thank You to mkgbrook For This Useful Post:
amelie82 (09-13-2011)
Old 09-13-2011, 04:59 PM   #4
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 7
amelie82 HB User
Re: unusual symptom - is it thyroid-related?

Thanks for your posts. I haven't been diagnosed with a thyroid disorder as my blood work is normal (TSH 0.95). I'm only looking into possible thyroid problems as I have a complex nodule (about 20 x 30mm) and a family history of thyroid problems (though what they are specifically, I'm not sure as they live OS), on top of which about a year ago I went through a period where I lost more than 10% of my body weight in less than 3 months, had tachycardia, palpitations, heart flutters, anxiety, some sort of hypoglycemic-like episode, night fevers (but no sweating) and nystagmus (involuntary eye jerking), followed by recurrent blepharitis. I put it down to stress and sleep deprivation at the time as I was going through a marriage breakdown as well as starting a new course at uni.

Two and a half years ago, another doctor also found I had a heart murmur, after I presented with palpitations and tachycardia following a blood donation. They couldn't work out why I had a heart murmur but said I was anaemic.

I don't know, I guess it could be other things but I've been experiencing palpitations and heart flutters intermittently for years now, I'm often exhausted and lack energy, and I'm always hungry after eating (even if i wait an hour after a meal) as well as often quite thirsty. And it hasn't been until more recently that I've gained some weight, and would now be considered to be more in the "healthy" range, as I was always on the thinner side before.

Anyway, as for the possible pinched nerve - I don't really have any back pain, and the sensation is more on the inner front of my right knee, it's pain-free. I've had sciatica before, mostly intense sharp pains originating in either of my butt cheeks, when coughing or sneezing very hard. This warmth though, could it be related to blood flow maybe?

 
Old 09-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oak Ridge
Posts: 6,749
mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: unusual symptom - is it thyroid-related?

Amelia,

If you truly want to rule out or confirm thyroid issues you need to monitor more than your TSH. A family history of thyroid issues can point to an autoimmune source like Hashimoto's or Graves or both. Yeah that is possible.

I recommend insisting on getting your MD to order the following tests:
FREE T3
FREE T4
TSH 3rd Generation
TPOAB
TGAB
TSI
TRAB

Do you have extreme salt or sweet cravings? Do you have unusually dark skin coloring even where the sun don't shine? Just wondering about your adrenal health. Have you had an iodine uptake to see if your nodule is hyperT? I am not leaning toward adrenal at this time. It smacks of early Hashimoto's in my opinion. The antibody tests I listed above stand an 85% chance of confirming the presence of Hashimoto's. There is a 15% chance of a false negative result. Ever have your nodule biopsied? The unique tissue destruction due to Hashimoto's is the only 100% diagnostic technique. However in looking at a biopsy result your sample has to come from an attacked region or it can be missed.

So for your own peace of mind you are going to need to rule the thyroid out. To do this your MD is going to have to perform a more thorough thyroid function panel.

Sincerely,
MG
__________________
If we learn by our mistakes, I am working on one hell of an education.

 
The Following User Says Thank You to mkgbrook For This Useful Post:
amelie82 (09-14-2011)
Old 09-14-2011, 12:34 AM   #6
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 7
amelie82 HB User
Re: unusual symptom - is it thyroid-related?

Thanks so much for your advice MG.

I saw an ENT surgeon recently after my biopsy results came back benign. He didn't think my symptoms from a year ago were related to the thyroid as my TSH level was normal. But - if the blood test was taken months later, and not at the time of my symptoms, would this mean he could have come to the wrong conclusion? Or do your TSH levels generally not fluctuate much?

The ENT has referred me on to an endocrinologist nevertheless to get a repeat biopsy, as like you said, the first one may have missed something. Have never had an iodine test.

Re: family history, I don't know much other than the fact that my aunty (dad's younger sister) had a growth on her thyroid when she was younger, which was removed, but grew back years later and had to be removed again. I've no idea if it was autoimmune, or iodine deficiency (which could be possible maybe, as she lives in VN).

I generally crave for sweet food, but always assumed that to be related to PMS and deficiency in manganese or magnesium (not sure which one).

And where my skin isn't exposed to the sun, it actually isn't much lighter than other parts of my body, but then that could be due to genetics. Some of my relatives are darker skinned. My sister is fairer than I am, if that helps.

I don't know if these things are relevant, but I started greying prematurely (about 13yo), my uncles and aunties on Mum's side have a disorder where they lose pigmentation in their skin, and I've been told by the doctors that I have inherited alpha thalassemia trait (which could potentially explain the cold hands and feet, fatigue, dizziness and lightheadness, chest pains and random shooting pains in my body).

Anyway, I see the endo in about a month and I will ask him to get those tests you recommended, if you think that's the best thing to do at this stage. I just want to know for sure - doesn't seem normal to have so many symptoms for no reason.

Thanks again.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Weird symptom-poss. Cancer dhurlbert3 Thyroid Disorders 6 08-16-2010 06:21 PM
Hyperthyroid symptom?? diddy Thyroid Disorders 3 02-26-2009 03:08 PM
Unusual weight gain & fatigue..thyroid? Kris03 Thyroid Disorders 5 04-21-2008 11:56 AM
Lab and Skin Symptom Questions m. m. Thyroid Disorders 6 02-06-2007 10:39 AM
Any of you have lightheadedness as only symptom? manchak99 Thyroid Disorders 4 12-13-2005 09:47 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Armour
Cytomel
Levothroid
Levoxyl
Potassium
  Synthroid
Tapazole
Unithroid
Xanax
Zoloft




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



sammy64 (666), midwest1 (618), FinnMaid (302), Reece (220), lisa789 (196), Tree Frog (80), mkgbrook (72), cd37 (56), Bran'sNana (44), ladybud (41)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1136), MSJayhawk (941), Apollo123 (856), janewhite1 (823), Titchou (771), Gabriel (743), ladybud (667), sammy64 (666), midwest1 (655), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:31 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.com™
Copyright and Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!