It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2011, 09:44 PM   #1
(female)

suzan130 HB User
thyroid nodule

Hello, I am a newbie here. I am hoping that someone can help me interpret the results of my ultrasound. Here's what it says:

"Right lobe: two nodules identified within the right lobe. Smaller one in the midportion measures 7 x 5 x 4 mm and larger solid lesion measures 10 x 7 x 6 mm.

Left lobe: solid, large heterogeneous nodule in the inferior and midportion of the left lobe measures 6.2 x 5.5 x 3.1. A smaller solid nodule in the superior pole measures 7 x 8 x 6 mm.

Lymph nodes: multiple lymph nodes with central fatty helium identified along bilateral aspects of the neck, largest on the right side measuring 2 x 1.4 x 0.7 cm and on the left side measuring 1.2 x 1.1. 0.5 cm."

Is "solid" and "heterogeneous" indicative of cancer? Is the size of my lymph nodes unusual? I've had two fine needle biopsies, both were "inconclusive."

Old 10-01-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: thyroid nodule

Sounds like you have a multinodular goiter---a lumpy bumpy enlarged thyroid. Since the needle biopsy was inconclusive, I would consider, if you aren't on thyroid meds, getting on it and rechecking in a few months, and determining if you can re-biopsy.

I am more concerned about the lymph nodes---have they been biopsied? What have they said about those? Have they done blood work? Have you had a chest x ray? They might not be related to the thyroid---or they might be.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2011, 09:39 AM   #3
(female)

suzan130 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Sounds like you have a multinodular goiter---a lumpy bumpy enlarged thyroid. Since the needle biopsy was inconclusive, I would consider, if you aren't on thyroid meds, getting on it and rechecking in a few months, and determining if you can re-biopsy.

I am more concerned about the lymph nodes---have they been biopsied? What have they said about those? Have they done blood work? Have you had a chest x ray? They might not be related to the thyroid---or they might be.
Thanks for answering. My dr. is concerned about the large nodule (the one that measures 6.2 by 3.3 cm). Looking at the ultransound, she said it looked
"suspicious." The lymph glands have not been biopsied. The doctors recommendation was to remove the big nodule and biopsy it for cancer. Is it possible to have cancer that is not detected by the fine needle biopsy?

Old 10-02-2011, 09:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Yes, a needle biopsy only gets a sample of cells, not all, so in larger nodules, it's not going to give you enough information.

Oh, I thought the other lobe measured 6cm. If it's a nodule that measures so large---6cm, you need to see some surgeons and get that out. It's too large to give enough info. and will be constricting your neck and can cause breathing and speaking issues.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:09 AM   #5
(female)

suzan130 HB User

Yes, it is a nodule that measures 6.3 x 3.3 cm.! It is growing beneath my collarbone so I can't see or feel it. I haven't noticed symptoms, but its size plus the enlarged lymph nodes has me really worried! My dr. urged me to have surgery but at that appointment (about 10 days ago) I was really taken aback and did not want to commit because I am really busy at work. I have a follow up appointment in early November. Do you think a wait of a couple of weeks will make any difference in my prognosis?

Old 10-02-2011, 12:11 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

If you go see a surgeon, you aren't going to have surgery that day or anything, it's not an emergency, but if you can get to the surgeon, just to evaluate and determine when. I think it's worth it to get started---that thing is really in a bad place and you need a top level surgeon and care. Better sooner rather than later----not emergency, but you really need to take care of this.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:12 PM   #7
(female)

suzan130 HB User

Thanks. I do have a good doctor, I think--at least she is affiliated with a very good university hospital that is (conveniently) only blocks from where I live. The only symptom I have is a slight difficulty swallowing once in a while.

Closed Thread