It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2011, 06:16 AM  
(female)

lopso HB User
Smile Thyroid and Birth Control Pills

I recently stopped taking birth control pills (2 weeks ago) after I took them for 10 years. I had been taking Yaz for several years and my doctor switched me to Loestrin FE the last month of my birth control career. Decided to stop completely after one month of taking them. I am currently taking 137 m of Synthroid every day as well. I have been feeling very fatigued and lathargic over the last couple of months and wanted to have my thyroid levels checked to see if there was a difference after stopping my birth control pills. I was startled to find that my thyroid levels were too high granted I thought by losing the hormones from birth control pills......my thyroid levels would be low. Now the doctor has reduced my medication and I am afraid I am going to be dead tired all the time. I get confused how the thyroid levels are determined (a higher number means it's low and a lower number indicated high thyroid?)

Old 10-08-2011, 08:12 AM  
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
Re: Thyroid and Birth Control Pills

Saying your levels are "high" and "low" is confusing to me too - if your freeTs (FT4 and FT3) are high that means hyperthyroidism, if your TSH is high that means hypothyroidism. When you were on birth contol pill it was more likely to need more thyroid hormone as estrogen works "against it", when you quit the pill it is very possible to go a bit hyperT (it happened to me too - it was confusing and I was sure I was hypoT when actually I ended up needing a slightly lower dose). You can post your results here for us to look at. Your dose was reduced by how much?

Last edited by FinnMaid; 10-08-2011 at 08:14 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2011, 08:42 AM  
(female)

lopso HB User

I went from a 5.33 TSH and an additional half pill (137 mg) every Sunday to a most recent blood test (after no more birth control) of .15 TSH. Endocrinologist is taking me off the half pill every Sunday to a regular 137 mg pill every day. Your information was valuable to me and thank you for replying.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:08 AM  
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

That sounds pretty good. That TSH of 5.33 tells us you have been clearly undermedicated Ask your doc to pay attention to your free thyroid levels too, not just TSH which very often needs to be around 1.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:42 AM  
(female)

lopso HB User

My current T-4 level is 10.9 and T-Uptake is 30.2 and T-7 is 3.29. Of course, these were taken before he elected to take me off the every Sunday half extra pill of 137 mg Synthroid.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:35 AM  
Facilitator
(female)

It would be better if you had those freeTs tested which would give you the most accurate results. If your doc refuses to take these right tests (and thinks TSH over 5 is fine on medication) IMHO he's not the best doc to treat thyroid issues.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 10-08-2011 at 10:47 AM.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:49 AM  
(female)

lopso HB User

Perhaps I was not clear earlier. My TSH level prior to being off birth control pills was over 5. Now that I am off birth control, I had them retested and now my TSH levels are at .15

Old 10-08-2011, 10:53 AM  
Facilitator
(female)

When on birth control you would have needed a higher dose of levothyroxine (as indicated by the high TSH, by "medication" I meant thyroid meds), now that you're off the birth control pill you may need a smaller dose of levothyroxine. Those freeTs would tell you how much of your actual thyroid hormones (T4 and T3) is available for use.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 10-08-2011 at 10:56 AM.