It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2011, 11:57 AM   #1
(female)

timschicksnz96 HB User
Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies Test >1000

Hello…I am hoping that someone might be able to help me answer a few questions regarding some recent Thyroid tests I have had done.

I just got my test results this weekend and am trying to figure out exactly what they mean and if they could possibly have anything to do with any of my other medical symptoms.

Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies Test
Results: >1000
Range: <35

T3, Total
Results: 85
Range: 76-181

Free T4
Result: 0.37
Range: 0.6-1.6

TSH
Result: 3.08
Range: 0.34-4.82
**Please note that this was tested at 5.82 one month ago – Which was the cause for the Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies Test

A little more health history on me: I have always had problems regulating my weight (I lose 15-20 pounds without trying) and I am already very thin. I am 5’7” and I currently weight 108 pounds.

I have no energy what-so-ever and I have actually started to become slightly narcoleptic...I sit at my desk at work and one minute I am fine and awake the next I am doing a nose dive into my computer monitor or keyboard.

In 2004 I began having seizures for no apparent reason and still to this date the doctors have not figured it out they have just classified it as a “Generalized Seizure Disorder” and put me on medication for seizures.

I have also gone between being hypertensive and having low blood pressure.

My iron levels are down around 3.5 and have NEVER been above 15 so I am taking Iron supplements as well as B-12, Calcium and Vitamin D.

I have been fighting with extreme aches and pains for the last 5-8 years with no apparent reason either. I have had doctors tell me I may have Fibromayalgia, due to the muscle weakness, fatigue and cramping. I have had them tell me I have nerve damage that is causing it. I have had them tell me they have no idea what’s causing it. It has gotten to the point that even my husband can't touch me anymore without it sending me through the roof in tears because of the pain.

I have problems with my periods that have been ongoing for years…I bounce back and forth between having periods that last 7-10 days to having ones that last 14-21 days. I however always flow very heavy.

With the mention of the heavy period I should also mention that I have extreme mood swings and I am not normally like that I am usually an extremely calm and relaxed person however since all of this has happened I don’t have any patience. This has gotten bad enough that I have actually considered asking the doctor for an anti-psychotic, but I usually get back to normal before it gets to the point of needing them on an ongoing basis. I however CANNOT take birth control or hormone pills as they make me lose my mind.

So I am trying to find out if all of this could stem from my Thyroid issues or if anyone has any sort of advise on how to get myself back to normal again.

What should I be asking my doctor to look for? What should I be concerned about? Does having the Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies Test >1000 mean that I could have Thyroid Cancer?

I'm just really trying to see if this could be the root cause of all of my problems for the last 10 years...before now the doctors hadn't tested my Thyroid at all but I have had just about every other test under the sun to try to diagnose my issues and all the others have come up inconclusive as of yet. I have had EEG, EKG, MRI, Nerve Testing, Tilt Table Tests, Holter Monitor Tests, CT Scans, blood test after blood test and the list just goes on and on. Could it really be as easy as the Thyroid is causing it all??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2011, 08:38 PM   #2
(female)

Myboo99 HB UserMyboo99 HB UserMyboo99 HB UserMyboo99 HB UserMyboo99 HB User
Re: Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies Test >1000

I'm pretty new to this but it kinda looks like maybe Hashis to me? Someone else could prolly better answer that but as far as your symptoms those all absolutely could be caused by thyroid. They say thyroid glands control or are connected to 95% of your bodily functions so that's quite a range of things. Although I've never heard of seizures being associated but like I said kinda new so can't really help there. Everything else sounds very thyroid related. I wish you well & GL!! Hopefully they can help you feel better soon!

Old 10-31-2011, 11:46 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myboo99 View Post
I'm pretty new to this but it kinda looks like maybe Hashis to me?
Yes it does. TPOAb is not a marker for thyroid cancer but for Hashimoto's thyroiditis which is the most common cause for hypoT. Your symptoms and your TSH levels on the high side and FT4 dreadfully low indicate hypothyroidism. You definitely need thyroid replacement.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnMaid View Post
Yes it does. TPOAb is not a marker for thyroid cancer but for Hashimoto's thyroiditis which is the most common cause for hypoT. Your symptoms and your TSH levels on the high side and FT4 dreadfully low indicate hypothyroidism. You definitely need thyroid replacement.
I agree 100%!!!!

Old 11-01-2011, 12:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User

Also I can only agree with that. Hashi's and proper thyroid supplementation is needed. hang in there and hope you feel better soon.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #6
(female)

timschicksnz96 HB User

Thank you or the responses...they actually put my mind at ease a little. I was very concerned about the whole cancer thing but from the sounds of it I may not have to worry about that.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get your body balanced back out once you start with Thyroid Supplementation? I've heard it can take a pretty long time...and honstly that is ok with me if it means that in the end I am going to feel better.

Are any of you already on the therapy and if so is it working to make you feel better? I guess I just want to know that there is hope that this pain will go away someday and I can get back to my normal life of photography, hiking, rock climbing and mountain biking as those are things I truly love and honestly haven't been able to do for several years...I've still been able to do my photography but just not of the things I used to be able to.

Thank you again for all your answers...I really hope that we all get better soon!

Old 11-04-2011, 11:34 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Well it usually takes like a few months to up to a year to get everything settled - and once you find "the right dose" it may not be the right dose for long so you need to keep an eye on your symptoms and labs in the future too. But you're on your way to recovery once you get the right medication

Don't settle for "just anything within range" - you need to adjust the medication to Your needs (aiming to have your TSH below 2 and FT4 around midrange is a good starting point, from then on tweaking if needed to get to Your "best place").

I've been medicated for 6˝ years now and I ran my first half marathon last year (maybe could've done it sooner if I had felt like doing it ) - wouldn't have been able to do it without my meds I need to adjust my meds frequently but hey, if adjusting helps I'm ok with that

Last edited by FinnMaid; 11-04-2011 at 11:36 AM.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:46 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

It took 15 months to find my optimal dose. While symptoms were pretty bad last summer when I was first titrating up on my dose, I was only dealing with a few symptoms here and there this year as I neared my optimal levels.

I think the reason it took so long for my dose to be optimized was due to the fact that I need my FreeT4/T3 levels higher than most people - I need them at the top of the range.

Getting labs every 6 wks. really helps me keep on top of things. Last month, I developed one minor symptom (achy knees) and my labs showed my levels to be off just a tad. A small dose adjustment took care of things and I was back to my "old self" within a week.

With proper treatment, you can look forward to doing everything you used to do and more. I'm thrilled to report that I bumped up my exercise regimen and have been doing the P90X program for almost two months now -yay!

Closed Thread