It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
(female)

kgros004 HB User
Question Gagging/Coughing

Good afternoon!

My name is Kate. I'm a 20 year old college student. Last year, I was diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism by the doctor here on campus. My levels were only slightly off normal (the true numbers elude me) and my symptoms were pretty mild and included fatigue, difficulty losing weight, etc. My doctor and I both agreed to take a "watch and see" approach.

It's been a little over a year, and now I feel like there is a lump in my throat. Sometimes I get a tickle and start gagging like crazy. It's really embarassing, especially when I'm at work and start looking like I'm going to puke. This tickle also tends to make me cough.

Should I go to the doctor or am I just being a bit of a hypochondriac? (It wouldn't be the first time.)

Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2011, 11:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User
Re: Gagging/Coughing

Sounds like a trip to the doctor is in order.

When a person has hypothyroidism, it's not uncommon for the thyroid to swell in its desperate yet, unsuccessful, attempts to meet the body's need for thyroid hormone.

The symptoms you describe could very well be caused by a swollen thyroid (or the development of nodules, which is also common in hypothyroidism).

So, not only do you want complete thyroid testing - FreeT4, FreeT3 and TSH, it would probably be a good idea for you to get a thyroid ultrasound.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2011, 12:40 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User
Re: Gagging/Coughing

the 'swelling/tense feeling' which causes you to cough can indeed be the thyroid who's trying to keep up and that's causing the tense feeling. a trip to the doctor would be recommended and I'd ask for a full thyroid testing (even more so since last year you were subclinical hypo). if it's hypoT due to auto-immunity (hashimoto) the weight and see approach is useless. the sooner treatment starts, the easier recovery will be. if one does not have real symptoms yet, one might never get them, if one gets proper treatment.

Closed Thread