It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2011, 09:40 PM   #1
(female)

simplyfrustrate HB User
Levothyroxine stopping it - does it have major side effects?

I was put on this Sept 8th ; until 5 days ago and the doctor didnt see my energy level up so he told me to stop it. Lately, I notice i feel achey all the time. I don't feel like getting out of bed and worse of all??? The past 2 days I've noticed I am not able to get out of bed til 1 or 2 pm. Today out of no where I got so hungry?? I cant stop eating today then half an hr ago I started feeling flu like sick. Started throwing up all the stuff again. ( sorry for the gross details! ) I'm not sure what to do. I go see the doctor too much. I don't wanna go back to the doctor again. I don't want this new doctor at this new clinic to think I"m depressed! My old clinic couldnt find out my thyriod problem? kept saying i was depressed and kept wanting to shove anti depressants at me.

My qustion here today is " does any1 know if there is any other side effects from quitting thyriod medication i should know about? all i found after i googled was that quitting thyriod medication ppl tend to gain weight

Old 11-03-2011, 03:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User
Re: Levothyroxine stopping it - does it have major side effects?

I'm sorry you're going through this.

First of all do you have any labresults (including reference ranges), if not you might want to ask a copy at your doctor for your own file. feel free to post them if you have them, it's easier for us to think with you.

why were you put on thyroid medication? Was your thyroid off and if so what was the reason? Hashimoto is an auto-immune disease which is a common cause (again bloodresults are relevant here).

if you were just given a trial, it's important to get a proper trial (meaning within normal ranges is not good enough). Point being at this point a lot of guessing which is hard to answer without further information on your labresults.

the quiting with thyroid meds is related to the reason why you were put on it. if you have a healthy thyroid which functions properly there is no risk in stopping the meds, but then you would not be put on them to begin with I should think. unless it was a temporary thyroiditis which is common after pregnancy.

People tend to gain weight after stopping thyroid meds?
thyroid medication is not real medication, not like what we think of when we think of medication. Thyroid medication is supplementing what the body needs and a healthy thyroid produces by itself, in case of a bad function thyroid no longer produces and consequently it's supplemented out of the bottle.
if one has a healthy thyroid, one does not need thyroid medication and there is no added value in doing so.
again relevant is why is one put on thyroid meds and why does one stop treatment. because if one is hypoT due to hashimoto and one stops taking the meds, one becomes hypoT again and symptoms return, of which weight gain is one.

I can see how people gain weight if they have a bad functioning thyroid and they need them, so stopping means stopping the treatment one needs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2011, 04:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

I agree with everything Lisa said.

And, it is completely unrealistic to think that your energy would return after being on meds less than two months.

It takes many, many months to optimize levels/identify the optimal dose and, until that time, symptoms will continue. In fact, it's not uncommon for new symptoms to develop.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:42 PM   #4
(female)

simplyfrustrate HB User

This is my result from two months ago :

TSH

0.38-5.5 mU/L
Free T4 14.9

10.5-20.0 pmol/L

Free T3 5.5

3.5-6.5 pmol/L

- Well, that were the information i was told by the gp that if the medication was the right one? After 6 weeks it would show. All I know is I felt horrible! Between the stomach cramps , consant washroom trips and not being able to focus , the horrible neck cramps , headaches it was enough to drive me nutts! After I stopped I was sleepy all the time and now I'm starting to go through the insomia. I can't sleep even with sleeping pills. It's only been 8 days , I feel so out of this world. The doctor told me to wait 4 weeks before running new blood work. I'm running out of options. I feel miserble right now am tempted to go back to ask for help? But am fearing that this new gp might be like my old doctor who thought if the test says your fine then your fine. If you keep saying you don't feel well when your test says your fine then you need anti depressants or therapy. I'm not being racist. I'm just saying I have bad luck with judgemental doctors!

I am currently being told that my current test says i have a normal thyriod now even though i have abnormal symptoms. Some ppl on here have told me that my t4 isn't normal.

Between the lagging feeling? The symptoms that annoys me the most is this hunger! Do any of you guys/gal's know how to stop that? I hate feeling hungry all the time. i don't want to pack on anymore weight! I'm 5'6 and now I weigh 198 lbs . This is ALOT usually in my healthier days? I was 166

Last edited by simplyfrustrate; 11-04-2011 at 11:45 PM.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:39 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Unfortunately, many doctors don't understand thyroid disease.

Your labs indicated hypothyroidism and you should have started meds. However, starting meds and titrating up on the dose has its own process to endure.

Here's a recent thread I started so people new to hypothyroidism would know what to expect:

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=876498

There's no escaping the meds titration process. We *might* feel better after starting meds for a short while but, symptoms often return and/or new ones develop. The body is in a state of flux when much-needed thyroid hormone is introduced.

And, until we near our optimal dose/levels, we can have symptoms. Things do get better as we near our optimal dose/levels but, it's tough in the beginning.

However, it is worth every effort since it's entirely possible to be symptom-free while having thyroid disease.

Your doctor didn't give the meds a chance.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:57 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

If a person has weak adrenal function, they can have a terrible time tolerating thyroid meds. It will manifest itself with hyper-like symptoms, nausea, sugar cravings, etc. - similar to what you're reporting. The prescribing information written for most brands of levothyroxine states that if there is adrenal dysfunction, it has to be treated before or concurrently with thyroid adjustment.

I don't know much else about adrenal dysfunction, but I do know that.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:09 PM   #7
(female)

CorralesNM HB User

How do you know if you have adrenal dysfunction? On October 18, I was started on 25mcg of levothrroxine, and I cannot tolerate what the drug is doing to me, so I've decided to go off it until I can meet with an endocrinologist on Nov. 21. I'll ask for Armour or Naturemade (?).
Since I've been on the levo, I've gained 7 pounds, my eyelids, feet, and fingers are swollen; my tongue has darkened spots on it, and I can't think, which means I can't work (I'm a writer and an editor).
The only thing my current doctor has told me by way of the nurse is that levo is an easily tolerated drug. Not for me.
I'm crabby and weepy, and there's no way on God's earth that I could handle feeling like this while they adjust the dose for me.
The only thing I'd complained about before being put on the levo was that I'd gained 10 pounds the past year (now I've gained 7 in less than a month) and that I was waking up in the middle of the night.
My TSH was 7.1
This totally sucks, and I'd much rather be unmedicated if this is what levo does to me.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:16 PM   #8
(female)

CorralesNM HB User

How do you know if you have adrenal dysfunction? On October 18, I was started on 25mcg of levothrroxine, and I cannot tolerate what the drug is doing to me, so I've decided to go off it until I can meet with an endocrinologist on Nov. 21. I'll ask for Armour or Naturemade (?).
Since I've been on the levo, I've gained 7 pounds, my eyelids, feet, and fingers are swollen; my tongue has darkened spots on it, and I can't think, which means I can't work (I'm a writer and an editor).
The only thing my current doctor has told me by way of the nurse is that levo is an easily tolerated drug. Not for me.
I'm crabby and weepy, and there's no way on God's earth that I could handle feeling like this while they adjust the dose for me.
The only thing I'd complained about before being put on the levo was that I'd gained 10 pounds the past year (now I've gained 7 in less than a month) and that I was waking up in the middle of the night.
My TSH was 7.1
This totally sucks, and I'd much rather be unmedicated if this is what levo does to me.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #9
(female)

simplyfrustrate HB User

i donno anything about the adenal disfunction either. I've known that i have Hashimoto's for nearly two years now and i am still a newbie at this with information. Even though i've read everything that google has to offer. People on here talk about adrenal disfuction all the time. But my gp doesnt believe and told me to google

Closed Thread