It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2011, 03:22 PM   #1
(female)

EXM HB User
TSH results

So my bloodwork came back normal, she said just in the middle, at 2.03 for TSH. She said everything else looked fine.

Siiigh. I was just hoping that was it. not really sure if I can talk my doc into the other thyroid tests. Looking to get a sleep study and maybe visit with an ENT...

I'm physically active and not overweight. Tired of being tired and cold all the time...

The Following User Says Thank You to EXM For This Useful Post:
Robingirl (11-25-2011)
Old 11-21-2011, 04:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User
Re: TSH results

"Just in the middle" must mean your lab is using the old TSH ranges - UGH!

Even then, if the lab used the current ranges, your TSH would be considered "normal" only because it is in range.

However, a thyroid-savvy doctor knows that pituitary hormone TSH is not a reliable indicator of thyroid function.

Since you are dealing with symptoms, your doctor should have checked your actual thyroid hormone levels - FreeT4 and FreeT3.

TSH > 2.0 is suspect for hypothyroidism so, you really need further testing.

It sounds like your doctor isn't being too helpful - it certainly wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion. Your money would be better spent on that than the sleep study.

Many of us have had to see a succession of doctors before finding one that "gets thyroid". And, thyroid-savvy doctors aren't usually endos.....we've had better luck with DO's, internists or alternative doctors.

Last edited by sammy64; 11-21-2011 at 04:22 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
(female)

EXM HB User

Thanks for the reply Sammy! I just really, really don't think my thyroid works right, and it would set my mind at ease to do a T3 and T4 test. If somethings wrong - problem solved. If nothing's wrong, fine, okay, then I would hope to look into possible sleep problems/despression/anxiety. Just the fact that I have so many symptoms, have felt this way my whole life but worse and worse lately, and a lump on my thyroid.

I don't know how to go about asking my doctor about this... I wonder if it would be sufficient to ask 'is it possible there is something wrong that doesn't show up on this test?" or ask straight up for a T3/T4 test...

Siiiigh. I wish I could just order my own lab work, see what's wrong and medicate/do surgery on myself (LOL!). It just seems like I've been dealing with this problem for a long time with no resolution.

(Just for reference, here's my original post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXM View Post
So I was a lethargic, overweight child/teenager and was tested when I was 12 or so for hypothyroidism, and was told it was normal. (I'm guessing this was TSH only)

Fast forward to the present - I'm an average weight 26 year old woman who can sleep 8-10 hours without feeling refreshed, am constantly exhausted, have done strength training for months but my arms start to shake after one or two pushups, have thinning hair, ringing in my ears, anxiety and depression, and no eyebrow hair (not just thinning - like no hair!) on the outer 1/3-1/2 of my eyebrows. My brain has seemingly sunk into a coma; paying attention to conversations is difficult, and my brain seems to process things incredibly slowly, if at all. I feel like I'm going crazy. The worst part is the anxiety, random panic attacks, and depression and complete loss of interest in my hobbies and life (this has been more recent - I've always had some anxiety/depression issues, but I've always managed to stay positive and get over it with exercise. Not anymore). Oh and circular thinking - my mind is a revolving door of obsessive thought. I have literally just felt like a crazy person lately, short temper, distracted, just outrageous behavior and crying and obsessing over things that really aren't that important.

I went to a shrink first. He wanted to see what my physician said. So today I went for my first real physical in years. He's doing fasting glucose, metabolic panel, and TSH.

Now I'm really apprehensive waiting for the lab results.

If it's not my thyroid... I'm afraid I'm just going crazy and will spend the rest of my life in a brain fog, listless and disinterested in life and unable to put any real effort into activities. And then I keep thinking... what if it is my thyroid but the TSH doesn't show it?

So I'm hoping and praying for some answers... I really don't want to live the rest of my life like this. Reading other people's posts on this board has been really reassuring, and I hope the lab test says hypothyroid, just so I can find a solution to constantly feeling awful and fatigued. I guess I'll just have to suffer a little longer and find out!

Old 11-23-2011, 05:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Unfortunately, all-too-many people have suffered with hypothyroidism for years before diagnosis. Just read some of the stories in the permanent section on here.

It's too bad your doctor doesn't realize that more than the TSH should be tested. Maybe you could talk to your doctor and tell him/her you've been doing some research and you think that the symptoms you've been dealing with are hypothyroidism symptoms.

You could even get a copy of "Thyroid for Dummies" and show him/her that the endo-author mentions the importance of FreeT4 and FreeT3 testing.

If your doctor refuses, I suggest you look for another one. Many of us have had to see a succession of doctors before finding one that could properly diagnose/treat. (I'm on #5 myself)

There are online lab services but, they won't help much if you need medication....and it sure sounds like you do.

Last edited by Administrator; 10-29-2012 at 07:41 PM.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
(female)

EXM HB User

Sammy,

Thanks so much for your reply. It's very reassuring... I definitely think I need to keep pushing this thyroid issue, especially now that the doctor has dropped it as a supposed non-issue.

So since that initial visit I went to a psychologist, who said I seemed like a really put together girl, and while depression seemed like a possibility, it would be hard to say if I just have depression - or if mild depression is caused by my sleep/fatigue problems. (I do not like to think I am depressed. I am tired all the time, and I tend to feel down about my lack of energy. But generally I am a very positive person).

Back to the MD. He said, since my labs look good, treating possible depression would be the next move. I thought, maybe I am depressed, and I will take this pill and finally be cured! The prospect of waking up with energy in the morning for the first time in 20+ years had me overjoyed.

Mission failed. I am sooooo tired, twice as bad as I was before. I still wake up just as much in the night (if not more). I still dream a ton, though some of my dreams have taken a darker turn. Gone are the panic/anxiety I would get in the evening, but they're replaced by an extreme lethargy. I've fallen asleep at work more than I ever did before the antidepressant.

I'm going to stay on them until next Thursday (3 weeks) just to say I gave it a full chance.

My followup with the doc is 2 weeks from now. I don't know how to push it, but I'm still convinced my thyroid is the problem. Thinning hair, missing the outer halves of my eyebrows, seriously decreased sense of smell, constantly cold, tired, always shakey when I work out and shakey/irritated if I haven't eaten for a while.

I'm going to tell him how the antidepressant didn't work (made me feel like absolute cr@p) and ask about further exploring the possibility of the thyroid problem. If he could re-test, and do T4 and T3 tests, or send me to an endocrinologist. I suppose it could be some pituitary/adrenal fatigue problem, but that seems a lot less likely than thyroid (which is uber common).

Sigh. Like I said before, I was tested for thyroid when I was 12 or so and my mom/doc just let it go then and I lived with the extreme fatigue since. I'm really glad this board is here for support. While my 2.03 TSH may be "normal" (at least by my hospital's shoddy old standards - I read a few places that anything over 2 is suspect) I sure as heck don't feel normal.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:18 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I really think you should be looking for a more thyroid-savvy doctor and, sorry to say, an endo is least likely to be one.

Some thyroid forum members had success by getting contact info from local pharmacists for doctors that Rx Armour and/or Cytomel. These are two types of thyroid meds that thyroid-savvy doctors Rx.

Don't give up until you find Dr. Right - it is worth every effort.

Closed Thread