It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2011, 07:01 PM   #1
(female)

Whelpling HB User
High TSH, 'normal' thyroid hormones.

So I had some blood tests because I was feeling generally fatigued quite a bit. I'm not too worried, because I can deal with the fatigue by ensuring I get enough sleep and eating well. However, the test for TSH came back high at 7.4

My doctor said the actual thyroid hormone levels in my body are 'normal', but they're testing for thyroid antibodies in my blood now. He says if they're present, then I'm 10 times more likely to develop hypothyroid in the coming years.

But 7.4 seems high given everything I've read about TSH levels. Should my doc be doing more?

And with my thyroid hormone levels being in the 'normal' range, does this suggest that I could reverse the TSH problem with coconut oil/maca root ad avoidance of goitregens?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2011, 07:07 PM   #2
(female)

Whelpling HB User
Re: High TSH, 'normal' thyroid hormones.

I should add that in 2008, my TSH came back as 2.5

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2011, 05:20 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Sorry to say, it doesn't matter whether or not you test positive for antibodies (many don't) because, it looks like you've been dealing with hypothyroidism since 2008, at least.

Thyroid-savvy doctors know that TSH > 2.0 is suspect for hypothyroidism.

While your thyroid hormone levels might be in the normal range, based upon your symptoms and TSH, it's clear they aren't YOUR normal.

The endo-author of "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Hypothyroidism" writes extensively about patients having raging hypothyroidism with "normal" (aka in-range) levels.

Since most cases of hypothyroidism are autoimmune in nature, there's nothing that can be done to stop the process - dietary or otherwise.

I hope you will seek the opinion of another doctor....or more. Many of us have had to see a number of doctors before getting properly diagnosed/treated (I'm on #5 myself)

Since it does take easily a year to optimize our meds dose/levels, the longer you wait to meet Dr. Right, the more delayed your recovery.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:22 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Fatigue is one of over 60 symptoms a person can have when dealing with hypothyroidism. You might want to review this recent thread of mine to see if you have any other symptoms. Making a list of symptoms and giving a copy to the doctor could very well help with diagnosis.

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=876498

Old 11-22-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
(female)

Whelpling HB User

Hi Sammy, and thanks very much for your replies.

I mentioned in class last week that I had received a thyroid result that showed I may be hypo, and two people within the space of 30 minutes told me separately to try and avoid synthetic thyroid drugs at all costs. One guy told me that his wife is now 65 and practically crippled with osteoarthritis from taking thyroxin since her 20s, and the other didn't give a reason, just said he was a MD and had half his thyroid out and would recommend trying to control it with vitamins etc. Any idea why i would have encountered such an attitude toward thyroxin? It has made me very apprehensive about taking it.

Thanks

Old 11-22-2011, 11:32 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I've been taking synthetic T4 and T3 for over 18 months now and am doing VERY well with them.

Many people with Hashi's develop problems converting the T4 (storage hormone) to T3, our active hormone.

This makes sense since Hashi's slowly destroys thyroid function. Well, 20% of conversion happens in the thyroid.

So, when people take a T4-only med such as thyroxine and are still having problems, that's a good sign they are deficient in T3.

So, rather than look at pituitary hormone TSH to evaluate thyroid function, thyroid-savvy doctors look at the actual thyroid hormone levels - FreeT4 and FreeT3.

Most healthy people have FreeT4/T3 levels in the upper half/upper third of the range so, that thyroid-savvy doctor will adjust the meds dose(s) to achieve this for the patient....and then tweak the dose(s) to address any remaining symptoms.

This is what my doctor did for me.

Just for the record, since most cases of hypothyroidism are autoimmune in nature, it's unrealistic to think that vitamins will stop the antibody destruction of the thyroid. People dealing with hypothyroidism need to replace the vital thyroid hormone not being produced in sufficient quantities to meet the body's needs.

Last edited by sammy64; 11-22-2011 at 11:35 AM.

Closed Thread