It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
(female)

carys2011 HB User
Ranges for the Antithyroglobulin AB?

Okay I am so confused. For the last six month my TSH, T3 T4 etc etc were tested numerous times. Everything looked fine. I felt awful but there were other things going on which it was blamed on.

Then in the last few weeks the TSH has gone from 3ish to 10. Increasing every time it was checked. Very low (.80) Free T4.

So I am tested for Hashimotos. The TPO is not of any concern and is low (8). The Anti thyroglobulin AB as it turns out is 96 (reference 0-40).

Could I possibly have Hashimotos? I am going for an ultrasound next week. I really hope I don't have cancer.

What causes an elevated AB?

Old 11-25-2011, 02:10 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
Re: Ranges for the Antithyroglobulin AB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carys2011 View Post
Could I possibly have Hashimotos? I am going for an ultrasound next week.
That's what it most likely is. The ultrasound can also show damage caused by Hashi's.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #3
(female)

carys2011 HB User

Thank you FinnMaid. I guess I am curious how "high" are my levels. I have read on here people have numbers into the thousands. Mine does not sound that high, compared to theirs.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Hashimoto's is diagnosed one of two ways:
Biopsy of thyroid tissue to show the tell tale thyroid tissue distruction pattern.
Positive thyroid antibody presence.

Depending on the activity of Hashimoto's, your Trab and tpoab levels will fluctuate.
My tpoab levels peaked above 10,000.
My Trab levels peaked above 500.

Now my thyroid is about dead, and my tpoab levels are still positive in levels but much lower. The more hypothyroid I was the more my body pumped out antibodies to attack my thyroid. Illness and other factors caused fluxes as well.

In my non-MD opinion and experience if you have one tpoab or Trab antibody level or both above the normal range upper limit then you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis. This is the standard that has been used by my MD and my mother and aunts MDs opinions as well.

So I concur with Finnmaid, I believe that you have joined our dysfunctional thyroid family. The one and only treatment is the same as treating any other form of hypothyroidism, you supplement with thyroid medication. Having Hashimoto's does not make you more likely to have cancer than any other hypot sufferer. You do have a hire chance of having thyroid nodules. The development of nodules is linked to the way our thyroid antibodies attack and destroy thyroid tissue.

Your thyroid ultrasound should be informative. The Md should want to biopsy any nodules that are greater than a cm in any dimension. This is very standard in my experience. I have had a single spherical nodule that is 9 mm in each direction. My MDs joke that it must be afraid of needles and thus stunting it's own growth. Just one more mm and I will have my own FNA experience. My mom and two of her four sisters have had FNAs and all eventually had full thyroidectomies due to goiter growth and questionable biopsies.

I would not worry over the cancer issue yet. Hashimoto's is actually very common. A study of 17000 US citizens showed 12.6 % of the population. Tested positive for hashimoto's antibodies and most of those did not know they had a thyroid issue.

You are not alone. I am one of many here. I have Hashimoto's and Graves Disease. Yeah you can have both. Hashimoto's wins in the end. A lot of experienced sufferers will be able to give you rest advice. Please feel free to share your experiences and ask questions it is the best way for everyone to learn.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 11-26-2011, 04:52 AM   #5
(female)

carys2011 HB User

Thank you both so much. In a way I am so relieved that something was found. I thought I was going crazy. I have already read a book called Living Well with Autoimmune Disease which was very helpful. I am completely cutting out Gluten and Dairy (made appts next week to meet with an allergist & nutritionist). I am having a lot of trouble taking in Vitamin D. Despite taking 5000 units daily. Any suggestions? Also I think I am iron deficient, what test will show that- are iron supplements recommended?

Old 11-26-2011, 06:02 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

I had the iron issues and vitamin d deficit as well. It is VERY common in hypoT patients. Vit d supplements alone didn't cut it for me. I literally had to prescribe myself time in the sun. Normal people need 15 min a day. I seemed to need 30 min a day in addition to about 10000 of vit D supplements.

Iron I due best taking an iron oxalate supplement and eating a lot of red meat and
Green veggies. Testing that is a must for me is monitoring standard
Hemoglobins, iron, and the one most MDs only order if you ask Ferritin. Many hypoT patients have low iron stores, that is what ferritin measures.

How are your vit B levels? B6, B12... And more. Low B levels are another hypoT plague. I had to take a super b comes every day and get vitamin b shots as well quarterly.

Hope this helps. Just the stuff I had to fight aggressively early on to keep low normal levels of ferritin, b12 and 6, and vit d. Now my thyroid function is replaced by 175 mcgs of T4 a day, I just have to take a standard multivit, Get my sun few days a week, and eat well (caveman diet). It will get better when you are treated correctly. It takes time.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 11-26-2011, 06:32 AM   #7
(female)

carys2011 HB User

Okay so here is where I am in trouble. I have not had red meat in 10 years. But I am starting to take fish oil. I have trouble eating meat, but can take the capsules without issue it seems.

As for the sun, happy to do that. Here is a silly question- can I still absorb Vitamin D if I wear sun block?

I try to avoid the heat as I fear I will one day get lupus based on other symptoms.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:14 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I wear sun block. As a natural scotch Irish reddish Blonde I need it. Also I rarely can get 30 minutes in one shot. I normally get my 30 minutes in 5-10 minute blocks. By all means my fair skinned family recommends safe sun exposure!

MG

Closed Thread