It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2011, 10:10 PM   #1
(female)

JONESY19 HB User
Newly diagnosed Hypo w/other hormone imbalances

Today I received results from my lab work and was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid and other hormonal imbalances. I was prescribed 25 mcg of Levothyroxine. Here are my results for the thyroid testing.

TSH 2.88 [0.34 – 5.60]
T4 Free 0.78 [0.61 – 1.12]
T3 Total 0.96 [0.87 – 1.78]
T3 Free 3.55 [2.39 – 6.79]

Progesterone, DHEA, and Free Testosterone were all low and I was prescribed a compounded cream of all 3.

He recommended I take Melatonin each night since I'm having insomnia. But a friend suggested that I hold off since the Progesterone can help with sleep.

I noticed in my lab work that Magnesium is very low - 1.9 - the range is [1.8 - 2.5]. He did not comment on this and I think I would like to look into taking a supplement.

My biggest complaints are chronic headaches, muscle tension, migraines, extremely low libido, insomnia, and difficulty losing weight.

Since I'm new to all of this I was wondering what I might expect with these new meds. I have never had to be on anything like this as I only take Relpax and OTC pain relievers for the migraines/headaches.

Thanks in advance for your replies. I know I'll have more questions soon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2011, 09:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Newly diagnosed Hypo w/other hormone imbalances

[=JONESY19;

I received results from my lab work and was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid and other hormonal imbalances. I was prescribed 25 mcg of Levothyroxine.

First let me say, good on work MD many MDs do not start treating thyroid issues early enough.

Here are my results for the thyroid testing.

TSH 2.88 [0.34 – 5.60]
Do you know how to calculate your actual thyroid hormone ranges? I go over this in an old thread series of my thyroid care and concerns. You might want to look them up. Here is the formula I use. It came from a governmental medical journal, but is also standardly used in chemistry. I am not an MD just one of seven human thyroid sufferers in my family. I excluded the hypothyroid dogs. I swear my family females are hypoT magnets... But that is another story.
To calculate:
(Your value - lower limit)/(upper limit - lower limit)x 100=% of hormone.

Now ranges vary and are very broad. My MDs and I know that the optimal region in many hormones is 50-80% of range. This is stated in journal after journal and in my personal experience my aunts and cousin have to get there thyroid levels close to 70% and balanced before symptoms go away. Everyones body chemistry is different, but families tend to have mire similarities in theirs... Makes sense no? I am ignoring the total t3 value. You have the FT3, it is more accurate. Let's see where you are..

TSH is 48.3% of normal range given. The American Association of Clinical Endos changed that range given the optimal level fir all should be around 1. I think the latest range is .3-2.5 for Hashimoto's sufferer and .3-3 for other hypoT sufferers. The testing laboratories can be slow updating their limits thus in my personal opinion it is essential to be under the care of an MD that stays up to date on their thyroid research. If we use this range your TSH is 95.6% of normal range. As your MD stated under active. Your MD doesnt seem to be a TSH lover.... That is a GOOD THING!

FT4 is at 33% of normal range. I had similar symptoms to you at this level. My happy place is at 78% of normal range.
FT3 is at 26% of normal range.

These are low but you will get better. It takes time. Did your MD test your thyroid antibodies? Cortisol levels? Ferritin? Vit b6&12? My hypoT source was pregnancy activated hashimotos and graves thyroid disease. I was also low in the vit bs and ferritin and mg. Supplementing those in addition to vit d supplementation helped me a lot.

As to increasing and testing thyroid levels. MDS have different preferences. Mine tested my blood work every 4 wks initial increasing my doses in 12.5 increments. This changed when I got pregnant. During my first two trimesters I was tested every 2 wks and increased accordingly.

I hope this information helped. You are not alone. This is a great place to vent and ask questions. Please excuse spelling and typo errors. Sent via phone over lunch.

He recommended I take Melatonin each night since I'm having insomnia. But a friend suggested that I hold off since the Progesterone can help with sleep.

I CONCUR THAT, sorry caps lock, you do not have to take the melatonin right now. However my son, my husband and I all have sleep apnea. Melatonin is a natural sleep aide prescribed for my son and recently my 23 mo old daughter. It helps some people a lot.. Others not so much comes back to bio hem!

I noticed in my lab work that Magnesium is very low - 1.9 - the range is [1.8 - 2.5]. He did not comment on this and I think I would like to look into taking a supplement.

Call and ask what he would recommend dose wise. Multivitamins have some, but some times we need to supplement that.. HypoTs are famous for malabsorption of vitamins and minerals.

My biggest complaints are chronic headaches, muscle tension, migraines, extremely low libido, insomnia, and difficulty losing weight.

Very common. As your thyroid levels increase things will balance out. There is not a quick fix though...

Since I'm new to all of this I was wondering what I might expect with these new meds. I have never had to be on anything like this as I only take Relpax and OTC pain relievers for the migraines/headaches.

My migraines went away with out meds when I started mg supplements and super b complex supplementation in conjunction with my thyroid meds. Until then i had to treAt them with sleep, decongestants, andarge doses of ibuprofen.

I hope this helps. I wish you reach optimal levels quickly. It should take 7-10 days to feel the effect of your thyroid meds. It takes that long to reach equilibrium in your system. If your body chemistry is like mine, At two weeks you will begin to have breakthrough hypoT symptoms, if you need a dose increase.

Sincerely,

MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2011, 06:19 PM   #3
(female)

JONESY19 HB User

Thank you for the wonderful info! I never heard of calculating your own thyroid ranges. Good to know. Thanks for figuring mine out for me

He did test cortisol and it was 17.1. I don't see a range listed for that and I don't know what the result means. He did not test Ferritin, B6 or 12, or antibodies.

I'm guessing the migraines will get much better because I know they are hormonal - they always hit me hard the day of or before my TOM and usually right at the end as well.

I'm supposed to apply the compound cream in the AM. I'm thinking that's why he recommended the Melatonin. The cream has testosterone as well and I think that may help with energy.

I'm so glad this Dr. tested the right things. I hear of many horror stories.

What do you mean by breakthrough HypoT symptoms?

Do you find that once someone begins Thyroid meds they have to remain on them for life? I don't think I had a thyroid issue prior to having my daughter. I've always had the migraines (since 17 yo) but I think the thyroid issues started after having my child

Thanks again!

Old 12-02-2011, 01:17 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

=JONESY19;

You welcome.

I never heard of calculating your own thyroid ranges. Good to know. Thanks for figuring mine out for me

Try calculating the results to make sure it makes sense. I have run into some MDS that do not know this calculation. As a chemist I am more familiar with its use.

He did test cortisol and it was 17.1. I don't see a range listed for that and I don't know what the result means. He did not test Ferritin, B6 or 12, or antibodies.

I'm guessing the migraines will get much better because I know they are hormonal - they always hit me hard the day of or before my TOM and usually right at the end as well.

My neurologist and neurological ophthalmologist both diagnosed me with hormonal migraines. These peaked during my firs tpregnancy and did not go away until my Hashimoto's and Graves disease was identified and treated properly.]

I'm supposed to apply the compound cream in the AM. I'm thinking that's why he recommended the Melatonin. The cream has testosterone as well and I think that may help with energy.

Let us know if this helps. Others may be able to learn from your experience with this treatment.

I'm so glad this Dr. tested the right things. I hear of many horror stories.
What do you mean by breakthrough HypoT symptoms?
This is how I describe the rebound of hypothyroid symptoms after your blood thyroid supplement levels have reached equilibrium. When my aunts and I are titrating our thyroid meds we know we are still not right I. Levels by keeping a log of our symptoms and monitoring them. We compare both our physical symptoms in addition to our blood work levels to determine when we are at our own personal thyroid optimal point. There is not one magical number to aime for your optimal point will be some where in normal range where your symptoms go away. Most child bearing age females fine it in the 60-80% of normal range.

Do you find that once someone begins Thyroid meds they have to remain on them for life? I don't think I had a thyroid issue prior to having my daughter. I've always had the migraines (since 17 yo) but I think the thyroid issues started after having my child

/Some people suffer from thyroiditis. Inflammation of the thyroid and a resulting change in production for a limited time. However most that go hypot have to stay on meds for life. ONCE You have supplemented your thyroid to optimal levels it is fairly easy to maintain with just a pill a day.

I asked you about the thyroid antibodies, because if your source is autoimmune then there are added hiccups to be aware of... In addition to a guaranteed life long treatment of your thyroid. In case no one has told you the antibody panel for your thyroid is TPOAB, TRAB, TSI, and TGAB.

The thing about Hashimoto's and Graves thyroid diseases is the are genetically dominant traits that are passed down generation after generation. Females are four times more likely to manifest autoimmune thyroid diseases ( AITD ) than males. I am living proof of this. All females in my maternal line for four generation have had either Graves or Hashimoto's. Only seven of us are dealing with it right now. The funny thing about the AITDs is they tend to activate in times of hormonal flux. Radiation exposure, some drugs, and mono are other main aggravates, but all in all it is puberty, pregnancy, and menopause that seem to kick the AITDs in to gear most often.

Mine activated with my son's pregnancy. My second pregnancy was the death Nell, killing my thyroid off completely. I like my thyroid dead. Alive and serving as a Hashimoto's/Graves battle field was living in a hypot hypert hades. It is not common to have both, but it is possible. So I strongly recommend next time you go for blood work, that you discuss with your doctor about checking your thyroid antibody levels. Given my personal experience with low vit B and ferritin issues i would also recommend that you ask him about those tests and if they may apply to you as well.

Once again this is just MY PERSONAL OPINION. I am not an MD. I am just going from my and my family thyroid sufferers experience here. Once again I hope this might help you.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 12-06-2011, 08:52 AM   #5
(female)

crjones HB User
Feeling Worse! Re: Newly diagnosed Hypo w/other hormone imbalances

Feeling Worse!!!

So I started a low dose of Levothyroxine and a compounded hormone cream on Friday and I’ve been feeling worse. I read that with the hormone cream you can have something called “Estrogen Dominance Wake-Up Crisis” and feel worse before you feel better. Since Friday I’ve only had 2 good days and that was Friday & Saturday. Sunday – Tuesday (today) I’ve had the worst muscle aches and pain along with migraines. And I started having some joint pain in my fingers about a month ago and it feels worse also.

I made an appt w/my Dr for this Thursday. I am ready to ask for something to just help me deal with the pain until the meds he prescribed kicked in. I work full-time and have a 2 year old…as much as I’d like, I can’t stay in bed!!

I’m wondering if anyone else has experienced this – the muscle aches and migraines. The tension in my upper back/shoulder is so bad it's triggering a tension migraine. How do you handle it? I took 3 Excedrin along with a Zomig earlier today for the migraine, but the muscle aches remain

Thanks!
Christy

Old 12-07-2011, 08:14 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: Feeling Worse! Re: Newly diagnosed Hypo w/other hormone imbalances

=crones]Feeling Worse!!!
I am sorry that you are not feeling well.

So I started a low dose of Levothyroxine and a compounded hormone cream on Friday and I’ve been feeling worse. I read that with the hormone cream you can have something called “Estrogen Dominance Wake-Up Crisis” and feel worse before you feel better. Since Friday I’ve only had 2 good days and that was Friday & Saturday. Sunday – Tuesday (today) I’ve had the worst muscle aches and pain along with migraines. And I started having some joint pain in my fingers about a month ago and it feels worse also.

It can be a combination of the two as well. I wouldn't just point to estrogen yet. Research and many here that started on the 25 mcgs of T4 had an initial decrease in thyroid hormone in their systems. First time I came across this phenomena I did the classic, HUH? Followed by DUH! when I did some more research. Basically if I understood the biochemistry of the response properly, you thyroid and system take a vacay expecting the thyroid supplement to cover your needs. As a result a token dose of 25 mcg can not cover the for your bodies demands for thyroid medication. The thyroid work stoppage is quite common place. You have introduced a new work force to your system the thyroid union goes on strike and your body QUICKLY YELLS AT YOU, to get more thyroid meds. My MD started me on 50 mcgs of T4 to increased odds of avoiding this side effect of starting thyroid meds. A starting dose of 25 mcgs is not a bad thing, but IMPO it is conservative. If you had been on the meds for two weeks I would recommend a thyroid Hormone panel recheck, it takes 2 weeks unfortunately to reach blood equilibrium on just a T4 supplement.

I made an appt w/my Dr for this Thursday. I am ready to ask for something to just help me deal with the pain until the meds he prescribed kicked in. I work full-time and have a 2 year old…as much as I’d like, I can’t stay in bed!!

I can sympathize. My daughter is 2 yes old today. My son was 2 and I was working on a PHD when my thyroid issues went critical. I would talk with your MD see if he is willing to boost you to 50 mcg of T4. Discuss the merits of it with him. You are on the road to recovery. At your stage I knew I had the thyroid AIs and I was at the bottom of the barrel hormone wise, but my MDs were TSH watchers and ignorant of proactive treatment of Hashimoto's. It took another year to find a MD that would treat me. So think positive, you know you have a thyroid issue, you know your MD us willing to look outside the box and treat you. So unfortunately you are in the thyroid hormone titration stage that some times makes you worse before you get better.

I’m wondering if anyone else has experienced this – the muscle aches and migraines. The tension in my upper back/shoulder is so bad it's triggering a tension migraine. How do you handle it? I took 3 Excedrin along with a Zomig earlier today for the migraine, but the muscle aches remain

Any time my thyroid levels drop I get muscle aches and pains, chill easily, migraines, dry cracked hands and feet. My hair gets brittle and breaks easily. These flare ups I documented in my symptom log. I learned that period and pregnancy can really change what your body needs thyroid wise. All in all I think you did the right thing arranging to talk to your MD. I hope the pain goes away soon.

Ps ignore spelling errors, using my phone with a funky auto correct function.

Hope this helps!

Sincererly,
MG

Old 12-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #7
(female)

crjones HB User

MG, you are the BEST. I've learned so much from you in a short amount of time!

I never realized that the dry/cracked hands and feet were a symptom. I have that too! I really need to start a log.

So with the muscle aches/tension - do you think a muscle relaxer might help in the interim? I really would like to have something just to take the edge off so that I can quit thinking about how much I hurt and think about my work or my family. I feel I've lost so much productivity at work recently because my focus just isn't there.

I'm thankful for a good Dr (at least what I've seen so far!) and for you and this board!!

Christy

Old 12-07-2011, 10:55 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

You are welcome.

You can try it. It may help. Ibuprofen was what I used or advil. Midol works in a pinch too. I also got some relief from increased magnesium supplementation and increased vit k supplementation.

Have you had Charlie horses so nasty they wake you out of a dead sleep. Those boogers are the worst. It got so bad I had bruises from them. When my levels are off they come back again. I use it as a sign to go get more blood work and eat more bananas.

This board was a god send for me early on. It help me helped my mom, her four sisters, my mom's mom, and last but not least my cousin. It will also help me continue to care and monitor my children. I will not let them get jerked around for years like the rest of our family. Feel free to vent. Thus is a very supportive board. We do understand. We have lived through hypoT or hyperT hades. Most who haven't can not understand.

I truly wish you well soon. But it takes time.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 01-10-2012, 10:42 AM   #9
(female)

crjones HB User

So it's been a little while since I've been on the boards, but wanted to give an update and see if anyone has any thoughts on my new labs.

Good news and bad news (I think). My progesterone, testosterone, and DHEA has all come up due to using the biodentical hormone cream. But my TSH came down a bit and FT4 stayed the same. For some reason he did not test T3 levels. I don't understand why that wasn't tested.

Here are my new labs:
TSH 2.27 [0.34 – 5.60][/B]

And my old:
TSH 2.88 [0.34 – 5.60]

I've been taking 25 mcg of Levothyroxine. I know that's a small dose. I go back to the Dr. tomorrow morning and I'm not sure what he'll do at this point without knowing FT3.

Is there anything I should be asking or change in medication (Armour)?

TIA,
Christy

Old 02-23-2012, 09:39 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully your md pulled a ft3. You are on 25 mcgs your ft4 levels didn't change but your your TSH went down. I am betting your ft3 went up a bit. You need both to make sure you are not out of balance.

Also increased estrogen can decrease your TSH and inhibit binding of FTs. I hope your MDs are following your hormone levels closely.

It is such a complex can of what the heck! I hope things are getting better and that you are getting the help you deserve.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 03-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #11
(female)

crjones HB User

It’s been a while since I posted because I haven’t had much to report. On my last visit in January my Dr. increased my Levothryoxine to 50 mcg and also increased my DHEA/Testosterone/Progesterone. I’m really confused by my new labs and hoping to get some opinions on what may be going on. I noticed that the ranges have changed for everything and he didn’t test the same things each time. I’ve also added some other hormone labs in there in case anyone knows about them and can give an opinion. I used the formula that mkgbrook gave me to calculate my actual thyroid hormone ranges and it looks like my % have dropped for TSH and FT4 and stayed the same for FT3 – should I ask for Armour or synthetic T3???

I was feeling better at one point but over the last month and a half I haven’t been feeling great. Tired, insomnia, waking up in the middle of the night and having anxiety, extremely irritable, low libido again, muscle ache/pain in upper left shoulder/neck/back (I think this has more to do with a trigger point issue, but not certain). My hormonal migraines seem to be going away so that’s a positive.

3/14/12
TSH 2.150 [0.270 – 4.200] 34%
T4 Free 1.17 [0.93 – 1.70] 31%
T3 Free 2.71 [2.10 – 4.40] 26%
DHEA 3.350 [0.63 – 4.70]
DHT 70.5 [24.0 – 208.0]
Estradiol 129 [no range given]
Progesterone 0.9 [no range given]

1/5/12
TSH 2.27 [0.34 – 5.60] 36%
T4 Free 0.78 [0.61 – 1.12] 33%
DHEA 3.370 [1.33 – 7.78]
Estradiol 58 [no range given]
Progesterone 3.1 [no range given]
Testosterone Free 3.4 [1.3 – 9.2]

11/11/11
TSH 2.88 [0.34 – 5.60] 48%
T3 Free 3.55 [2.39 – 6.79] 26%
DHEA 2.600 [1.33 – 7.78]
Progesterone 0.5 [no range given]
Testosterone Free 1.9 [1.3 – 9.2]

Thanks in advance for taking a look
Christy

Old 03-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #12
(female)

crjones HB User

It’s been a while since I posted because I haven’t had much to report. On my last visit in January my Dr. increased my Levothryoxine to 50 mcg and also increased my DHEA/Testosterone/Progesterone. I’m really confused by my new labs and hoping to get some opinions on what may be going on. I noticed that the ranges have changed for everything and he didn’t test the same things each time. I’ve also added some other hormone labs in there in case anyone knows about them and can give an opinion. I used the formula that mkgbrook gave me to calculate my actual thyroid hormone ranges and it looks like my % have dropped for TSH and FT4 and stayed the same for FT3 – should I ask for Armour or synthetic T3???

I was feeling better at one point but over the last month and a half I haven’t been feeling great. Tired, insomnia, waking up in the middle of the night and having anxiety, extremely irritable, low libido again, muscle ache/pain in upper left shoulder/neck/back (I think this has more to do with a trigger point issue, but not certain). My hormonal migraines seem to be going away so that’s a positive.

3/14/12
TSH 2.150 [0.270 – 4.200] 34%
T4 Free 1.17 [0.93 – 1.70] 31%
T3 Free 2.71 [2.10 – 4.40] 26%
DHEA 3.350 [0.63 – 4.70]
DHT 70.5 [24.0 – 208.0]
Estradiol 129 [no range given]
Progesterone 0.9 [no range given]

1/5/12
TSH 2.27 [0.34 – 5.60] 36%
DHEA 3.370 [1.33 – 7.78]
Progesterone 3.1 [no range given]
Testosterone Free 3.4 [1.3 – 9.2]

11/11/11
TSH 2.88 [0.34 – 5.60] 48%
T3 Free 3.55 [2.39 – 6.79] 26%
DHEA 2.600 [1.33 – 7.78]
Progesterone 0.5 [no range given]
Testosterone Free 1.9 [1.3 – 9.2]

Thanks in advance for taking a look
Christy

Old 08-15-2012, 11:46 AM   #13
(female)

crjones HB User

It’s been a while since I posted but I have some new labs and I’m curious as to what they mean now.

My TSH seems to have come up, but T4 and T3 are still low.

TSH 3.55. Range is .450-4.500 – 76% of range (48% of range in Nov’11)
Free T4 - 1.12 Range is .82-1.77 – 34% of range (33% of range in Nov’11)
Free T3 - 2.7 Range 2.0-4.4 – 29% of range (26% of range in Nov’11)

I don’t understand how/why the TSH would come up so much but the Free T3 and Free T4 remain almost the same.

I had the thyroid antibody tests also and I don’t have a clue as to how to read the results.

Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) Ab - 14 - Range is 0-34
Antithyrogobulin Ab - 25 - Range is 0-40

I'm still not feeling great. I just want to wake up and feel normal! Will that ever happen?

Thanks for any insight you may have into this
Christy

Old 08-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #14
(female)

blueskies44 HB User

Hello I'm fairly new to this, but to me, it looks like you need a dose increase.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User

Have you had your antibodies tested? Just to make sure you don't have Hashimoto's? I have hashi's and tried a synthetic thyroid med and couldn't take it. I switched to Naturethroid (it's like Armour) and feel much better. Most of us feel better when our TSH is around 1.00 and our T3 & T4 are in the 75% to 80% of the lab range. Because I have hashi's, I feel better when my TSH is below 1.00.
Your T3 is in the basement. Maybe you are not converting the T4 very well. I am one of those people who don't and needed a dessicated combined med that contains both T3 & T4. The med you are taking contains only T4. Maybe your doc could bump your dose and add a small amount of T3 to see if it helps. Remember, T3 can be tricky. Don't take too much of it or you will be climbing trees in the middle of the night! ;-)

Reply Reply