It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2011, 10:36 AM   #1
(male)

stevefromsd HB User
Switching from Synthroid to Armour Thyroid

I am currently switching from Synthroid to "Nature Throid" (Similar to Armour Thyroid). I was originally taking Synthroid since July 2011 and have been on the Nature Throid for three weeks now.

I feel as if I am completely starting over. Things were OK but not great while on the Synthroid. A friend told me about Armour Throid so I thought I'd give one of the natural drugs with the T 3 and T 4 a try. Since changing the drugs I have been very fatigued and waking up with a major headache.

Has anyone else gone through this when switching Thyroid Meds? How long does the body take to adjust to the new drug before the Hypothyroid symptoms go away????

Last edited by stevefromsd; 12-12-2011 at 09:51 PM.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:33 PM   #2
(female)

deb03 HB User
Re: Switching from Synthroid to Armour Thyroid

I was hesitant to even post on this sight, no one seems to answer, I have been on synthroid for 3 months now and am not getting any better so I am cutting down on it and trying a natural supplement. Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefromsd View Post
I am currently switching from Synthroid to "Nature Throid" (Similar to Armour Thyroid). I was originally taking Synthroid since July 2011 and have been on the Nature Throid for three weeks now.

I feel as if I am completely starting over. Things were OK but not great while on the Synthroid. A friend told me about Armour Throid so I thought I'd give one of the natural drugs with the T 3 and T 4 a try. Since changing the drugs I have been very fatigued and waking up with a major headache.

Has anyone else gone through this when switching Thyroid Meds? How long does the body take to adjust to the new drug before the Hypothyroid symptoms go away????
Unfortunately, when we change meds, it's like starting over.

And, when we've been deficient in thyroid hormone, it does take the body awhile to adjust to finally getting some of the hormone replaced.

Treating thyroid disease is often a two steps forward, one step back type of deal.

After we start meds or increase the dose, we might have an improvement in some symptoms. Then, it's not uncommon for symptoms to return and/or new ones develop. We get labs that show the need for a dose increase. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Things don't finally start to feel like they're heading in the right direction until we are near our optimal levels.

The best thing we can do is get labs every 6 wks. and work with the doctor to get dose adjustments until we are symptom-free.

This will most likely result in FreeT4 and FreeT3 levels in the upper third of the range.

This process can take easily 6 months and, most often, closer to a year.

Since I need my FreeT4 and FreeT3 levels higher than most people, it took 15 months to optimize my dose.

Once my dose/levels were optimized, I was symptom-free.

It's worth every effort.

The Following User Says Thank You to sammy64 For This Useful Post:
stevefromsd (12-13-2011)
Old 12-13-2011, 02:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

All of that is true, Steve.

Plus... You need to strongly consider that Nature-throid may not be working as well for you as Synthroid was. What made you switch in the first place?

No two (or three or four) thyroid hormone products works exactly the same way for any one person as another. There was a joint statement issued a few years ago by a group of three of the largest thyroid professional organizations which stated that, once a patient has found the one brand of hormone that works to restore her thyroid status and eliminate symptoms, she should be allowed to stay on the brand and not be forced to switch for insurance or any other reason.

I took Armour very successfully for over 6 years. Then they reformulated it, and it stopped working altogether. I switched to Nature-throid. For several months, it worked every bit as well as old Armour. Then, they reformulated the NT in the same way that Armour was changed. NT stopped working, too. This has been the case for many, many, many formerly successful Armour and NT users. So... You too, may be one for whom this product just doesn't work.

Your options as I see them are:
~ Stick with the NT for at least 2 more months. See how you are at that time. You'll know whether it isn't working at all or if you just need to tweak the dose.
~ If you felt somewhat better on Synthroid, you should consider whether you were taking the optimal amount. Doctors are notorious for under-dosing. If you weren't taking enough, you wouldn't get the symptom relief you're looking for. No drug will work if you're taking the wrong amount of it.

["No one seems to answer"... ??? hmmmm News to me.]

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
stevefromsd (12-13-2011)
Closed Thread