It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2011, 08:56 AM   #1
(female)

Llea HB User
Help w/my FREE T3 & T4 numbers from 12.15.11

Hi,

Please simplify what this means for me. My GP says one thing & the Alternative Medical Clinic says another. I don't feel like my GP takes into consideration my symptoms and family history - HOWEVER, the 'Alternative' place is trying to sell me $2600 worth of vitamins, treatment, etc.

Here are the essential number from my "COMPREHENSIVE METABOLIC PANEL":

FREE T4 = 1.1 range <0.8-1.8> ng/dL

FREE T3 = 2.8 range <2.3-4.2> pg/mL

There is no TSH result on here, no cholesterol, etc.

It does state that my Vitamin D & B12 are low:

VIT D = 27 range <30-100>

VIT B12 = 279* range <200-1100> pg/mL
(there is a lab note* stating results that patients w/values between 200-400 pg/mL
may experience neuropsychiatric (?) & hematologic abnormalities due to occult B12 deficiency.)

HORMONES:

Progesterone: 1.3 during mid-cycle range <2.6-21.5>

Estradiol: 155 range <64-357>

Testosterone: 51* range <2-45>

*note: Lab report states this Testosterone is HI @ 51, however, the 'Alternative Medical Clinic' states it is LOW, that we should have more testosterone than AMA states. I did notice when I had regular blood work done two years ago (not the comprehensive FREE, etc) my Testosterone then was 70 - so it HAS dropped.

I need help! I have had blood work done in 2007, 2009 & now. The first two was with my GP - it was basic thyroid, cholesterol, etc. HE said it was all fine, but ignores symptoms, family history, etc. Nothing has gotten better.

That's why I spent the money for the comprehensive this time.

I don't have insurance, so all of this is out of pocket - I don't know what these numbers mean - who to listen to.

If you need any other result please let me know - I just put down what I THINK you need - but I don't know much!

THANK YOU!! I really want 2012 to be the year I get back to me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2011, 10:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Help w/my FREE T3 & T4 numbers from 12.15.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llea View Post
FREE T4 = 1.1 range <0.8-1.8> ng/dL

FREE T3 = 2.8 range <2.3-4.2> pg/mL
These are the only two thyroid tests on the list. They strongly suggest you're hypothyroid. Healthy people would be expected, using those range, to have free T4 of at least 1.3, and free T3 of at least 3.25. Most people need them even higher. So, you'd probably benefit from some prescription thyroid hormone.

Most cases of hypoT are caused by the autoimmune disease known as Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Iodine, herbs, vitamins, or other alternative potions will not fix this. By the time symptoms show up, the gland has suffered irreparable damage that can only be made up for by supplying thyroid hormone from a pill. There is no other "natural" way to boost the function of a damaged/dead gland. So, if your alternative clinic is telling you they can if only you throw enough cash their way, run away.

I can't tell you anything about your other results, except that you should supplement with D3 to raise your D level. It doesn't have to be anything special from the alternative place, though. Any OTC brand - as long as it's D3 - will work.

Your problem, as I see it, is that mainstream medicine won't acknowledge that your T4/T3 are too low, but the alternative people want to gouge you and perhaps not address the real problem at all. Split the difference by finding an MD who is willing to prescribe natural dessicated thyroid. You might be able to get help with that by asking area pharmacists for names of such MDs. A compounding pharmacist might be especially helpful.

When lab results don't scream "hypothyroidism!!!", it can be hard to get treatment, but it's usually not impossible if you look hard enough. You have enough evidence with just those two lab results that it would be worth your effort to find it.

The following user gives a hug of support to midwest1:
Llea (12-25-2011)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
lisa789 (12-26-2011), Llea (12-25-2011)
Old 12-25-2011, 08:56 AM   #3
(female)

Llea HB User

I cannot thank you enough ... this is a wonderful Christmas gift ... simply having someone give me their objective opinion & validating the way I feel - literally & physically.

When I stated I want to get back to being 'me', I have felt so run down for so long & no one would listen to me only because my 'numbers were in range'.

The Hashimotos you mention is exactly what my mother plus ALL four of her brothers & sisters have.

I am in no way a hypochondirac - actually pride myself on being healthy & "never going to the doctor" (other than my annual ObGyn checkup) - but I just KNOW this is something I cannot ignore. Until someone helps me treat it, I will be fighting a losing battle.

THANK YOU. THANK YOU. THANK YOU. & Bless you & yours this Christmas Season!

SK

Old 12-25-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Just taking a minute away from family and Christmas to rest my back. Thought I'd check in while I sit a bit.

It makes my Christmas to know that something requiring no effort on my part helped someone else so much. Thank you for letting me know what it means.

Hashi's is a familial disease, which isn't exactly the same as "hereditary"... But your family history sure puts it in perspective. You've got "it".... Just as surely as I knew I had "it", even though I had to MD shop to get a diagnosis and proper treatment.

My dear... Do NOT give up looking for help with this.

Gotta get back in the thick of things. The next round of company is due any minute.
Have a happy one, everyone who reads this.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:32 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User

I second everything Midwest says.

I would not go for the expensive treatment, no need for that, but try to find a doctor who's willing to tread you with those labs. sure they are still 'within ranges' but can give symptoms sinc ethey are on the hypoT side.

good luck!

Old 12-26-2011, 10:07 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

I agree with everything that's been said already.

You will note from my signature that my thyroid disease journey started with Graves'.

I soon learned that all-too-many doctors don't understand thyroid disease.

After 3 clueless endos and a now-former clueless GP, I finally partnered with a thyroid-savvy doctor in the form of an internist.

Thank goodness I found her before I went hypo.

Why? Because my FreeT4 was 1.2 (.82-1.76) and my FreeT3 was 3.5 (2.0-4.4) when I presented with hypo symptoms.

So, I, too, was in the same boat you are currently in. Keep on looking for doctors until you find one that realizes what is obvious to us.

In fact, you might want to try calling local pharmacists (including compounding pharmacists) to get contact info for doctors that Rx Armour and/or Cytomel. These are two types of thyroid hormone replacement meds that thyroid-savvy doctors Rx.

Best of luck to you moving forward - please keep us posted.

The Following User Says Thank You to sammy64 For This Useful Post:
Llea (12-26-2011)
Old 12-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #7
(female)

Llea HB User

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. All of you really inspire me to fight the good fight! Not to mention, again, the validation you give me. I jus KNEW it was not in my head.

THANK YOU!

Old 06-19-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Spencer1 HB UserSpencer1 HB UserSpencer1 HB User

How are you doing now? We have similar issues? Are you better? What helped you?

Old 06-20-2012, 12:01 PM   #9
(female)

Llea HB User

Hi -

I am the same, but even more fatigued. I just had more blood tests taken last Friday (6.15.12) I will post those results when I get them. Thank you.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User

I must have missed this thread earlier. Are you being treated for B12 in the meantime?

and hang in there

Old 06-20-2012, 04:39 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Sorry you're sick - please keep us updated. I am not better either.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:41 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Are you on any medicine at this point? Or, still you haven't been treated with thyroid hormone?

Old 06-21-2012, 08:02 AM   #13
(female)

Llea HB User

Yes. I have been giving myself intramuscular B12 shots since January. It helps with the brain fog & fuzzy vision, but not my fatigue or sleep or energy levels.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:06 AM   #14
(female)

Llea HB User

Still haven't gotten results from last Friday's (6.15.12) blood work & my doctor has never given me thyroid medicine because of my 'normal blood results'.

** Also - I just found an excellent research article that is from recent months. I will post the link on here tomorrow, I am in a time crunch right now - but check back!!!

Thank you, SK 6.21.12

Reply Reply