It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
(male)

cheffyd82 HB User
Thyroid Nodules normal blood work up -negative for graves and hashimoto's

Hey There

I have recently recieved the results of an ultrasound on my thyroid, they found both glands were enlarged and a 1cm heterogeneous nodule in the right pole and a 6mm hyperechoic well defined nodule in the left pole possible adenoma

my dr preformed TSH- fell within normal range
Anti Micrsomal Antibodies- Negative
Anti Thyroid Antibodies- Negative
Free T3- Fell within Normal Range
Free T4- Fell Within Normal Range

now i am not overly concerned about cancer as i am sort of batting a thousand so to speak i have had 4 body parts scanned and all 4 have come back with tumors that are benign with the exception of 1 which is non specific in my liver.

now should i be concerned about the thyroid nodules what is the difference between a heterogeneous nodule and a hyperechoic well defined nodule?
with an enlarged thyroid and nodules is it normal for bloodwork to comeback normal and should i be concerned about that?

i am just trying to learn more and more about whats going on with my health so that i can better understand what the docs are doing...or not doing for that matter!

Thanks all

Old 01-01-2012, 06:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User
Re: Thyroid Nodules normal blood work up -negative for graves and hashimoto's

Welcome - Happy New Year!

The fact that you have two, relatively small nodules is a good sign. It's the singular nodules that *can* be of concern for thyroid cancer.

The 1cm nodule will most likely be biopsied, just to play it safe.

Reece on here knows a lot about nodules and I defer to her additional comments.

I must admit that the title of your thread really got my attention. While it doesn't seem you have Graves', the labs you posted did not indicate that you were tested for it. A TSI (thyroid stimulation immunoglobulin) or TRab (TSH receptor antibody) test is the only definitive test for Graves'.

However, the fact that your TSH, FreeT4 and FreeT3 all fell within the normal range indicates you're not dealing with Graves'.

And, just because you tested negative for the antibody test results you shared doesn't necessarily mean you don't have Hashi's....I hope not but, just wanted you to know that many people with Hashi's test negative for the antibodies.

Now, back to your TSH, FreeT4 and FreeT3 that all fell within the normal range. Please know that having levels within the normal range is fine *if* you are not dealing with any symptoms.

Now, you didn't mention symptoms so, I hope all is well for you in thyroidland. If you are dealing with any of the symptoms mentioned in this thread:

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=876498

I suggest you share the actual results of your TSH, FreeT4 and FreeT3 tests (with ranges since they vary from lab to lab).

We can show you how to interpret them.

Last edited by sammy64; 01-01-2012 at 06:20 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

In canada, they have pretty good thyroid cancer care---I knew a woman from toronto with thyroid cancer, she sent her pathology from her fna for second opinion to the mayo clinic in US for a second opinion---US docs said don't remove the thyroid it's benign, the canadian doctors really felt strong it had to go---and they were right, it was thyroid cancer, and she's fine now.

I doubt what you have is thyroid cancer---85-95% of thyroid nodules are benign, no matter what the "hypoechic" or whatever is described, are indeed benign. You are a male---they get thyroid cancer less frequently than women---but if they do find a nodule they are slightly more at risk.

You will get a needle biopsy, and if everything is clear there, you will likely just follow up and watch for changes from there---unfortunately with thyroid cancer, the only way to really know for sure is removal, but you shouldn't need to worry about that at this early point. This can come from thyroid disease since you have these signs from that.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
(male)

cheffyd82 HB User

Thanks for your replys reece and sammy64

the reason that my dr's ultrasounded me for is to see what is causing the non-specific lesion in my liver so my in essence i have been sick for predominantly 1 year and a couple months, had weight loss (roughly 120lbs) between December 2010 and feb 2011 (without trying), loss of appetite, lethargy, weakness, dissyness, constipation (i can go for 4-5 days without having to go finally i have to take lactulose, they removed my gallbladder thinking that was the problem but they were wrong and they found the 1.8cm lesion in my liver which is non specific they have ruled out HCC (hepatocellular carcinoma) and they have also ruled it out being a hemangioma, so my general surgeon thinks the thyroid is the problem were as my GP thinks the two are unrelated but is sending me to an endocrinologist for further follow up because i have had thyroid ultrasound done a few years prior and it showed no indications of enlargement or nodules.

i do agree with you both that it is not cancer at all so i am not concerned
i have requested my lab results from my GP and will post the results as soon as i get them.

no i have read on other forums that hashimotos sometimes will appear on the ultra sound first befor any blood work will come back with antibodies is this accurate?

Old 01-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheffyd82 View Post
no i have read on other forums that hashimotos sometimes will appear on the ultra sound first befor any blood work will come back with antibodies is this accurate?
Yes, but, please know that, if your thyroid function labs indicate hypothyroidism, it doesn't really matter whether or not your ultrasound indicated Hashi's.

Hypothyroidism is treated the same, regardless of the cause.

You have symptoms that *might* be due to an underactive thyroid - your labs will tell the story.

And, since many doctors cannot be relied upon to properly interpret thyroid function labs, it's to your benefit to learn how to interpret them. (it's really easy).

Many doctors forget that "normal" (aka in-range) thyroid function tests do not mean they are the patient's normal.

Closed Thread