It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #1
(male)

cadogan32 HB User
Cynomel dosing

I ordered some cynomel online and was on 12.5mcg's for 2 weeks so far.I havent felt any improvement so i upped the dosage to 16 mcg's today to try and see if that will help.My t3's only seem to be the ones horribly off so thats why i went with t3 meds.I have done a lot of research but had some questions.First off here are my lab results:

Ft4 1.5 (0.7-2.5)
Ft3 1.6 (2.5-6.5)
TSH 5.3 (0.5-3.0)
TPO 252 (0-150)

First i was wondering if anyone with my similar ft3 results how long did it take to reach the correct level?I know i have read that it should be in the upper third for normal.But for me is that around 4-5?How long does it take to raise ft3 level say about 1 point?thanks

Old 01-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
Re: Cynomel dosing

Yes you could aim to have my FT3 around that level, of course you have to try it to find "the best level" for you (and the best level can also change over time). The time it takes to get to that level is also an individual thing as in the beginning of the medication we don't know how our bodies react to the med and what the dose needed is but it took me like 2 months to feel pretty normal again, it may also take longer (even though T3 is fast acting at least in theory). I think you shouldn't increase the dose without having your labs checked first. It's quite possible your FT4 comes down after adding T3 (as your TSH drops) so you probably need to increase your T4 dose too.

I also think you should work with a doctor on this (although I can understand why one would be tempted to self medicate - and I too adjust my medications by myself, I do have prescriptions though )

Last edited by FinnMaid; 01-03-2012 at 09:27 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2012, 09:51 PM   #3
(male)

cadogan32 HB User

I wrote a big long reply but for some reason it didnt post.Its just frustrating not knowing how long its gonna take but having a 2 month timeline is better than nothing.Any idea why my t3 is so low and my tsh and t4 not too bad off?I was on 25mcg levo for a month but didnt notice any difference so i tried to find something else that would work.

Doctor would not prescribe cytomel and told me straight out he never prescribed it for as long as he has been a doctor.not sure if thats true but i guess its common for doctors too not prescribe it.The doctor i goto is through a free clinic so its tough to be seen to get prescribed levo.Ill see what i can do about trying to get on it again and explain how i got cynomel.lol

Can i ask how bad were you feeling compared to now?I have no one to really relate too as far as having the similar lab results.thanks

Old 01-04-2012, 01:21 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadogan32 View Post
Any idea why my t3 is so low and my tsh and t4 not too bad off?I was on 25mcg levo for a month but didnt notice any difference so i tried to find something else that would work.

Can i ask how bad were you feeling compared to now?I have no one to really relate too as far as having the similar lab results.thanks
Oh ok, so your T4 dose is very small and it's not surprising it hasn't done much for you. I'm sure your T4 dose needs to come up too. Your FT4 isn't horribly bad, but your TSH is way off - maybe because of your very low FT3 - you're obviously not converting your T4 to T3 well.

I was already on 175 of T4 (had started to increase my T4 dose from 87.5 just 5 months before but it hadn't done much for me) and ended up feeling like a zombie - it was horrible, I couldn't sleep but also couldn't keep my eyes open, got absolutely nothing done, totally foggy, I couldn't speak properly (which really didn't matter since I didn't have much to say 'cause my brain wasn't working), couldn't stand on my two feet in the morning (had to crawl to the medicine cabinet)... I continued to feel horrible during the first couple of weeks on T3 but little by little (when I was able to sleep again) I started to feel like a human being.

I don't know what my FT3 was before adding T3 but I'm pretty sure it wasn't as low compared to the reference range as yours (10 mcgs brought me smack in the middle of the reference range and I've later learned that 10 mcgs moves my FT3 by about .9 units).

Last edited by FinnMaid; 01-04-2012 at 05:02 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to FinnMaid For This Useful Post:
cadogan32 (01-04-2012)
Old 01-04-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
(male)

cadogan32 HB User

Just by reading your symptoms i can relate to all of it.I feel like a complete zombie 100 % of the time.I'll have to do more research on reasons why its nots converting like u said.Im thinking i might stick with where iam at with 16.5mcg of cynomel and get a blood test soon from the place i was doing them online.

This original blood test was done before i started on thyroid meds,so i can kinda go from that to see how its going.Thanks for the reply and any bit of info helps me out Once i get the new results i'll post them here.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #6
(male)

cadogan32 HB User

Hi,i just had an update on my blood test.I have been on the 25mcg of cynomel for a little more than a month,and still feel the same as i did before taking it.This was my new ft3 level:

3.1 (2.0-4.4) pg/mL

I was reading on other forums that it should be up towards 3.9.Does anyone believe that if i get it up there,it will make that much of a difference?I had looked into possibly an adrenal problem,so had done a saliva test last year too.I started on isocort a few days back,in hopes that will help.

morning cortisol: 19.2h range 3.7-9.5
noon cortisol 1.6 range 1.2-3.0
evening cortisol 0.6 range 0.6-1.9
night cortisol 1.0 range 0.4-1.0

I figured by now iam sure i ended up with adrenal fatigue cause i didn't start trying to fix it until a few months ago.Does anyone have any ideas on what i might do?I was hoping maybe 5mcg more of cynomel might stick me up to the 3.9 rangs.

Closed Thread