It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #1
(female)

chekur HB User
How did you get a doctor to listen to you?

Okay, so maybe two years ago or so, I was getting tested for various illnesses as I had started developing symptoms. I was (and still am) anemic, and when we found that out, my doctor treated that and told me everything I was experiencing was because of my low-iron anemia. I'm gonna write out my most prevalent symptoms, so bear with me here.

My skin is dry and coarse. The skin on my scalp is the same. I have been losing my hair. I'm always cold. My voice is always hoarse, my throat always dry. I get recurring chest and sinus infections. I suddenly developed allergies. I feel the need to yawn to get a deep breath, like I'm never breathing as fully as I should be. i've developed carpal tunnel syndrome. I have constipation. My menstrual cycles are so heavy I've been know to throw up or pass out. My libido is gone. I suffer from depression and anxiety disorder.

I have many more symptoms, but I wont bore you with them. Suffice it to say, they're all symptoms shared by those with hypothyroidism, as I have come to learn. On top pf all that, i have members on both sides of my family with known thyroid problems.

Despite all this, my doctor did one thyroid test and told me I was 'within normal levels' and that was the end of that. He didnt even tell me what my levels WERE. And when I brought it up again a year later because I had discoverd that the blood tests weren't always accurate, he got rude and condescending and reminded me that HE was the doctor. I asked to be referred to an endocrinologist, he said he didnt see the point.

i'm very easily discouraged, and authority figures make me very anxious, so I didn't push it. And to this day, I feel as miserable as I did years ago. What am I supposed to do when my doctor won't listen to me?

Also, has anyone had any luck with getting a naturopath to listen?

EDIT: forgot to mention my ridiculous weight gain. With mynweight these days, it feels like a constant grueling effort just to keep it the same weight, and even then... It's like pushing a boulder up a steep hill. If I stop pushing even for a second, the boulder rolls right back on top of me and down the hill, and sometimes despite all my pushing the boulder goes NOWHERE.

Last edited by chekur; 01-25-2012 at 02:36 PM. Reason: edited symptoms

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
(female)

sak12344 HB User
Re: How did you get a doctor to listen to you?

quote you: "What am I supposed to do when my doctor won't listen to me?"

My thought: Find another doctor! Seriously, don't let them waste your time. In hindsight, I am so frustrated at how much time was wasted by docs who didn't listen to me. YOU know how YOU feel. You must have the tenacity of a weed to continue your search for a knowledgeable doctor / naturopath / person. Don't give up the fight.

quote you: "Also, has anyone had any luck with getting a naturopath to listen?"

My thought: YES... it wasn't until I found a good ARNP and naturopath that I finally got Dx'd (see my thread "hypothyroid sucks... hi, I'm new". Unfortunately, the ARNP doesn't contract with insurance companies so, I had to send in the paperwork myself, and was promptly denied reimbursement. Which stinks but, no matter... I've wasted enough copays on useless doctors who take insurance coverage but provide nothing in the way of results. I've decided that if I have to pay for it out of my own pocket to get some knowledgeable, compassionate assistance, then that's what I'm going to do.

Edited to added: your analogy of pushing the boulder up the hill only to have it roll back down actually the Greek Mythology story of Sisyphus. Just a bit of trivia. See the google search link... the images sure do ring familiar in our situation, don't they?

[url]http://www.***********/#hl=en&sugexp=pfwl&cp=4&gs_id=t&xhr=t&q= sisyphus&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&site=&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=sisy&aq=0&aq i=g4&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_g c.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=6720f052f737ff2e&biw=9 28&bih=1001[/url]

One more thing, re: the inability to take a deep breath... I've noticed this too. Just last week I decided to watch some youtube video on Tai Chi - Qigong in the hopes of it helping me to fall asleep easier. Well, not only did it help me to fall asleep, it's helped me to take deeper breaths. Something about the practice of very slow movements combined with slow deep breaths has made a positive difference. Just something you might want to try.

Last edited by sak12344; 01-25-2012 at 03:54 PM.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

The more an MD argues with me, the more determined I get to prove him wrong. LOL
I'm just a HS graduate, but I can darn well read, learn, and discover the errors of their medical ways. When my ex-PCP told me "it" could not be my thyroid, when I knew it was, I saw a different MD who gave me my diagnosis. I couldn't wait to high-tail it back to that PCP for just enough visits to throw it in his smug face... Then I fired him.

First things first, the HIPAA laws make it mandatory for an MD to release copies of your medical records upon request. Get a copy of whatever test was done (probably just TSH, which definitely is NOT the be-all, end-all of thyroid tests). Ask the the appropriate office person for the copy. If you get any guff about it, just say "Isn't that a violation of the HIPAA rules?" See how fast they move on it then. You can post the result here for input, although a feeble TSH result isn't indicative of anything, really. Your symptoms and family history say much more. Now you need the labs to go with them in order to prove the diagnosis.

The tests you need are TSH, free T4, free T3, anti-TPO and anti-Tg. Nothing less will do. If Dr. Bonehead won't run them, find a better MD who is more interested in getting you well than in being "right" (even when he's wrong).

And here's a tip - Even though weight gain and failure to lose are typical hypoT symptoms, don't oversell that to whichever MD you see next. If they get even a tiny suspicion that you want thyroid hormone as a weight loss drug, they'll never give you the diagnosis. Mention it in passing along with the other symptoms, but don't dwell on it.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:49 AM   #4
(female)

chekur HB User

Thanks for all the tips, guys. It's kind of both encouraging and discouraging to learn how many doctors seem to all-out refuse to diagnose thyroid issues. It makes no sense whatsoever. I'm really hoping my naturopath takes me seriously in all of this.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:08 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Please let us know what happens next for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
chekur (01-28-2012)
Closed Thread