It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2012, 07:11 AM   #1
(female)

Cat346 HB User
Thyroxine, Armour, Erfa or Thyro Gold?

I was on thyroxine for 10 years (Hashimoto's), 200 mcg/day for the past three years. I felt OK but it was impossible for me to lose weight. Then I read about Thyro Gold and it sounded great. I ordered a bottle and it felt like I had been kicked by a horse (in a good way, that is). But the problem was that I did not know how much T3 and T4 it contained, so I was afraid to continue taking it. I didn't know if I should discontinue the thyroxine altogether or combine the two. Thyro Gold was also a great hunger suppressant.

A few months ago, I found a doctor willing to prescribe natural thyroid hormone. Lab results on thyroxine only showed acceptable levels of free T3 and T4 in blood and low TSH, but low levels of T3 and T4 in urine. The doctor prescribed Armour but I convinced the pharmacy to give me a bottle of Erfa as well so that I could compare the two.

I have to say that Armour seems quite weak; I am currently taking 205 g daily and need to raise it as I feel sluggish on my current dose. Erfa, on the other hand, tends to make me hyper. I take it twice daily and sublingually, whereas I swallow the Armour and take it once a day in the morning. Armour does not make me hyper at all, rather the opposite, even if I take it in a single dose, whereas I need to split Erfa. If I need to raise the Erfa even further, I am going to have to split it into three daily doses as I cannot take more than 90 mg at a time.

Would an alternative be to go back to thyroxine and add Thyro Gold; I was thinking about 200 mcg of Thyroxine and 1 capsule of TG?

I would really appreciate any advice as I don't feel as great on NTH as I feel "should", given how well everybody else seems to be doing on it...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread