It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2012, 04:59 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

jaymee456 HB Userjaymee456 HB Userjaymee456 HB User
Could I be hypothyroid? Please see labs

Hello, this is my first post on this board.
Please bear with me while I give a little background.

I am a 32 year old female. My BMI is currently 22, so I am not overweight, though have gained about 10 lbs since having my son two years ago (after losing the baby weight). During my pregnancy, I went from 142 lbs to 212. Some weeks, I would gain 10 or 11 lbs per week, without eating much. My TSH was never checked during my pregnancy. Before I fell pregnant, I had my TSH tested and it was 2.63.

I have/ had unexplained infertility, with two early miscarriages during non-medicated cycles. While taking progesterone during hormone cycles to get pregnant, the TSH measured 1.25. I am not sure if this is a fluke number or if the thyroid was better stimulated by the progesterone supplementation. I normally have very low progesterone levels in the luteal phase, enough to indicate ovulation but not to sustain a pregnancy.

Last August, my TSH was 2.52. Last week, I had it checked again and it was 2.88. This time, I asked that they check FT3 and FT4. However, I think they checked total T3 and FT4. The total T3 was 86 and FT4 was 0.9. Since both of this numbers are at the bottom of the range, I can only assume that FT3 is low as well. I will be paying a visit to my reproductive endocrinologist today to ask for thyroid antibody testing and FT3.

I do have many symptoms of hypothyroidism but I just don't know if my sluggish thyroid is the cause of my infertility or the result of low progesterone levels. I also have very low iron and Vit D levels. Below are some more labs. I was taking prenatal vitamins for a long time before have these labs drawn.

RBC (in 2009) - 4.1 (4.2-5.1)
Hemoglobin - 12.6 (12-16)
Hematocrit - 38 (35-47)
Glucose (2008) - 79 (2009) 77 (2012) 94
Iron (2012) - 32 (34-165)
TIBC -322 (250-450)
Transferrin saturation - 10% (15-50)
UIBC- 290 (110-370)
Vit D - 28 (30-100?)
TSH (2008) 2.63 (2009) 1.25 (2011) 2.52 (2012) 2.88
T3 - 86 (80-180)
FT4 - 0.9 (0.9-2)

I have very dry skin and scalp, unexplained chronic dry eye (no contacts), very heavy period with short cycles (21-26 days), mittelschmertz, PMS (with bad cramps), I feel very cold all the time, especially hands and feet. BBT in first half of cycle is around 97. Second half is 98.4 (though my progesterone levels seem to have improved lately since supplementing with B Complex). My estrogen levels are usually good but progesterone varies. I have zero libido. I have no "get up and go." I know this could be attributed to depression or personality but my labs are making me question whether something is causing this. I used to enjoy cooking so much and now I can barely muster the energy to order food. I feel really guilty about this, especially.

Thank you for reading this far. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by jaymee456; 02-06-2012 at 10:41 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Re: Could I be hypothyroid? Please see labs

Oh, forgot to add. I can barely absorb or retain information these days. This could also be related to the chronic fatigue I have been experiencing. Not sure if this is due to thyroid or 2 year old who doesn't like to sleep!
I will be having my FT3 and thyroid antibodies measured tomorrow. Very curious to see the results. Though the idea of a thyroid condition should be very scary, I am so sick of searching for the reason for my infertility. Grasping for any explanation at the moment!

Old 02-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

You're definitely hypothyroid, based on sustained TSH above 2, very low thyroid hormone levels, and symptoms. I can't tell you for certain if that's the reason for your infertility, but hypothyroidism is one of the foremost reasons for it.

Your best chances of conception and successful, full-term pregnancy will be enhanced if you lower your TSH to around 1.2 and raise your FT4 to 1.4 or better (on a .8-1.8 range). It appears you're going to need supplemental thyroid hormone to do that.

If I were you, I'd put on my best assertive face and demand some Synthroid or natural dessicated hormone.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:16 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
You're definitely hypothyroid, based on sustained TSH above 2, very low thyroid hormone levels, and symptoms. I can't tell you for certain if that's the reason for your infertility, but hypothyroidism is one of the foremost reasons for it.

Your best chances of conception and successful, full-term pregnancy will be enhanced if you lower your TSH to around 1.2 and raise your FT4 to 1.4 or better (on a .8-1.8 range). It appears you're going to need supplemental thyroid hormone to do that.

If I were you, I'd put on my best assertive face and demand some Synthroid or natural dessicated hormone.
Thanks, Midwest. I've been asking my RE about the possibility of being hypothyroid for 4 years now. He humoured me and eventually tested the level again and that is when he got 1.25 for TSH but he never checked the FT3 or FT4. I got pregnant the next month, so I did not pursue it further. I do wonder if the TSH was low because of the progesterone supplementation from the preceding months. Will be testing FT3 and antithyroid antibodies today. Hope I get some answers.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:32 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

If you don't get them this time, see as many MDs as it takes to get that diagnosis.

My firstborn arrived 2 months premature due to placental abruption. It was decades later when I learned that TPO antibodies can cause placental abruption. I realize now that I had thyroid symptoms then, but they weren't yet severe and were easy to ignore.

The book Living Well with Hypothyroidism has an informative chapter on pregnancy and hypoT. Do your reading, so you're armed with some reliable information in case you have to fight about this.

Best of luck. Let us know how it goes.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-15-2012 at 11:50 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
jaymee456 (02-07-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
I urge you... If you don't get them this time, see as many MDs as it takes to get that diagnosis.

Thank you so much!
I had a few blood tests done this morning. I noticed the requisition form from my RE did not have the FT3 on it, despite my asking for it TWICE. They will be checking for antibodies though.
So, I called my PCP from the lab and asked if she could fax over a req for some vitamin levels and FT3 and, in a rather hostile tone (I don't even know the woman), she told me that my thyroid labs were fine and that the infertility thing was turning me into a hypochondriac. She did not use the word directly but her meaning was clear. So, she refused to do any testing and said it was not my place to ask for tests. I wanted to have my ferritin, magnesium and retinol levels checked but I guess I will have to wait until I can find another PCP. This kind of BS is really disheartening.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:55 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

You know... I once encountered an office staff person with that kind of attitude, and I changed doctors solely because of her. If the doctor herself was that kind of person, I'd remind just who is the "paying customer" and be out of there in a NY minute. Wouldn't dream in a million years taking that kind of abuse. You absolutely DO have the right to ask for the tests you deem appropriate.

Keep at it, girl!

Old 02-07-2012, 01:17 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

The nurse at my RE's office treated me the same way. She scoffed when she found out I was concerned about my TSH being high. I felt like asking her if she had a better explanation as to why a "healthy" 20 something woman couldn't get and stay pregnant after two years of trying. Fertility doctors are a special breed of their own. Thyroid patients complain their doctors DON'T want to treat them with medications, I wish that was the case with fertility doctors. They are in such a hurry to push hormones onto you without even attempting to find a cause. My first RE actually had the nerve to tell me that it didn't matter what the cause was, the solution was still going to be fertility meds.

Closed Thread

Tags
hypothyroid, infertility, labs, low iron, miscarriage