It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2012, 05:32 AM   #1
(female)

mmgeao93 HB User
REALLY high thyroglobulin antibody levels (TgAb)

I might be just reading this wrong, but I have been browsing other threads and haven't found anybody else's results this high.

specimen:serum
thyroglobulin antibodies (U/ml) = 5623 (<60)
thyroid peroxidase antibodies (U/ml) = 2652 (<60)

TSH = 9.52 mIU/L (0.35 - 5.50)

my t4 and t3 were within normal range.

Has anyone else had results this high? Am I reading it wrong? Do I have hashimoto's disease? I'm totally new to all this so any explanation would be great

Old 02-22-2012, 05:55 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
Re: REALLY high thyroglobulin antibody levels (TgAb)

Yes you do have Hashi's and I think some other people have had their abs as high (our lab measures TPOAb up to 1000 - if it's above, like my Abs, we don't know by how much and it doesn't matter really - it's just freaking high ). Selenium supplement may help bring those TPOAbs down a bit but I don't know if it has any real use in your case.

Are you on thyroid supplement yet? If you're not you should be. TSH that high is a clear indicator of hypoT even if your freeTs (were they freeTs or Total Ts?) are still "within range". Healthy people usually have their TSH around 1-1.5.

Find out what your actual thyroid levels have been and their reference ranges - make sure you get those FREE Ts tested (as they are more accurate than total ie. "plain" Ts), learn to interpret your labs (we can help you with that ) so you can keep up with your situation and be proactive with your treatment.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 02-22-2012 at 06:00 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2012, 06:33 AM   #3
(female)

gummy33 HB User

I have been taking Selenium since 1 Nov 11 and my TPO antibodies went from 620 to 261. And the thyroglobulin antibodies went from 218 to 138. I know they are still there and will never go away, but I think lower is better. Also, it could be coincidence, who knows. But Selenium is good for you and a cancer deterrent, so no harm no foul.

My Endo did not think anything about taking Selenium for this, in fact she thought it was useless. But she humored me and let me test them again after taking the Selenium. I haven't spoke with her about it, but we will see what she thinks about it as a treatment.

Good luck with getting your thyroid straight!

Old 03-22-2012, 10:02 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Gummy, if your endo was any kind of scientist, she would be curious enough about what you've told her to investigate it for herself. PubMed is full of studies that have proven anti-TPOs can be reduced by selenium.

Now, it may be true that it's "useless" to do so, in that it won't reverse the Hashimoto's; but it can make a person more comfortable to reduce anti-TPOs, since they are a marker of thyroid inflammation which causes certain symptoms and discomfort.

If you want study titles to print out and show her, I can provide you with a few if you let me know.

Last edited by midwest1; 03-22-2012 at 10:03 AM.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #5
(female)

kmusic HB User
Smile Re: REALLY high thyroglobulin antibody levels (TgAb)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmgeao93 View Post
I might be just reading this wrong, but I have been browsing other threads and haven't found anybody else's results this high.

specimen:serum
thyroglobulin antibodies (U/ml) = 5623 (<60)
thyroid peroxidase antibodies (U/ml) = 2652 (<60)

TSH = 9.52 mIU/L (0.35 - 5.50)

my t4 and t3 were within normal range.

Has anyone else had results this high? Am I reading it wrong? Do I have hashimoto's disease? I'm totally new to all this so any explanation would be great
Hi,
My thyroglubulin antibodies were 81.35 and thyroid peroxidase antibodies were 3567. My TSH was7.24. And all my thyroid levels and iodine were all on the low level of normal range. I also had serious inflammation in the thyroid area.

I was diagnosed with thyroiditis, probably Hashimotos. The last two months I've been treated for the inflammation (6 weeks) and have also been taking levotiroxina daily.

All of my thyroid levels and especially TSH have reached normal levels (I feel much better) and my thyroid peroxidase antibodies were reduced to 1620.
I understand that the antibody levels take a while to lower and may never go back to "normal" levels.

Hope this will lead you in the right direction.

Reply Reply