It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2012, 11:23 AM   #1
(female)

lab37153 HB User
Solitary Thyroid Nodule...Biopsy inconclusive

My story begins about 2 months ago. I started feeling like there was a knot in my throat. I finally went to my GP who sent me for a thyroid ultrasound. The results are :

thyroid gland measures 45 x 19 x 34 mm on the right lobe and left lobe is 37 x 15 x 18. Isthmus is 24 mm. Right side nodule is 20 x 30 x 32 mm in the upper pole gland.

If my math is correct that's 2x3x3.2 cm. Went to endo. they told me the nodule was fairly large and needed to do a fine needle biopsy. They also did blood work. Doctor says blood work is essentially normal (he didn't give me a copy of the results but I intend to get them) and performed the biopsy. He took 5 samples but now says they did not get enough tissue to get a definitive diagnosis. He is suggesting they wait 3-6 months and repeat the ultrasound to see if the nodule has grown.

I am not comfortable with just waiting around to see if it continues to grow. From everything I have read (and what the dr. told me) thyroid cancer is rare but it does happen. Not to mention the stress this possibility is putting on my daily life is horrible. I called another endo. to set up a second opinion and when I explained what was going on they acted like it was not a big deal and said they would need to review all my results before deciding whether or not to schedule an appointment, as if they didn't want to see me if it was a second opinion.

Does anybody have any information as to whether or not the nodule is considered large or suggestions on how I should proceed?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Solitary Thyroid Nodule...Biopsy inconclusive

Most of these nodules turn out to be benign, and if it were (hopefully not) thyroid cancer, it's usually very slow growing, so you can take your time to evaluate and decide. That's why the doctors are not alarmed.

Personally (as someone who had thyroid cancer), I would see an ENT/surgeon with a specialty in thyroids---that is the best opinion. The reason is, that nodule is growing large (not that tremendous, but 3cm is on the larger side), and sometimes, these things grow out of control and become more difficult to remove, and can effect other structures in the neck---yours is starting to constrict you, which is why you have symptoms. Blood work is not helpful in evaluating thyroid cancer, because it's usually normal.

See the surgeon, find one that does many thyroid surgeries a week, so they have experience to provide an educated opinion. Try not to worry---your worst case scenario is a curable, relatively easy to treat cancer, which it likely isn't cancer in your case.

Last edited by Reece; 02-23-2012 at 01:56 PM.

Closed Thread