It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
(female)

SickandTired31 HB User
Newly diagnosed w/hypothyroid

Hi all. I have been following this board for awhile. First, thank you to all who post here. It helped me to correctly diagnose myself and find a doctor who would finally treat me (took me 3 doctors, including an endo - treating Dr. is a D.O.).

Anyway, I am only a few weeks into my starter dose (25 mcg Synthroid). I wanted to solicit thoughts on treatment in light of my labs and symptoms.

Latest labs:
TSH 2.25 (0.45-4.5) - was 0.5 when I was healthy, has steadily increased over the past year and a half
FT4 1.19 (0.82-1.77)
FT3 2.7 (2.0-4.4)

Also, I have very high cortisol levels - 24h UFC is 98 (range 0-50).

My major symptoms are cold intolerance, MAJOR edema, fatigue, peeling fingertips, and slow steady weight gain despite very clean diet and regular exercise.

Anyone have any thoughts on treatment? How long should it take me to titrate up to a theraputic dose?

Old 03-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User
Re: Newly diagnosed w/hypothyroid

Welcome!

Sorry for the reason you're here but, glad you found us.

Pat yourself on the back for working towards getting a proper diagnosis and treatment.

The meds titration process is quite individual-specific. Many people are able to optimize their levels/doses within six months although the average does seem closer to a year.

It took 15 months for my levels to finally optimize and stay that way. I hit my optimal levels twice during the meds titration process so, didn't always have steady dose increases. And, I need my levels higher than most for me to be symptom-free. These two types of situations add time to the process.

I think the best anyone can do is to get labs every 6 wks. and push the doctor for dose increases until levels are similar to the types of levels healthy people have: FreeT4 and FreeT3 around 60-80% of range.

Based upon your lab's ranges, this would mean FreeT4 1.4-1.6 and FreeT3 3.4-3.8

Then, if symptoms remain, ask the doctor to tweak the dose in the hopes of eliminating them.

I don't know how to interpret adrenal labs but can tell you that rhodiola rosea has been shown to help with stress and improve adrenal function.

Best of luck to you moving forward!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Me again

I forgot to tell you that treating thyroid disease isn't a quick fix. While you might have some symptom improvement, please know that it's common for some symptoms to worsen or new ones develop.

It's basically a two steps forward, one step back type of deal.

Things do start to smooth out a bit as you near your optimal levels but, complete symptom elimination doesn't start to happen for a few weeks after hitting those optimal levels.

Treating thyroid disease really requires a patient patient.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
(female)

SickandTired31 HB User

Thanks so much! Does anyone know how the cortisol interacts with the thyroid function? I have read two theories - (1) high cortisol suppresses TSH (which explains why I am very symptomatic, but TSH isn't higher); and/or (2) cortisol is high because the failing thyroid puts so much stress on the body. Does anyone have any experience with this?

My endo is continuing to explore the cortisol issue for Cushing's (waiting on results of dexamethazone suppression test), but I don't think it's a tumor (I haven't gained weight rapidly enough and my liver function is normal, which are typically hallmark symptoms of Cushing's).

Old 08-16-2012, 07:37 PM   #5
(female)

Courtney11375 HB User

Just found out today need to be on synthroid, newly dx'd...new to board, if i am posting wrong place apologies...

Just need to know, I want to find out if I might have pituitary tumor, or autoimmune issue that is playing into my condtion/symptoms, but my MD kind of poopoo's this like hypochondriac, should I just take the synthroid and shut up or push for more work up as to cause of the problem.

thank you for input, sorry if this should have been posted elsewhere!

Last edited by Courtney11375; 08-16-2012 at 08:27 PM. Reason: error

Reply Reply

Tags
hypothyroid